Question Garage placement - Is the car all the way in?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This thread intrigued me, so I checked out my parking spot and what I would see in the rear camera. Well, nothing, so I painted a thin red stripe on the ground. Works great, but ended up being on the driveway side of the garage door! o_OOh well, it can be removed easily if I ever move.

IamEmptySea

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed these are 'normal' and useful ways. But to illustrate my point, hand the car to your kid or your spouse and tell them to park it and describe 'smidge' then trust them and close the garage door right?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you have a lot of stuff in your garage, the rear camera makes it easier to see than the front one, so backing in is easier.

Simple and stupid way to figure out where to park: Place a tall lamp or other tall and thin object beside the car when it's parked so that either it's just beyond end of the side mirror (for forward parking) or just off to the side of the rear bumper (for reverse parking). Make sure the tall object or lamp is beyond the limits of the stuff alongside the wall so you won't collide with anything sticking out.

While you're driving in or backing in, keep an eye on that lamp until the car lines up with where you remember the lamp being when you put it there. You'll be able to park in nearly the same spot every time. If you touch the lamp while training yourself, it will just wobble, and won't do a lot of damage like a fridge will (bonus points if you manage to park there every day and never touch the lamp!).
Strip of tape on the wall does this well. Assuming one does not have extra lamps laying around.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Strip of tape on the wall does this well. Assuming one does not have extra lamps laying around.
I don't have any visible enough walls in my garage! I'm in Florida, and the entire wall next to the driver's side of the car (I back in) has pieces of acrylic for hurricane protection stacked against it. I suppose I could put reflective tape on the water heater at the back if I wanted something more permanent than an old lamp.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
old school tennis ball on a string here - but only on the tesla. The volvo raises and lowers suspension dependant on the drive mode and when I stop it drops right down to ease entry/exit for kids or the elderly.

The windscreen is an angle. when the height of the vehicle changes, the distance to the tennis ball changes. nearly nicked the back bumper a few times with the garage door before I figured out that touching the ball did not always mean the same depth into the garage

So you S and X owners with adjustable suspension - you have been warned!!

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Park the car where you want it. Turn on the backup camera and use tape or paint to make a stripe at the edge of the camera's field of view. When you pull in, turn on the backup camera and watch for the stripe.
I got some green painter's tape and placed it on the floor. That's for the suggestion!

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I pull in to my garage when the car tells me it’s 20” away from the stuff (shelves, a plastic rolling cart, the usual garage crap) When I first got my car, I had to spend a few minutes pulling in the garage and then checking the distance until I got the right measurem that was ideal.

IamEmptySea

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I pull in to my garage when the car tells me it’s 20” away from the stuff (shelves, a plastic rolling cart, the usual garage crap) When I first got my car, I had to spend a few minutes pulling in the garage and then checking the distance until I got the right measurem that was ideal.
Sure, and I did that as well. Even turning on the rear cam now as I come into the garage and have a better line that is permanent vs the issue you (and I) would run into if we suddenly cleaned up our garage or temporarily stored something in front that the car had to consider.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sure, and I did that as well. Even turning on the rear cam now as I come into the garage and have a better line that is permanent vs the issue you (and I) would run into if we suddenly cleaned up our garage or temporarily stored something in front that the car had to consider.
amen to that. If my wife/mother-in-law put something new in the garage "for me to see when I got home" or the kids put their scooters in a new unexpected place, the car may think that the garage ended shorter than usual even if the garage was lying.

I trust the tennis ball, for the Volvo that raised and lowered (changing the depth of the windscreen), i use the division between the driveway and the garage floor with the overhead 360 camera to gauge depth.

I scoffed at the 360 overhead camera, now I wish that the Tesla had one :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You just need two tennis balls and a sharpie.
Mark one "HIGH" and the other one "LOW".
:D

old school tennis ball on a string here - but only on the tesla. The volvo raises and lowers suspension dependant on the drive mode and when I stop it drops right down to ease entry/exit for kids or the elderly.

The windscreen is an angle. when the height of the vehicle changes, the distance to the tennis ball changes. nearly nicked the back bumper a few times with the garage door before I figured out that touching the ball did not always mean the same depth into the garage

So you S and X owners with adjustable suspension - you have been warned!!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
- - - snip - - -

I scoffed at the 360 overhead camera, now I wish that the Tesla had one :)
agreed!
but imagine it is something tesla could program in for us when they have a minute free from fsd. volvo has 4 cameras, tesla has 8.

Last edited:

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
absolutely it is within the hardware capabilities of the Tesla - it is just stitching and presentation to be delivered in an update to be named later (I miss baseball).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
a number of people have recommended Race Ramps or other parking mat devices. Do any of these people have kids with or without a sense of humour who might move the position?
Hmmm- your kids sense of humor, vs your kids respect and discipline. I would say - they choose - and hopefully before hundreds or thousands of $$ in damage to a car and wall.