Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

FW rollout process

25K views 155 replies 69 participants last post by  ibgeek 
#1 ·
I haven't received 12 or 12.1 yet and I enjoy getting the updates but it still bugs me that they frequently fail to fix existing bugs (they don't tell us what is supposed to have been fixed) and they seem to introduce new bugs we didn't have before. With all of the early access folks how does this happen? Don't they provide feedback and let Tesla know about these bugs? If so, why doesn't Tesla listen and fix them?

#106 ·
I hope this fixes the problem of people reporting problems that haven't been fixed or have resurfaced after other problems have been fixed.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't unfix Dog Mode because Bob Barker wouldn't be happy (Mr. Gilmore) and that's one long-mic-having alpha you don't wanna mess with.

Reactions: bsunny
#108 ·
Report to Tesla and post to the forum.

Reporting to Tesla helps get the problem solved. But posting does a number of other things:

--Allows people who have not yet accepted the update to decide whether they want to hold off

--Warns people who have accepted the update of problems to look out for

--Lets people know if a problem they're experiencing is common, and thus likely to be fixed by a future firmware update, or uncommon, thus potentially requiring Tesla service to fix

--Helps people to decide whether to, e.g., pony up for FSD

--Helps provide a snapshot of Tesla issues, which aids in being an effective and informed ambassador for the brand

#110 ·
I imagine that Tesla is looking at all forums, would be pretty foolish for such a progressive tech company if they didn't. ....I don't think Tesla is foolish ;)
There are just too many posts across all the various Tesla forums, plus #Tesla posts on twitter, and the Tesla reddit page, etc., and the majority of content on all of them is stuff other than problem reports.

#113 ·
Why in the world are they still fiddling around with week "32" software build!!!
Squash the bugs before moving forward!

#116 ·
We may see this number another time or two - until we get a "Feature Complete" FSD release. That is when we'll get the next week number cut. Just a guess on my part.

Reactions: bsunny
#117 ·
I've been expecting the V10 software update to arrive for my new Model 3, but so far all I can find is the text that says it will be downloaded automatically when it's ready to do so for my car. But it's almost November, and I'm wondering if I've missed the boat somehow. Shouldn't I have it by now?

#118 ·
I do believe most people have gotten it. Do you mind sharing what version you're on? If it's an older one, it could be that there's a minor issue that will require Tesla service to help out. An easy fix that many here have had to do... I believe you even schedule it right through the app. (I've not had this occur to me so can't speak to that). Keep us posted!

#121 ·
I've been expecting the V10 software update to arrive for my new Model 3, but so far all I can find is the text that says it will be downloaded automatically when it's ready to do so for my car. But it's almost November, and I'm wondering if I've missed the boat somehow. Shouldn't I have it by now?
Have you received any software updates since getting the car? I had a similar issue for the first 4 months I had mine. I would not get software updates unless I called up and requested it be pushed. Eventually one of the techs realized that the car was never set as "delivered" in Tesla's system so it was not receiving automatic OTA updates even though everything else was already registered to me and working fine. I did also have free supercharging during that time period and always wondered why I wasn't being billed. 😁

#122 ·
Have you connected the car to Wifi? It won't download unless you do.

#123 ·
The software package team is taking their time after the first few v10 revisions. 2019.36.x puts us at builds cut in September... and still so few cars in the fleet have this installed or pending an install.

Bring on some cutting edge 2019.44.x or bleeding edge 2019.45.x proper fast ring action.

Skip the casual bloatware - practical features, optimizations, bug fixes and enhancements only.
Wishful thinking, I know.

#125 · (Edited)
It is; have patience. It is not even 9AM PST. Their infrastructure bill would be a fortune if they opened the gates to all cars concurrently. Think what would happen if you had a little web site and one morning it was posted on a blog, your traffic of 10 concurrent/simultaneous users just went to 1000; boom your server crashed as it can’t handle the requests. We used to call this the “slashdot effect.” Each binary (update) is fairly large depending on how many releases you are behind. I only know of one company that simply rocks at this, and highly distributed event-sourcing. Microsoft’s Azure/Xbox Live team; they can handle 50M simultaneous downloads of 50gigabyte video games (two 4K movies on AppleTV, etc...) whilst keeping their entire real-time gaming system alive. They own all of this infrastructure; Tesla pays AWS (Amazon Web Services), they are learning but have a long way to go as their challenge is similar to telecom; highly distributed nodes around the globe (Erlang for the win!).

These are basically rolling deployments, they happen based off of Zones/Regions, as one region becomes saturated they (their automated clusters) will start distributing traffic to different regions. The second aspect is your UUID (unique user id) mapped to your vin and settings. FSD is in a priority queue now.

So basically; just hang around and let the good times flow. It will make it to you, open your app and check on your vehicle simply to ensure it is receiving pings and your good.

#126 ·
It is; have patience. It is not even 9AM PST. Their infrastructure bill would be a fortune if they opened the gates to all cars, each binary is fairly large depending on how many releases you are behind.

