Official FSDBeta MEGATHREAD <- For all FSD Beta discussions

Have you been selected to participate in the new FSD SW release?

• Total voters

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Honestly, I had better drives on 10.4. But that’s not to say it’s overly worse. There were things it handled well. But it freaked out on a turn on my windy road at about 40 mph, after dark, with oncoming traffic. I got the take over immediately message, which I did, and had to jerk the wheel hard to the left, so much so everything on the rear seat and floor (my groceries) went flying to the right side. TACC stayed engaged, so had to hit the brakes too. They are not kidding about keeping your hands on the wheel.

Despite that, I’m fascinated with the FSD development cycle. Will keep at it for now. Also had to activate and accept FSD terms every drive so far. It’s not staying activated. I will check it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Kizzy

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first drive on 10.5. May swerve a bit more rather than microbrake (but it still brakes a lot).

It seems better on windy roads (at least my usual route). Didn’t make me want to take over as much (particularly with opposing traffic).

Still wants to brake at diagonal street stop signs and non-traffic, artistic stop sign-inspired signage.

It still beeps a lot about FSD Beta being degraded and Navigate on Autopilot being unavailable in dark areas. I haven’t seen any complaints about camera blockage.

Still a bit weird about moving over into turn lanes when going straight sometimes.

I’ll have to see how it performs in the day time. That’s when it is most interesting/impressive to me.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first 10.5 drive from home to office seemed smoother without any mini phantom braking. For the first time Mr. Spacely completed a U turn which is needed out of my residence. And the neighborhood round-about was handled more confidentially. Downtown traffic was not an issue although it was a little light because of Thanksgiving tomorrow.

There are a few naysayers on this board who think FSD is still years away-- well I am experiencing it now without intervention on 2 out of 3 drives. Maybe my area has fewer edge cases. We are not anywhere near ready for Robo taxis, but the fleet seems to be learning pretty quickly...

Reactions: M3OC Rules

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just learned that FSD Beta requires you to agree to interior video recordings that is linked to you being shared with Tesla in the event of a crash or “safety risk.”

Thanks for pointing this out. Shouldn't change much from each of us, but hope it will keep the idiots out there in check. I'm quite certain that any FSD accidents will come with pretty quick replies from Tesla showing that the person didn't remain in control or take over immediately. I figure they have to do that to keep this program going and not get shut down.

• Agree
Reactions: bsunny and Mike

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Okay, way too long a thread to join in and read it all now that I’m in with 8.8 (10.5) so, please forgive me if these things were well hashed.

Better than I expected it to be at Average mode. A little slow off the start but not timid. I’ve had to nudge it a couple times but understandable.

Two big things I’ve observed are that:

1) like a lot of people who learned to drive watching movies, it starts right turns (US) by going wide rather than leading the turn (except when it gets too close to parking lot curbs that aren’t as prominent as road sides);

2) it’s still trying to stay in the center of an unmarked road or lane rather than realizing that many (Chicago) side roads are meant to accommodate 2 lanes per direction except when parked cars block the outer “lane.” That said, it does follow traffic ahead so that helps.

I don’t understand the turn signal logic. It comes on randomly while going straight (mostly feeder streets to parking lots) and doesn’t signal when entering a marked turn lane - it activates the signal when about 2nd car for turn).

On the display, it looks like it’s wearing a baseball cap and doesn’t seem to see traffic lights until quite a bit closer than it should so doesn’t start slowing until it needs to hard brake. Is that normal or is my camera blocked? No alert.

Micro braking! Nice term for what it’s doing to annoy tailgaters.

One afternoon of use and it only tried to kill me once by turning into a parked and disconnected semi trailer near the entrance to a parking lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Mike, Kizzy and JTE

JTE

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is that normal or is my camera blocked?
Yep, all of your observations are spot on to what others are seeing. All of your issues are also problematic here in California.

The right-hand turn thing is a big issue for me. I have several of those kinds of turns between my home and work so it prevents me from doing a driveway-to-driveway commute without intervening. I also have a few left turns that are the same. One is perceived as a bit of a dick (or at the very least unaware) if you don't move to the left of the unlined road to let others turn right at the light...

Last edited:

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep, all of your observations are spot on to what others are seeing. All of your issues are also problematic here in California.

The right-hand turn thing is a big issue for me. I have several of those kinds of turns between my home and work so it prevents me from doing a driveway-to-driveway commute without intervening. I also have a few left turns that are the same. You're a bit of a dick if you don't move to the left of the unlined road to let others turn right at the light...

Thanks and sorry for repeating stuff.

