Georgia Alternate Fuel Tax

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
To quote Forest Gump "I am not a smart man". That said, can someone please explain to me how the Georgia alternate fuel tax is even remotely fair?

I have to pay $213 every year for the life of the car. That's in addition to the TAVT tax I paid at delivery. Every car, ICE and electric, has to pay that. However, with an ICE you are done from that point forward. So that $213 per year is supposed to cover the lost revenue in gas taxes that I won't pay. That money goes to pay for upkeep of the highway system etc. I get that and have no problem paying my fair share.
At current tax rates and gas prices, the State tax is about $.27 for every gallon of gas. That means I would have to purchase 750 gallons of gas per year to equal the cost of my Alternate Fuel Tax. At 30 miles per gallon that is almost 23,000 miles per year I would have to drive to justify what I am being taxed! I won't drive half that and I doubt most drivers would. Oh, and by the way, on top of that I AM being taxed for my "fuel" in my electric bill.

What am I missing?

I feel like I'm getting screwed [mod edit].

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remember, thanks to Tesla, EV's are just now becoming popular enough to start to become a threat to manufacturers that rely heavily on fuel inefficient SUV's. Those very same manufacturers have a LOT of lobbying power with states, and the Federal government. So we are most certainly in for some rocky times as those other manufacturers take their shot at making EV's look less desirable.

I expect many rounds of "EV's are heavier and should pay more road tax", "EV's don't pay for gas and can afford more road tax", losing free access to HOV lanes, taxes on public charging, and even painful or expensive home charging regulation - states could start requiring an extensive application/permitting/inspection procedure to "protect the grid" - or expensive state "safety" inspection (because high-voltage batteries are dangerous, right?) requirements. But we still won't have to buy gas.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Remember, thanks to Tesla, EV's are just now becoming popular enough to start to become a threat to manufacturers that rely heavily on fuel inefficient SUV's. Those very same manufacturers have a LOT of lobbying power with states, and the Federal government. So we are most certainly in for some rocky times as those other manufacturers take their shot at making EV's look less desirable.

I expect many rounds of "EV's are heavier and should pay more road tax", "EV's don't pay for gas and can afford more road tax", losing free access to HOV lanes, taxes on public charging, and even painful or expensive home charging regulation - states could start requiring an extensive application/permitting/inspection procedure to "protect the grid" - or expensive state "safety" inspection (because high-voltage batteries are dangerous, right?) requirements. But we still won't have to buy gas.
If you can't beat 'em...tax 'em.

Dan

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and you get to pay more if you want and AV tag so you can ride in the HOV and peach pass lanes. I guess since police can't recognize an electric vehicle. I would think since my original tag was registered to the vehicle the peach pass cameras could make the connection.
Georgia's is not very solar friendly either. State Solar Power Rankings

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
and you get to pay more if you want and AV tag so you can ride in the HOV and peach pass lanes. I guess since police can't recognize an electric vehicle. I would think since my original tag was registered to the vehicle the peach pass cameras could make the connection.
Georgia's is not very solar friendly either. State Solar Power Rankings
To me the price of the EV tag is just pre-paying for the HOV lanes. Seems like they get their money either way (perhaps a definition of the words American Government).

Dan

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
To me the price of the EV tag is just pre-paying for the HOV lanes. Seems like they get their money either way (perhaps a definition of the words American Government).

Dan
I always thought the HOV lanes were designed to encourage desired behavior (car-pooling, zero emissions, etc) by rewarding those who complied with the goals. I didn't know they were like a toll road.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes you are getting screwed. So am I. I paid about $98 in gas taxes last year. This is all brought to you by the legislators who think climate change is a hoax and Atlanta air is clean enough. Yep, the same people who got rid o the $5K EV rebate. These are those great legislators who care more about their campaign donors than they care about their grandchildren.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Well, they certainly aren't free.
I get that. But here in Washington for example, they were funded by all to help solve the problem created when most individuals were in single occupancy vehicles. It gave people a reason to carpool with their co-workers (because they could get there more quickly). And this reduced congestion for all.
Win-win.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always thought the HOV lanes were designed to encourage desired behavior (car-pooling, zero emissions, etc) by rewarding those who complied with the goals. I didn't know they were like a toll road.
You don't live in Georgia. They are doing away with the HOV concept in a lot of areas and replacing it with pay to use lanes so the wealthy can avoid poor people's traffic.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In metro Atlanta we have toll lanes(called peach pass lanes) that began life as regular HOV lanes paid for with general tax dollars and designed for High Occupancy, motorcycle and Alternative fuel use. Now through additional tax dollars these lanes have been converted to toll lanes. The State now takes additional funds from any who choose to pay a mileage based rate to use these lanes. Alternative Fuel vehicles can use these lanes at no charge if we sign up and donate $20(?) to the state. It's double taxation, it's not fair to those who can't afford the usage fee, and it's just plain wrong. Another fine example of subtle taxation and the wrongheadedness of government.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In metro Atlanta we have toll lanes(called peach pass lanes) that began life as regular HOV lanes paid for with general tax dollars and designed for High Occupancy, motorcycle and Alternative fuel use. Now through additional tax dollars these lanes have been converted to toll lanes. The State now takes additional funds from any who choose to pay a mileage based rate to use these lanes. Alternative Fuel vehicles can use these lanes at no charge if we sign up and donate $20(?) to the state. It's double taxation, it's not fair to those who can't afford the usage fee, and it's just plain wrong. Another fine example of subtle taxation and the wrongheadedness of government.
The "donation" for the tag is $60.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I paid for my AFV tag as a means of advertising my support(as if driving a Tesla doesn't already accomplish that). But I refuse to pay the extra $20 to use the peachpass lane. I'll just ride in the regular lanes with the rest of the riff-raff.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get that. But here in Washington for example, they were funded by all to help solve the problem created when most individuals were in single occupancy vehicles. It gave people a reason to carpool with their co-workers (because they could get there more quickly). And this reduced congestion for all.
Win-win.
funny, because the HOV lane I drive next to every day is nearly 75% single drivers and commercial truck drivers. (and it does not have an allowance for anyone but 2+ passenger cars and motorcycles - no EVs or 'paid' usage). it is essentially the express lane for those willing to gamble on not getting pulled over.