Georgia Alternate Fuel Tax

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
funny, because the HOV lane I drive next to every day is nearly 75% single drivers and commercial truck drivers. (and it does not have an allowance for anyone but 2+ passenger cars and motorcycles - no EVs or 'paid' usage). it is essentially the express lane for those willing to gamble on not getting pulled over.
And they don't even have a stuffed Gorilla next to them?

Ballsy!;)

sharksfan22

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We have those pay-to-use lanes here in CA as well. I may be in the minority though when I say that I don't have a problem with the variable/traffic-based pricing to allow folks who choose to spend their money to buy their way in. I know it's not a popular opinion, so please don't kill me. :)

What I do have a problem with is the lack of transparent accountability. How much money does the state collect from those tolls and where does that money go??

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
One thing about the pay per use lanes. Even if a driver can not afford to use them, the fact that others are lightens the load on the free lanes as well so it benefits all...or at least it could in theory.

Dan

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing about the pay per use lanes. Even if a driver can not afford to use them, the fact that others are lightens the load on the free lanes as well so it benefits all...or at least it could in theory.

Dan
So do free hov lanes, as do additional unrestricted lanes. Making these toll lanes benefits only those who choose to pay and the State coffers.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So do free hov lanes, as do additional unrestricted lanes. Making these toll lanes benefits only those who choose to pay and the State coffers.
But this offers a way to help pay for them thus benefiting all Georgia tax payers. I will never use one of the pay lanes as I don't use those corridors enough to justify the expense, but I will definitely benefit from others that do...both on the highway and on my tax bill.

Dan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is an insult to have to pay annually adjusted $213.69 AFV fee. I did get the AFV tag despite the confusion as to how to take advantage of it.

Well at least there appear to be good things happening with solar in GA:
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/...-scale-clean-energy-investments-2018-election
Unfortunately, more and more GA power companies (Not just GA Power) have been investing in solar, because it is beneficial for them financially in the long term. Many smaller cooperative power companies have been doing this for years. Theres over 1000 acres in Reynolds and Butler alone with solar installations on them and another 500+ acres coming near Macon, GA and i'm sure there's more that I haven't already heard about up and running and soon to be coming. I can vouch for these installations, not causing an adustment in my bill for the better, but instead gone up about 60%. Until and only until the consumer can install solar in a cost beneficial way that affects their bottom line, this is non news for me, it's all hypothetical.

I also agree that it is an insult to pay a ridiculous fee for driving green vehicles, but with this past election cycle, don't expect it to get any better any time soon; we are just plain and simply backwards thinking down here.

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Unfortunately, more and more GA power companies (Not just GA Power) have been investing in solar, because it is beneficial for them financially in the long term. Many smaller cooperative power companies have been doing this for years. Theres over 1000 acres in Reynolds and Butler alone with solar installations on them and another 500+ acres coming near Macon, GA and i'm sure there's more that I haven't already heard about up and running and soon to be coming. I can vouch for these installations, not causing an adustment in my bill for the better, but instead gone up about 60%. Until and only until the consumer can install solar in a cost beneficial way that affects their bottom line, this is non news for me, it's all hypothetical.

I also agree that it is an insult to pay a ridiculous fee for driving green vehicles, but with this past election cycle, don't expect it to get any better any time soon; we are just plan and simply backwards thinking down here.
Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly are the restrictions on personal solar power installations in Georgia? If there is a link or something to that information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dan

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes you are getting screwed. So am I. I paid about $98 in gas taxes last year. This is all brought to you by the legislators who think climate change is a hoax and Atlanta air is clean enough. Yep, the same people who got rid o the $5K EV rebate. These are those great legislators who care more about their campaign donors than they care about their grandchildren.
Only one way to solve this: Remember these folks when you vote.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes you are getting screwed. So am I. I paid about $98 in gas taxes last year. This is all brought to you by the legislators who think climate change is a hoax and Atlanta air is clean enough. Yep, the same people who got rid o the $5K EV rebate. These are those great legislators who care more about their campaign donors than they care about their grandchildren.
Please, if you are lucky enough to find a politician who cares as much or more about their constituency than about themselves, let me know.