FUD in the wild

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ICE cars shall pass into history just like the BlackBerry and StarTac
The funny thing about that is I've looked at many videos on how the Model 3 is built, and I took a close look at mine, too. They are build way, way simpler than the Mitsubishi I had before it - and Mitsu's are known for being simple to self-repair and self-upgrade. This tells me that manufacturers, with the capacity they have at their disposal, could build EV's much cheaper than they can build gasoline vehicles. They just don't want to pay the "entry cost" of developing a new vehicle platform.

This is exactly the same thing that killed the Blackberry.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This tells me that manufacturers, with the capacity they have at their disposal, could build EV's much cheaper than they can build gasoline vehicles.
The only real hard/expensive/cutting-edge part of an EV are the batteries. AC motors have been around since the late 1800's. High-power inverters have been around since the 1990s.

* - yes, I'm ignoring a lot of cutting-edge stuff Tesla has implemented in the Model 3 and Raven S/X. But other manufacturers haven't even been able to match a 2012 Model S.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla's electric motors are a bit unique. I can't find the reference right now, but there is a TV show that takes things apart to explain how they work but they could explain what makes the Tesla motors work.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla's electric motors are a bit unique. I can't find the reference right now, but there is a TV show that takes things apart to explain how they work but they could explain what makes the Tesla motors work.
They didn't take apart the Variable Frequency Drive with it, did they? That's where the secret is.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That would be Autoline with guest Sandy Munroe. The neodymium magnets are arranged in a way that boosts the Halbach effect.