These are basically rolling deployments, they happen based off of Zones/Regions, as one region becomes saturated they (their automated clusters) will start distributing traffic to different regions. The second aspect is your UUID (unique user id) mapped to your vin and settings. FSD is in a priority queue now.

So basically; just hang around and let the good times flow. It will make it to you, open your app and check on your vehicle simply to ensure it is receiving pings and your good.
i know I need to be more patient... just thought being first in line with a Model3 reservation in 2016 and purchasing FSD up front would have made us a little higher priority for things... guess not.

#130 ·
FYI to all. I noticed on teslafi that many had gotten 2019.36.2.1 I've been on 2019.36.1 since the first reported day. I thought it was weird that others were coming from builds before 2019.36.1 which seemed odd with the bugs that I wouldn't have gotten the update. I went into the car and went to the Software screen (which as of a few updates ago forces a check for updates) and immediately the update became available for me.

#131 ·
I went into the car and went to the Software screen (which as of a few updates ago forces a check for updates) and immediately the update became available for me.
I'm not going to fall for that. It's nice and warm in the house. I can wait.

#139 ·
Keep in mind it contains power adjustments, driving dynamic changes, and charging changes.

Reactions: ibgeek
#142 ·
We were driving from Ann Arbor MI back to Pittsburgh yesterday. My son asked me to turn on the hot spot on my phone so he could do some homework on his laptop.

Then I stopped to supercharge. My Tesla connected to the hotspot too, and decided that this would be an awesome time to download a new software update.

#143 ·
My car is telling me there is the 36.2.1 update.....and it has been saying "Connect to Wi-Fi" to download.

My car has been connected to its usual Wi-Fi in my garage....I've even done a full power down plus the twin scroll reset, but all I get is this:

Font Gadget Technology Screenshot Multimedia

I know the Wi-Fi is good because:

a). I don't have data on my phone but I'm able to control the car from the app, and

b). The Wi-Fi signal strength icon in the car is at its usual two arcs.

Anyone else ever have this issue and, if so, is the resolution simply to contact Tesla? Thanks.

#144 ·
I know the Wi-Fi is good because:

a). I don't have data on my phone but I'm able to control the car from the app, and

b). The Wi-Fi signal strength icon in the car is at its usual two arcs.

Anyone else ever have this issue and, if so, is the resolution simply to contact Tesla? Thanks.
before contacting Tesla, I'd suggest to power down your router and then reconnect the car to the wifi and see if that makes a difference. Last time mine did something similar, the car appeared to have a wifi connection, but my wifi extender was offline and it wasnt actually connected to the outside world. so the car was indeed connected to the wifi, the wifi wasnt connected to anything useful.

#149 ·
When you're in the car, I thought the phone talked to the car via Bluetooth. So when you're that close, you may not be using wifi on the phone. I hope resetting the router fixes your issue!
It was no issue at my end.

Tesla re-pushed the update and all was well after the second re-push.

Bluetooth will only let me control certain things like honk the horn, open the frunk, etc.

If I'm in a parking lot somewhere, without any data plan, I cannot do anything such as turn on the HVAC, etc.

#150 ·
This is a sidebar to this thread, and is in response to all those, myself included, who wait and wait for an software/firmware update for their M3.

I've tried all manner of schemes - calling my Service Centre, switching from LTE to WiFi, parking near random routers, installing a WiFi extender in the garage, car system resets, incantations, playing my pipes near the car, not playing my pipes - but last night had true success by..... READING THIS THREAD!o_O

So this is a Thank You to all the brave early adopters who enlighten us wannabes with your reveals, tests, and speculation, and encourage us to wish real hard and click our heels (tho not to be in Kansas (no offense meant)).

Now if the weather would improve I could actually try out the update.:p

#153 ·
To elaborate on my "schemes" to get updates:
When I bought, I told my Delivery Advisor there was no Wi-Fi generally available to me for updates in our rural area, and was told LTE would work fine. And it did until the Service Centre Manager told me that Telsa couldn't provide me updates any more until I connected the car to Wi-Fi (implying a cost control measure). In other words, I was now paying for updates since our "Wi-Fi" is really expensive cell data to our mobile hub. (I see in the newest version of the Owner's Manual that LTE updates require "premium connectivity" whatever that is :eek:penmouth:).

However; the release notes for 2019.36.2.1 indicate I can watch Netflix in the car via LTE!!
I sure hope that Netflix is paying for that cell data if Tesla can't afford software updates via LTE. :rage:

#155 ·
Should be around 48 something....

But hell..... Doesn't even seem like they can get 40 rolled out....

It appears to have started... then stopped.... then started and now almost dead...

#156 ·
Software happens at he pace for which it happens. That said it is fairly normal for a new week build to do a smaller sample, pause, get patched and then do another sample before going to the masses.
Please keep in mind that we are still early in to V10. On top of that we are in the beginning of code divergence as HW3 slowly separates itself from HW2.5 and lower. So it's understandable that things are progressing slower.

A lot of new code is being added to shadow mode with the week 40 build. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.