Gap between trunk seal and rear fender. Is it normal?

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
make a service appointment and have a tech inspect it, they've been pretty good about correct minor gap alignment problems at the SVC centers

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have just noticed that there is a gap between my trunk seal and the rear fender. See the picture attached. That doesn't look right. Is this normal?
I took a look at my trunk tonight and figured out what we were looking at in that picture.

Yes, that's normal. The gasket keeps water from entering the trunk area. The area outside of that gets wet. While it's somewhat unpleasing to see a gap there, it doesn't hurt anything. Also, it's only visible when the trunk is open.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took a look at my trunk tonight and figured out what we were looking at in that picture.

Yes, that's normal. The gasket keeps water from entering the trunk area. The area outside of that gets wet. While it's somewhat unpleasing to see a gap there, it doesn't hurt anything. Also, it's only visible when the trunk is open.
I had that gap after they re-installed my back bumper:

8d4728aa-9f54-48eb-80f0-a048ef35529e-jpeg.15125

I mentioned it and they removed and re-installed it eliminating the gap. Actually the gap is still there except now it’s covered by the gasket. Home from Costco :):

f564585f-d015-4f7c-8a72-97be419a2a17-jpeg.15126

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Semi-related question. There are small holes on one side of the seal. Do they face towards the inside of your trunk or outside on your cars?

Country
Country

Yeah, it shouldn't hurt anything but it looks really awkward. I have a service appointment next week so I'll mention it and see if they can fix it. I'll keep this thread updated.

Country
Country
I had that gap after they re-installed my back bumper:

View attachment 15125

I mentioned it and they removed and re-installed it eliminating the gap. Actually the gap is still there except now it’s covered by the gasket. Home from Costco :):

View attachment 15126
Wow, that looks much better now! Are there any gaps on the left or right side after their fix? Mine has the gap on the left side.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Checked mine. The holes are facing outwards.
Thanks! That’s how I thought it should be. My trunk seal was replaced and the trunk was really difficult to close afterwards. Noticed the holes were facing inwards, which was different than I remembered. I removed it and reset it with the hollows facing outwards and it closes like it did before.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! Your gap looks smaller than mine.:pensive: It's a small issue but I still want the SC to adjust it.
Keep in mind, they need to reposition the entire bumper to close that gap. That means other gaps around the entire bumper are going to move as well. Maybe everything ends up better, but you could end up with a bigger gap elsewhere.

If all of the exterior gaps are good, I wouldn't worry about a gap that's only visible when the trunk is open.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! That’s how I thought it should be. My trunk seal was replaced and the trunk was really difficult to close afterwards. Noticed the holes were facing inwards, which was different than I remembered.
Good catch. When the seal is compressed by the trunk lid, you want the air escaping to the outside of the vehicle. Escaping to the inside makes the air pressure within the confines of the car a little higher, which will fight against closing the trunk a bit.

Country
Country
I have just noticed that there is a gap between my trunk seal and the rear fender. See the picture attached. That doesn't look right. Is this normal?
Update: took the car to a service center today. They said this gap issue, if isn't within spec, needs to be recorded in due bill within 30 days of delivery. Otherwise I have to pay for the fix out of my pocket. It is really surprising that this defect is not covered by the 4 year 50,000 miles warranty. The issue itself is minor, but I am disappointed that the warranty don't cover it, given that it is apparently an out of box issue.

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: took the car to a service center today. They said this gap issue, if isn't within spec, needs to be recorded in due bill within 30 days of delivery. Otherwise I have to pay for the fix out of my pocket. It is really surprising that this defect is not covered by the 4 year 50,000 miles warranty. The issue itself is minor, but I am disappointed that the warranty don't cover it, given that it is apparently an out of box issue.
I have the same issue and according to the SC all M3’s are like that and it’s a minor issue. My concern was water pooling inside the bumper. That makes zero sense. So, if the bumper just fell off after 30 days it wouldn’t be covered?