FW rollout process

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i've had updates pulled on me in the past. back then before the new "as soon as available" option for software downloads i think that releases could get out in the wild faster, requiring a quick bug/patch update (or a quick three if you live in Calgary).

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only people getting this update had 20.4.1. No one else is getting it which means it mostly likely was a bug with .1. Probably holding back from the fleet to verify it fixes whatever it fixed.
Yeah, it was probably a bug fix. But it looks like it's rolling out to everyone else now... I just updated to 20.4.2 from 20.2.1.

Learner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed 4.1 on 6/23/19 and they pushed 4.2 out on 6/26/19. Must have been a bug but I didn’t drive much on the day in between so did not notice a problem.

Ze1000

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems that Tesla is holding off (on the dot week) updates.
At some point it was every 2 weeks approximately, then this year it was every 4 weeks. At this point we should have seen a 2019.28 already, but no traces of it.
Even a 2019.30 would be showing traces in the wild ...
They are probably preparing a major update aside of the v10 coming up late this year. Maybe they will release the smart summon before v10 (mid August) like Elon promised?

Mr. Spacely

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The next several months of rollouts and updates should be fun. Here's my optimistic/realistic guess:

v10-- August 2019
Summon-- August/September 2019
Stop light/stop sign recognition-- November 2019
HW3 retrofitting begins-- January 2020
Musk says "Feature Complete"-- March 2020
Limited city self driving (in Beta of course)-- May 2020
Real city self driving (in Beta still)-- August 2020
Robo taxi/sleeping while car drives allowed by various governments-- January 2021

Ze1000

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Using your predictions to have my own.

v10 - October 2019
Summon+ - Aug/September 2019
Stop light/stop sign recognition - with v10
HW3 retrofits - Q2 2020
Musk says "feature complete" - November 2019
Limited city self driving (in Beta of course)-- September/October 2020 (with v11 release)
Real city self driving (in Beta still)-- Q2 2021
Robo taxi/sleeping while car drives allowed by various governments-- Sometime in 2023

Last edited:

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That sequence seems to be the plan right now, but I hope they change it.

Somewhere in there I'd like to see on-ramp to off-ramp "real" self-driving. In other words, get on the interstate, engage self-driving, and be able to watch movies or answer email or play games or take a nap or whatever until the off-ramp. (Probably with increasingly urgent warnings as the off-ramp approaches.) That's a much easier goal than the full self-driving on city streets and should be able to happen way in advance of it.

Instead, I think we're going to get more and more things the car can do while being monitored, which is not as useful to me. Sure, it would be impressive if, for example, the car could execute an unprotected left turn kinda sorta on its own. But if the driver have to watch it like a hawk while it's doing it, that's more a parlor trick than a truly useful feature.

The end goal is the same: full self-driving. But please let's try to get there by getting real self-driving in some situations and extending it to more and more, rather than by getting monitored "assisted" driving everywhere and then gradually trying to level all that up simultaneously.

Franklin L

Country
Country
How long should it take someone with FSD ordered to get their firmware update. I selected early updates, but I don’t seem to be getting them earlier.

RSavage

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long should it take someone with FSD ordered to get their firmware update. I selected early updates, but I don’t seem to be getting them earlier.
As of the time of your post, according to stats on TeslaFi, less than 6% of the Model3 fleet has been updated to 2019.28.2 Be patient, most of us are still waiting

sduck

Country
Country
Currently, after you purchase FSD after the fact, 1 of 2 things happen - if you already have EAP, nothing happens, and if you only have AP, then you get a small set of addon features to make your AP the same as EAP. I'm not sure how the latter happens, but the first option can be a bit misleading, as you get a message saying that your car will update soon, but it actually doesn't. You still get the same updates as everyone else though.

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone give a sense for what portion of M3s have this update? Still waiting. I don’t have the apps that seem to show portion of cars at different software version levels.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone give a sense for what portion of M3s have this update? Still waiting. I don’t have the apps that seem to show portion of cars at different software version levels.
Most people look at TeslaFi. That only tells you the percentage of people with TeslaFi who have the update, of course, but at least gives you an idea. As of this writing, there's still more people on 24.4 than 28.2.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
here's the current look at Model 3 installs per Teslafi
screen-shot-2019-08-10-at-7-37-11-am-png.28277

and the S & X installs
screen-shot-2019-08-10-at-7-36-35-am-png.28276

without logging in, you can only see the combined on Teslafi and it does vary quite a bit between the rollout to the 3 and the S/X

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed on TeslaFi that this rollout seems to have stopped at only 30% of the reporting vehicles. The majority is still on 24.4, as I am. 28.3 seems to be picking up with a moderate rollout.

Any idea why? Usually when a large rollout stops, all of those people are quickly updated to the newest software to get off the buggy one.

Seems like a bit of an odd sequence here...

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I noticed on TeslaFi that this rollout seems to have stopped at only 30% of the reporting vehicles. The majority is still on 24.4, as I am. 28.3 seems to be picking up with a moderate rollout.

Any idea why? Usually when a large rollout stops, all of those people are quickly updated to the newest software to get off the buggy one.

Seems like a bit of an odd sequence here...
Bug Fixes........

Ski

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The last few releases, they seem to be splitting the fleet up between 2 main versions - so likely comparing results for what could be incorporated into the next release. seems that has become the normal since 2019.20.x or so.

Also looks like the 3s that have installed 2019.28.3 are either in europe, or have a vin around 80,000-120,000. - so maybe something they are looking for specific to a piece of hardware that was unique to the cars built last September.