Official FSDBeta MEGATHREAD <- For all FSD Beta discussions

Have you been selected to participate in the new FSD SW release?

• Total voters

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 20 is the day. I’m as anxious to find out who is considered an expert and careful driver as I am to hear of how the new FSD re-write performs.

2928E73A-C9A5-4CAE-B93C-8D873E0958E9.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I added a poll to this thread. If we learn and determine that this is a beta with an NDA associated with it, we can then mark the poll private so that names are not seen. You can't reverse a poll however and show names once they start off private.

We may likely deem we need a new moderator started thread rather than this one so that it can have a proper first post as @garsh has been creating with appropriate software versions tracked and release notes.

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a problem with this because I wonder whether deviations from the AP system are judged to be unsafe. Considering I’m of the opinion their software has occasional unsafe habits, I find myself overriding it a higher percentage than I’d like (relative to how little driving I do these days and how little of that is on AP).

Honestly don’t care if they deem me a safe driver since my insurance, other drivers, the DMV/police, and my CDL/driving instructor credentials all speak to that. I’m more concerned about what criteria they may be using and how that will impact the quality of my future FSD experience (as well as how my car’s behavior whether or not I’m on board will reflect on my record).

Additionally, since safety is relative to the environment, I hope that they will be picking people who are both forward thinking enough to avoid situations as well as those who are capable evasive drivers to escape situations. One thing I was taught to teach my students was to always check behind when taking action but AP basically ignores the aft camera and has no rear projecting sensors. You can keep a safe distance in front and escape paths on either side all you want but if your actions result in a rear collision or a Mr. Magoo style pile up in your wake, you (or the FSD) are patently unsafe.

Last edited:

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐓🦃🦉🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a problem with this because I wonder whether deviations from the AP system are judged to be unsafe.
Generally, Tesla has used "driver overrides" as a signal that AP is likely doing something wrong.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Additionally, since safety is relative to the environment, I hope that they will be picking people who are both forward thinking enough to avoid situations as well as those who are capable evasive drivers to escape situations.
If they want someone to test in a snowstorm without winter tires they can send it my way.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a problem with this because I wonder whether deviations from the AP system are judged to be unsafe. Considering I’m of the opinion their software has occasional unsafe habits, I find myself overriding it a higher percentage than I’d like (relative to how little driving I do these days and how little of that is on AP).

Honestly don’t care if they deem me a safe driver since my insurance, other drivers, the DMV/police, and my CDL/driving instructor credentials all speak to that. I’m more concerned about what criteria they may be using and how that will impact the quality of my future FSD experience (as well as how my car’s behavior whether or not I’m on board will reflect on my record).

Additionally, since safety is relative to the environment, I hope that they will be picking people who are both forward thinking enough to avoid situations as well as those who are capable evasive drivers to escape situations. One thing I was taught to teach my students was to always check behind when taking action but AP basically ignores the aft camera and has no rear projecting sensors. You can keep a safe distance in front and escape paths on either side all you want but if your actions result in a rear collision or a Mr. Magoo style pile up in your wake, you (or the FSD) are patently unsafe.

Don't take that tweet too seriously. They are not screening testers based on their observed driving habits. That was PR. They carefully chose employees I am sure.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't take that tweet too seriously. They are not screening testers based on their observed driving habits. That was PR. They carefully chose employees I am sure.

I disagree....Tesla is telling us that we are horrible drivers. LOL.

I understand why they didn't pick me - ( even though I am a EAP'er ). I test 0-60 times too often. lol

0-60 testing is cheaper and more fun than a pace-maker.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐓🦃🦉🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A couple of screenshots from the Q3 2020 update.

Autopilot & Full Self Driving (FSD)
Our Autopilot team has been focused on a fundamental architectural rewrite of our
neural networks and control algorithms. This rewrite will allow the remaining driving
features to be released. In October, we sent the first FSD software update enabled
by the rewrite to a limited number of Early Access Program users City Streets. As
we continue to collect data over time, the system will become more robust.
1603362461130.png

1603362442995.png