Further Speculation on Hi-Res Charging Screen

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I was looking at the charging screen that started all of the speculation about 300+ miles of range, and I realized no one has paid much attention to the left-hand side of the screen where the image of the car is. You can see that there is an 'open' button (I assume it is a button and not just an indicator) for the frunk and trunk on the right side of the display. Grayed out, on the lower left is some text near the charging port, which suggests that the charge port lid is powered. It would be grayed out because the charge connector is plugged in, so you wouldn't be able to close the lid. I'm thinking it needs to be powered in order to be able to support the autonomous charging of cars at a SuperCharger when there are more cars waiting for a charge than chargers available, which has been spoken of in the past. Thoughts?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I was looking at the charging screen that started all of the speculation about 300+ miles of range, and I realized no one has paid much attention to the left-hand side of the screen where the image of the car is. You can see that there is an 'open' button (I assume it is a button and not just an indicator) for the frunk and trunk on the right side of the display. Grayed out, on the lower left is some text near the charging port, which suggests that the charge port lid is powered. It would be grayed out because the charge connector is plugged in, so you wouldn't be able to close the lid. I'm thinking it needs to be powered in order to be able to support the autonomous charging of cars at a SuperCharger when there are more cars waiting for a charge than chargers available, which has been spoken of in the past. Thoughts?
I can see it both ways.

Open could literally indicate that frunk, trunk, and charge port are open.

Open could be a button to open those 3.

I lean toward it being a button to open those 3.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Button doesn't necessarily mean powered.

On my current car, electric switches operate the gas door and rear trunk - neither of which are powered. I think it's probably just to actuate the release for whatever they choose to lift the frunk, trunk, and charge door.

But here's hoping I'm wrong!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

On my current car, electric switches operate the gas door and rear trunk - neither of which are powered. I think it's probably just to actuate the release for whatever they choose to lift the frunk, trunk, and charge door.

That was my thinking.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That was my thinking.
For the frunk/trunk, I agree it's probably an open-only button; however, for the charging port, I'm leaning towards the idea that it needs to be a powered lid for full autonomy (if we think automated charging is part of the autonomy story), which is supposed to be part of all Model 3 H/W.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the frunk/trunk, I agree it's probably an open-only button; however, for the charging port, I'm leaning towards the idea that it needs to be a powered lid for full autonomy (if we think automated charging is part of the autonomy story), which is supposed to be part of all Model 3 H/W.
That's an interesting take, and really I can't see why it wouldn't be possible or overly expensive to implement. The way the door looks from the pics it would only need to be a little electric motor to drive, just looks like a lightweight chunk of plastic.

Neat idea, hope you're right!!

Iaeen

Country
Country
I can see it both ways.

Open could literally indicate that frunk, trunk, and charge port are open.

Open could be a button to open those 3.

I lean toward it being a button to open those 3.

I think the charge door is powered.

If you look really closely, it looks like the button says "close" instead of "open". It's pretty pixelated even on the highest resolution version that I could find, but I think it's just clear enough to make out.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the charge door is powered.

If you look really closely, it looks like the button says "close" instead of "open". It's pretty pixelated even on the highest resolution version that I could find, but I think it's just clear enough to make out.
It is oddly pixelated in comparison to the frunk and trunk open. You could definitely be right!

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What if the door is spring loaded, so it unlocks by the button and opens on its own, then for automation, the charge snake comes to charge, and when finished, closes the door itself by pushing it down back into place... perhaps with a small wheel so as not to scratch the paint... just like the robots do in the factory... open and close doors etc...