General Charging Etiquette

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Should long-term employee parking take up charging spaces?

• Yes, since you're charging, it's all good.

• No, letting the car sit and take up a space for days is a hoser move.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dogfood

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The airport employee parking lot has 12 charging stations. There are routinely eight to 12 cars charging most of the time. What is the consensus on leaving my Model 3 plugged in for three to four days while I'm on a trip? What about a 12 or 13-day trip?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The airport employee parking lot has 12 charging stations. There are routinely eight to 12 cars charging most of the time. What is the consensus on leaving my Model 3 plugged in for three to four days while I'm on a trip? What about a 12 or 13-day trip?
It feels like poor form to stay plugged in for days on end when juice is just needed short-term.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These sort of situations suck when you own a short-range electric vehicle. If you don't charge, you can't make it home. But you don't want to wait until you fly back in to start charging - you just want to drive straight home.

With a long-range EV, hopefully you can just skip charging at the airport altogether.

When FSD becomes a reality, hopefully the car can charge itself, then find some out-of-the-way place to park until you need it to come pick you up.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great topic!

To me, charging station etiquette comes down to the following statements:
  1. A charging station spot is not a parking spot. It is a refueling area.
  2. You should not occupy a refueling area any longer than you need to to make it to your next charging opportunity.
In the scenario you outlined, even if these are L1 spots, and you had the long range Model 3, even the 3-4 day trip would be an excessive amount of time to take up a spot. And that's assuming you needed the full 310 mile range to get home. I won't even comment on the 12-13 day scenario.

Airports are tough, especially when there are short range cars that absolutely NEED to charge to get home (my old LEAF fit into this category), and generally the car will be parked for far longer than it needs to charge. I would like to see airport parking areas outfitted with tons of smart L1 EVSEs that could share power among a huge number of units. Then you could specify that you won't be back for 12 days and the system would not allocate power to you until day 10 or so. But until we get to that point, if spots are limited, I would prefer that cars that don't need the charge not take up the spots. And not just at airports, but really anywhere.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like to see airport parking areas outfitted with tons of smart L1 EVSEs that could share power among a huge number of units. Then you could specify that you won't be back for 12 days and the system would not allocate power to you until day 10 or so.
Another solution for airports:

Have a small number of L2 stations that are only accessible to airport parking personnel. You drop off your car, give them your keys, and tell them when you're due back. They charge the car up for you shortly before you arrive.

This type of service could even work at one of those off-airport parking locations, where they shuttle you to and from the airport.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another solution for airports:

Have a small number of L2 stations that are only accessible to airport parking personnel. You drop off your car, give them your keys, and tell them when you're due back. They charge the car up for you shortly before you arrive.

This type of service could even work at one of those off-airport parking locations, where they shuttle you to and from the airport.
I like this but at the same time -- no one is getting my keys! Thankfully we won't have this kind of range concern!!

Also, in the end, if I was that worried and my travel was going to be that long I would just take Uber/Lyft to and from the airport anyway.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd say it depends. PDX's (not specifically employee) economy long term lot has many L1 chargers. I'd say it is acceptable to leave a car on them for a few days. But the L2 chargers in the short term and long term garages I'd think should not be left more than 24hours.
(PDX also currently has more charger spaces than are currently being used, economy L1s are buried in the back of the lot, so this may not be appropriate in a year or two when there are that many more EVs, or airports that don't have as many chargers)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The easy solution here is to have a dozen high power L2 or L3 charging stations just like they have a gas station near the airport. For use no more than 1-2 hrs. In addition, you have an EV section of the parking garage with standard 120v outlets at each spot. If you're there all day for parked for a week, charging at L1 trickle will be just fine.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The easy solution here is to have a dozen high power L2 or L3 charging stations just like they have a gas station near the airport. For use no more than 1-2 hrs. In addition, you have an EV section of the parking garage with standard 120v outlets at each spot. If you're there all day for parked for a week, charging at L1 trickle will be just fine.
Well yes, and no (to the 120V outlets at each spot). You would need to have a dedicated circuit for each one of those outlets because even at L1, you could pull a full 16A continuous on each one. This is probably cost prohibitive and completely overkill considering that in reality probably only a couple of percent of the cars would actually be charging at any given time. Consider that there are a LOT of parking spots at the airport! This is why I would like to see a "shared" system that can either time share (alternate charging) or split power (send the J1772 minimum of 6A) to each car (but even that would really only allow a 3:1 reduction), or as garsh suggested, a valet system where an attendant can charge your vehicle. And that doesn't even necessarily mean moving your vehicle. I've seen a system which consisted of a giant battery on wheels that could be wheeled over to your car to charge it before being moved to the next car. Some Silicon Valley companies use this system for their employees.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did say just an EV section of the lot, not the whole thing!
If only Nikola Tesla succeeded with his wireless power transmission, we wouldn't have this dilemma.
Yeah, I realize this, but I'm also trying to imagine a future time when there might be a significant number of EVs and you would have to still dedicate a significantly sized area for this.