FW rollout process

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just tweeted Elon a suggestion that they reduce the number of versions of software they publish and support. He wants to reduce cost, this is an area he could significantly cut costs. I have managed large software development projects for the Navy and I kept the number of active versions we were supporting to no more than 3 and preferably just 2. When you have 6-10 versions it takes a lot of resources to just to track which versions have which bugs and as we see in the software releases, things that worked in one release are broken in the next. With that number of teams it is easy to have one fix broken by a different team fixing a different bug. The communications become a nightmare. They could narrow their focus, get bugs fixed more quickly and get new features rolled out faster. A win for everyone. They could put the extra resources it would free up to more thoroughly testing code for both bug fixes and whether they have introduced any new ones.
According to TeslaFi, 94% of cars are currently on one of four versions. But really, it's more like two old versions which are transitioning to new ones.

12.1.1 is mostly for S and X cars. That's rapidly being upgraded to 16.1.1, which is exclusively for older S and X cars.

12.1.2 is mostly for newer cars (AP 2.5). There's been a limited roll-out to 16.1, but it hasn't gone wide yet. That's a pretty standard strategy for Tesla, to see if there are problems before switching everyone over.

All the other versions appear to either be old orphans where the cars may have gotten "stuck" on an old version for one reason or another, or the occasional odd-ball new variant (e.g. 12.1.3) which goes to very few cars and has an unclear purpose.

So for the most part, they've gotten it back to two versions, which then undergo an upgrade cycle.

Frankly, I'm not sure why Tesla insists on having one firmware scheme for all models. Many things are very different between cars: batteries (think an old S vs. a new 3), autopilot sensors, MCU, autopilot computer, etc.. There aren't third-party apps that require compatibility, and the cars don't need to share files with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point there are some permanent forks, perhaps associated with who has the FSD computer.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
On 12.1.2 I constantly loose AP, blind spot monitoring, TACC and every thing else "driver assist" related. Are those all considered Beta?
I had these problems on my Model X about a year ago. I called Tesla many times. Sometimes they sent some “code” to the car and had me reboot. Would temporarily restore. But ultimately it turned out there was hardware that had to be replaced. Have you contacted Tesla? I’m skeptical that your problem is only software.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On 12.1.2 I constantly loose AP, blind spot monitoring, TACC and every thing else "driver assist" related. Are those all considered Beta?
I experienced all of that today with the intense rain in the California Bay Area. NoA has also been mostly absent lately on my route where NoA toggled on and off a few times on the off-ramp.

Country
Country
Have you contacted Tesla? I’m skeptical that your problem is only software.
I called Friday as it was now a week of these things happening almost every drive. They stated my issues would be resolved with 2019.16 and that it would deliver within 30 days. I asked if they could push due to all of my saftey aids being down makes driving the car very unenjoyable. No dice.

The car will be parked in my garage until I get the next firmware. I'll drive one of my other cars. I'm torn between it being the firmware or something else. It's been fine up until 12.1.2 so I'll just wait. If it continues after next update I'll push the issue for further investigation. I've reported a bug every time it goes out so hopefully that helps

barjohn

Country
Country
It pains me to no end to see Tesla's software development effort. With around 8-10 versions in use at any point in time it is no wonder that things regress as often as they do. I can imagine it would be easy to have confused developers and have them fix the wrong thing in the wrong versions or break something that wasn't broken. Given how well the demo version of the software worked for the investor show, why can't we get that version? It appeared to work far better than any currently released version. Maybe it isn't perfect but then the current releases aren't perfect either.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It pains me to no end to see Tesla's software development effort. With around 8-10 versions in use at any point in time it is no wonder that things regress as often as they do. I can imagine it would be easy to have confused developers and have them fix the wrong thing in the wrong versions or break something that wasn't broken. Given how well the demo version of the software worked for the investor show, why can't we get that version? It appeared to work far better than any currently released version. Maybe it isn't perfect but then the current releases aren't perfect either.
Could you list what you think are the 8-10 versions currently "in use"?

If you mean every version currently in some Tesla, there are many more than 8-10, since cars sometimes don't update for a variety of reasons.

If you mean "in wide release"--perhaps setting a threshold of 2% or more of cars, then TeslaFi shows only 4: 16.2, 16.1.1, 12.1.2, and 12.1.1.

Right now, though, I'd use an even smaller number: remarkably, I think it looks like we're finally back down to just one current release, which is 16.2. It's rolling out rapidly. Nothing else is rolling out in significant numbers. It's rolling out to every model, every AP hardware, and every geographical region. So I would call 16.2 the only current version of the firmware.

That's my count, but my question wasn't rhetorical--I really am curious as to what you mean by 8-10 versions in use.

barjohn

Country
Country
[following 4 posts moved from FW 2019.20.0.1 thread]
I am wondering if this is rolling out only to EAP & FSD customers or the general population. Anyone have any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

barjohn

Country
Country
I just checked and you are right. They did the same thing on 16.2. I think they are afraid of the CA crowd as being too outspoken and good at finding bugs.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They like to find bugs ASAP.
But they'd like to do so with as little flak as possible.
They probably have experience that leads them to believe that California is not the place to debug. Lotta social media, something.
(He says as he types in social media.)

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The interesting thing to me is that so far: no California cars on TeslaFi.
...and now 2019.20.1 seems to be going out almost exclusively to Californians, so there appears to have been a plan around this.

I wonder what the difference is between the two versions?

Given that 2019.20.1 has some additional tweaks to Dog Mode, I'm wondering whether California was prioritized for reasons similar to why it received priority for Sentry Mode. That is to say, a higher rate of "good samaritans" smashing windows to "save" pets from overheating...?

Last edited:

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...and now 2019.20.1 seems to be going out almost exclusively to Californians, so there appears to have been a plan around this.

I wonder what the difference is between the two versions?

Given that 2019.20.1 has some additional tweaks to Dog Mode, I'm wondering whether California was prioritized for reasons similar to why it received priority for Sentry Mode. That is to say, a higher rate of "good samaritans" smashing windows to "save" pets from overheating...?
...or perhaps 20.1 also includes the 80% default limit for Supercharging, and overcrowded Superchargers are especially common in California.

Can anyone with this version report what happens when they try Supercharging to >80% SOC?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm now up to 3 updates in 3 days...This must have been high priority, or some very convoluted prerequisite update stacking.

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only people getting this update had 20.4.1. No one else is getting it which means it mostly likely was a bug with .1. Probably holding back from the fleet to verify it fixes whatever it fixed.

Funny thing is my car was downloading .1 yesterday and this morning it showed nothing anymore saying my car is up to date. They pulled it pretty quick.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Talked to SC and they said they have no idea what this is and due to the rapidity of this release, its almost certainly correcting/fixing something.
I got .1 Sunday night and this last night.

I like updates but 5 updates in 6 weeks for me is a bit much, and Tesla needs to package the updates better and test them.