Full range very low

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That does not seem right. 275 is around 75% for me. The few times I fully charged my car, I get between 307-309. Almost like you're getting a standard range vs long range.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd run that one up to management. No way you should be seeing a 100% charger that low. 1st thing I would try though would be "balancing the pack". I'm no expert but run it down to a low state of charge, less than 10% and fully charge it in one session. From Model S/X boards this is supposed to reset the algorithm and do some black magic deep in the bowles of the beast.

Defjukie

Country
Country
That does not seem right. 275 is around 75% for me. The few times I fully charged my car, I get between 307-309. Almost like you're getting a standard range vs long range.
These numbers don't sound right either. That would put your full charge range at 360 miles.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, we shall see what they say at the Service Center. Thanks for everyone's reply, and confirmation that I'm not crazy.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check to see if your max charging is set to about 80%.

When you are fully charged, does the battery show full? If so, time for the call.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ed, unfortunately the car is set to 100% and only charging to 258 miles.
That's almost like a Model 3 SR. Not okay. If Model 3 used a GOM, one could suggest that maybe you just have a history of driving fast or whatnot. But Tesla doesn't use GOMs, the range figures directly correspond to available energy.

Personally? I'd escalate, with a careful combination of carrots and sticks.

Sticks:
* The threat to report it as a lemon
* The threat to negatively publicize your case
* The mention of the word "lawyer"

Carrots:
* Insisting that you really don't want to do any of the above

Something like saying:

"It's really upsetting, and I really don't want to have to report it as a lemon; I know you're trying. I know you're in a big rush with Q3, so it's totally okay to push the fix off until early Q4, just so long as it gets fixed. There's no need for lawyers or anything like that, so long as you can get it fixed. I certainly don't want any negative PR for you; you're working to achieve amazing things."

ED: This post was based on a misreading of the situation - see below.

Last edited:

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's almost like a Model 3 SR. Not okay. If Model 3 used a GOM, one could suggest that maybe you just have a history of driving fast or whatnot. But Tesla doesn't use GOMs, the range figures directly correspond to available energy.

Personally? I'd escalate, with a careful combination of carrots and sticks.

Sticks:
* The threat to report it as a lemon
* The threat to negatively publicize your case
* The mention of the word "lawyer"

Carrots:
* Insisting that you really don't want to do any of the above

Something like saying:

"It's really upsetting, and I really don't want to have to report it as a lemon; I know you're trying. I know you're in a big rush with Q3, so it's totally okay to push the fix off until early Q4, just so long as it gets fixed. There's no need for lawyers or anything like that, so long as you can get it fixed. I certainly don't want any negative PR for you; you're working to achieve amazing things."
I’m very surprised by this post. You chastised another forum member for mentioning the lemon law for just a battery swap and now it’s the first thing you jump to?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’m very surprised by this post. You chastised another forum member for mentioning the lemon law for just a battery swap and now it’s the first thing you jump to?
One mea culpa first: I confused this thread with a different one, where a person had encountered a problem which management had said was normal variation and refused to fix. Hence the advice to "escalate" (which by definition means that there had already been a refusal to fix).

And this is totally different from the other case where the person was threatening a lemon law return. They had just been given a perfectly new battery with nothing wrong with it, and were threatening to lemon law the car just because the car had to have its battery replaced at all and they felt the swap took too long. Which was ridiculous.

To reiterate: I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression in this thread when writing my post that management was refusing to fix the problem. I brought that up only as leverage to ensure that the problem gets fixed. There's nothing unreasonable about that - if a car has a serious defect and the manufacturer won't or can't fix it, that's what lemon laws are for. What's unreasonable is lemon-lawing a fixed car with a brand new battery just because that battery was installed at a service centre rather than the factory.

However, obviously, after re-reading this thread and seeing that I was mistaken about this person having been refused a fix, what I wrote is obviously inapplicable. The obvious solution is just, "go tell them about your problem" :)

Last edited:

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One mea culpa first: I confused this thread with a different one, where a person had encountered a problem which management had said was normal variation and refused to fix. Hence the advice to "escalate" (which by definition means that there had already been a refusal to fix).

And this is totally different from the other case where the person was threatening a lemon law return. They had just been given a perfectly new battery with nothing wrong with it, and were threatening to lemon law the car just because the car had to have its battery replaced at all and they felt the swap took too long. Which was ridiculous.

To reiterate: I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression in this thread when writing my post that management was refusing to fix the problem. I brought that up only as leverage to ensure that the problem gets fixed. There's nothing unreasonable about that - if a car has a serious defect and the manufacturer won't or can't fix it, that's what lemon laws are for. What's unreasonable is lemon-lawing a fixed car with a brand new battery just because that battery was installed at a service centre rather than the factory.

However, obviously, after re-reading this thread and seeing that I was mistaken about this person having been refused a fix, what I wrote is obviously inapplicable. The obvious solution is just, "go tell them about your problem" :)
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I won’t get into the other case here.