Country

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps Sheetz & Wawa trying to get ahead of that... and maybe declining future gasoline sales...
Remember, most gas stations don't make money from gasoline. They pretty much just break even on that part. They make all of their money on the convenience store items. The gas stations are just to lure people in. So they don't really care how they lure people in. If Tesla is offering to cover the cost of installing these superchargers, and all Sheetz has to do is set aside a few parking spaces, then that's a no-brainer. Why not give it a try?

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Going from Supercharger stations to full service rest areas, designed for Teslas only?
"...the company will likely build full-service rest stops at locations where they currently have roadside chargers, but partner with another company to cover the food."
https://www.thestreet.com/video/14311519/tesla-could-soon-be-in-the-restaurant-business.html
Tesla building their own full service rest stops seems an unlikely strategy given the costs involved.
Superchargers can be installed at much lower cost than gasoline pumps because electrical hookup is much simpler and quicker and requires much less red-tape. Consequently adding superchargers to existing rest stops could be achieved much more cheaply and quickly than doing it themselves.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla building their own full service rest stops seems an unlikely strategy given the costs involved.
They really are considering it. They're building one between Los Angeles and San Francisco. I guess they'll see how this one goes and compare it to partnering with places like Sheetz before deciding how best to expand in the future.

Tesla’s charging stations are turning into convenience stops, say CTO JB Straubel

I'm guessing the main issue is the same reason they decided to avoid the dealership model - do you trust those partner organizations to give your customers a good experience? Sheetz was an excellent choice for the partnering experiment, as they're one of the more high-end convenience stores. They have really good food. They keep the stores nice and clean. Even their fuel trucks are very pretty and always seem to be kept clean.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
This wouldn’t be the first time they tried something similar. Remember the battery swap station in Harris Ranch?

That was a bit different but it just shows they’re not affraid to built a pilot location in order to test something on a small scale before scaling up.

Same thing goes for the delivery centre in Culver City. That’s supposed to be the precursor for Model 3 delivery centres being erected on temporary land

EVfusion

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I can envisage a mixed strategy. Where available service centre places on motorways are at a premium (eg in parts of UK, Europe and Australia) it could be a three-way win if Tesla Superchargers were rolled out in existing centres. It would allow very low cost expansion for Tesla, allow improved utilisation for the service centre operator and on-motorway supercharger access with full facilities for Tesla drivers.
Both the Sheetz expansion and the new Los Angeles/San Francisco centre will provide Tesla with great feedback for going forward. The Sheetz model makes sense (like partnering with Panasonic) enabling low cost high customer value expansion without the drain on capital and management expertise that a go-it-alone strategy would entail. But depends on the availability of a suitable partner. Oil-owned service centre chains may not be workable. Retailer-owned chains could work well.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The concept of destination charging, super charging, and expanding into urban super charging are all winners in my book.

The concept of the “full service” stop. I don’t know. One of the big wins for me with going EV is that generally speaking outside of a road trip I will always “fill up” at home.

I don’t see myself using these full service stops. I’m going where I want to go and if I need a charge, I hope there is an option nearby; but I wouldn’t seek out one of these places.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t see myself using these full service stops.
Agreed. I see two scenarios where these are useful.
  1. For road trips
  2. For people in apartments/condos with on-street parking and no home charging available. They'll need to charge up once a week or so, and they'll need something to do while the car is charging.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. I see two scenarios where these are useful.
  1. For road trips
  2. For people in apartments/condos with on-street parking and no home charging available. They'll need to charge up once a week or so, and they'll need something to do while the car is charging.
And from the other side: eventually gas sales decline and so do convenience store & food purchases at Sheetz & Wawa. So maybe they want to do it as much (or more?) than Tesla...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And from the other side: eventually gas sales decline and so do convenience store & food purchases at Sheetz & Wawa. So maybe they want to do it as much (or more?) than Tesla...
I’m actually shocked they that they really haven’t started in an attempt to go with the trend.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Frankly even these full service SCs are not great so long as they continue to be in places off of your route.
Tesla needs to install chargers in actual highway service centers / rest areas.
Do you really want to pay a toll to exit the highway, drive a few miles off, sit there and charge for a half hour, then do it all again?
Our state did make some announcement that they will install chargers at rest stops, but didn't say when. Even if they are just slower chargepoint chargers, there's a good chance I will use them to top off instead of going out of my way off the highway to get to a supercharger unless I really need a lot more power.