Yes, I’m a bit of a dick. What’s it to ya? Oh, wait, there’s more to that sentence hidden below the bottom of my screen. Yup, not just the lights. If you don’t let traffic have another lane, here, they cut you… off.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
10.5 seems better staying to the right on unlined roads, but the steering was very jerky. Seemed like it didn’t know what to make of the lines of tar sealer they use here to seal cracks in the pavement. As if it thought they were painted lines, but they go every which way. I took over since there was traffic behind me. They probably thought I was under the influence.

Night drive, dry pavement.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Seemed like it didn’t know what to make of the lines of tar sealer they use here to seal cracks in the pavement. As if it thought they were painted lines, but they go every which way. I took over since there was traffic behind me. They probably thought I was under the influence.
Been my experience since the start. Especially at dusk when they’re a bit reflective.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: francoisp and Mike

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting situations today - example of very poor road mapping?

Was in left of two lanes with 4 lanes total, two in each direction, DY lines in center. Coming to a navigated left turn where the right lane turns into Right Turn only, center to Straight or Right turn, and new center left lane for Left turn Only. Car activates left signal but stays in center lane determined to make a left turn. And it trys to tuen left form the Straight or Right only lane.

Next case was a transition curve between two roads that bypasses the intersection so it's a very gradual full speed of 40MPH curve. FSD-BB gives up mid-turn after jerkily entering it properly. But leaves TACC engaged at 40 MPH pointing the car directly at the outside curb.

Big Sigh.

Mike

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Interesting situations today - example of very poor road mapping?

Was in left of two lanes with 4 lanes total, two in each direction, DY lines in center. Coming to a navigated left turn where the right lane turns into Right Turn only, center to Straight or Right turn, and new center left lane for Left turn Only. Car activates left signal but stays in center lane determined to make a left turn. And it trys to tuen left form the Straight or Right only lane.

Next case was a transition curve between two roads that bypasses the intersection so it's a very gradual full speed of 40MPH curve. FSD-BB gives up mid-turn after jerkily entering it properly. But leaves TACC engaged at 40 MPH pointing the car directly at the outside curb.

Big Sigh.
From the peanut gallery (as FSD Beta is not yet available in Canada):

I’m disappointed that this iteration still “needs” map data at all.

My impressions of what EM says is the software end state: it should emulate how I would do a “first drive” from point A to point B.

Map data doesn’t matter once you are not going to get lost getting to point B.

Your example of the left turn shouldn’t depend on any map data, it should execute a left turn based on the layout it finds itself in, just like I (or any licensed driver) would.

• Agree
Reactions: francoisp

Lchamp

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think I see some improvement with 10.5.
My main concern is its inconsistency. Sometimes it's really good, other times in similar situations it's really bad.
I hate the random lane changes...sometimes into potential collision situations. Eternal vigilance.
It dives into turn lanes without signal, then stops abruptly and starts signalling for the turn. We are living in interesting times with FSD.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigriver and Kizzy

Kizzy

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From the peanut gallery (as FSD Beta is not yet available in Canada):

I’m disappointed that this iteration still “needs” map data at all.

My impressions of what EM says is the software end state: it should emulate how I would do a “first drive” from point A to point B.

Map data doesn’t matter once you are not going to get lost getting to point B.

Your example of the left turn shouldn’t depend on any map data, it should execute a left turn based on the layout it finds itself in, just like I (or any licensed driver) would.
I personally have trouble figuring out the correct lane to be in if I’m not already familiar with a route, so I appreciate that it can know lanes ahead of time with map data—what I don’t appreciate is how it seems to ignore this information (or doesn’t look further ahead).

But, to your point, yes, it should be doing a better job with/without map data. Do not dive into turning lanes that are clearly turning lanes if the plan is to go straight ahead and if the map data is wrong, read the road and correct for that. 🙃

Flashgj

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On 10.5 and had my first opportunity to drive about 800 miles on the interstate. I had so many phantom braking events that I finally had to turn autopilot off. I was fine and quickly adjusted with either a thumbwheel or pedal adjustment, but my passengers had a difficult time tolerating the sudden slowdowns.

It does seem like FSD 10.5 (or FSD BETA in general) has made these slowdowns occur much more often, even though they are still on 2 separate stacks.

• Agree
Reactions: bsunny and FRC

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On 10.5 and had my first opportunity to drive about 800 miles on the interstate. I had so many phantom braking events that I finally had to turn autopilot off. I was fine and quickly adjusted with either a thumbwheel or pedal adjustment, but my passengers had a difficult time tolerating the sudden slowdowns.

It does seem like FSD 10.5 (or FSD BETA in general) has made these slowdowns occur much more often, even though they are still on 2 separate stacks.
I'm with you @Flashgj. Even with beta toggled off, there are several unpleasant side effects on AP/TACC/NOA. If I don't see massive improvement soon, I think I'll regrettably request that I be removed from the beta program.

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Vision only sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: Lchamp and Kizzy