EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Speak for yourself. I can't even reach my destination 2 blocks away.
Yeah, I’ve found it really depends upon the streets you drive on. In my urban area, I’ve concluded that it screws up more often than it executes something correctly. However, I drove a lot in the suburbs today and it was far better, a bit jerky, but almost no disengagements.

In my urban area, here’s an example round trip drive last night. Ten turns to negotiate (five in each direction) and I had to disengage at six of the ten.
Turn 1: Disengaged before turn since car was going to block opposing traffic at stop sign.
Turn 2: Disengaged after car missed turnoff.
Turn 3: Successful, but car started to pick wrong lane then jerked into correct one.
Turn 4: Disengaged when car crossed into other lane when turning at a two lane turn signal.
Turn 5: Disengaged when car tried to make right turn from middle lane.
Return trip:
Turn 6: Successful, could be smoother.
Turn 7: Disengaged when car tried to go straight while in a right-turn-only/bus lane.
Turn 8: Successful, and this one is actually a little tricky.
Turn 9: Successful.
Turn 10: Disengaged when car swung way too wide.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hell, yesterday my car detected and began slowing for a non-existent stoplight on a 65 mph freeway.
Turn off Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. I had to do that too.

See the subthread starting here:
And ending here:

• Helpful
Reactions: francoisp

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Turn off Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. I had to do that too.
Certainly would correct the problem. But, isn't that kinda like saying FSD works perfectly when it not turned on? I've used "stoplights" since it came out just to experience FSD on a step-by-step basis, and it's been pretty reliable doing what it does with the occasional exception. The only function it currently performs that I find useful is the "bong" when the light turns green, but it's worth it just for that.

airj1012

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any chance you need recalibrate cameras or consider hardware issues? Seems a lot of people are having better, even if imperfect, experiences.
Nope don't think that's an issue. Last night the car noticed that the light turned green but didn't go. It's reacted to the same light before.

However that doesn't explain the at least 3 different times I've turned onto a street, with an upcoming left-hand turn, and the car moves out of the lane it's currently in and gets into the rightmost lane and then decides it needs to go left. On one street it did this dance twice. Was in the left lane, went into the right, then the left lane, then the right land again, but ultimately getting back into the left lane to make the left hand turn. The left-hand turn is clearly shown on the GPS. These are the things that I personally think are more elementary that am surprised to be seeing. In my mind, an edge case is some new weird intersection or something very local.

The only thing I can think of why some people are having great experiences vs not is how new the geography is. For instance, there were probably a good number of FSD beta testers in west coast cities when it was only 2K drivers. Complete guess here, but I think there were an extremely limited number of drivers in my city, if any. My thought is that things will get better quickly once they start using my data in future builds. Thats the only reason I can think of that would explain the difference in experiences. It's a guess though.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Certainly would correct the problem. But, isn't that kinda like saying FSD works perfectly when it not turned on?
The FSD/"City Streets" software stack is currently different/separate from the current Autopilot stack. At some point, the "city streets" stack will be expanded to handle highways as well, at which point it will replace the current Autopilot stack.

So my take on all of this is that "traffic light and stop sign control" is a cludge on the old autopilot stack that was attempting to show progress, but in the end they had to throw that out and start over.

Reactions: Long Ranger

JustTheTip

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And yet there will definitely be some jackwagon out there that makes a dumb video or tiktok showing how cool he is by sleeping in the back seat or something asinine like that. You just can’t take the stupid out of some people!

Hopefully they can lay off long enough for me to get the beta.
I would hope Tesla would be smart enough to not allow this to happen, with the interior camera. But some poor sap will probably strap his Real Doll into the driver’s seat to get around it.

airj1012

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just got back from some new routes and it did MUCH better. Although I wouldn't classify the things it struggled with initially as edge cases. That being said, coming out of a parking lot it hit the accelerator really quick to get up to 40. The problem is that the lane it turns into is a bus lane that ends quickly. So I most likely would have ended up on the curb (after the turning lane ended) if I didn't intervene. The problem isn't that is used the bus lane, its that it slammed on the accelerator to get up to 40 right after making the turn. Not sure why it does this in some scenarios. Usually when you increase the speed on AP on the highway is creeps up to the new speed, not with quick acceleration.

Also I've noticed that the car doesn't take left-hand turns when the arrow is blinking yellow. This I understand. Some of the other things I've experience make zero sense.

1634226087319.png

littlD

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would hope Tesla would be smart enough to not allow this to happen, with the interior camera. But some poor sap will probably strap his Real Doll into the driver’s seat to get around it.
DMS is now enabled. You have to maintain attentiveness and can't cover the cabin camera.

Reach for your phone, it'll go off.

Do that enough, you'll get revoked.

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wish FSD was smarter about regenerative braking. Before FSD, my foot almost never hit the brake pedal, but FSD seems to use it like regen isn't even a thing (ok, exaggerating a bit)... Who will be the first to need a brake job?

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The FSD/"City Streets" software stack is currently different/separate from the current Autopilot stack. At some point, the "city streets" stack will be expanded to handle highways as well, at which point it will replace the current Autopilot stack.

So my take on all of this is that "traffic light and stop sign control" is a cludge on the old autopilot stack that was attempting to show progress, but in the end they had to throw that out and start over.
Good point. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control probably does nothing when driving around with FSD in control. That setting is probably only meaningful when on the freeway now (you can definitely tell when the car has switched over to older style AP or NOA), but that setting tends to just cause unwanted braking on the freeway. I’m going to try switching it off. Thanks!

Reactions: DocScott and garsh

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
but that setting tends to just cause unwanted braking on the freeway.
OMG. Sorry Long Ranger if I'm stealing your thunder here, but I can confirm this. Where I live, highway 160 south terminates at highway 4 where onramps will take you east or west on HW4. Each of these ramps has traffic control lights right before it puts you on the freeway. About 1000 feet before these traffic control lights, there are warning lights that will flash if traffic control is activated. 99% of the time I go through this, there is no traffic control so those warning lights are not lit. Until I just deactivated "traffic light and stop sign control", Ginger would phantom brake there EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm overly-ecstatic to report NOT ANYMORE!!!😀
IMO, future software updates should automatically turn that feature off as soon as you flip the switch for FSD. How do we make this happen?

Reactions: DocScott

wellerjohn

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wish FSD was smarter about regenerative braking. Before FSD, my foot almost never hit the brake pedal, but FSD seems to use it like regen isn't even a thing (ok, exaggerating a bit)... Who will be the first to need a brake job?
And it’s accelerating right up to the last second, it’s hard not to take over and brake.

• Agree
Reactions: Tombolian

DocScott

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Nope don't think that's an issue. Last night the car noticed that the light turned green but didn't go. It's reacted to the same light before.

However that doesn't explain the at least 3 different times I've turned onto a street, with an upcoming left-hand turn, and the car moves out of the lane it's currently in and gets into the rightmost lane and then decides it needs to go left. On one street it did this dance twice. Was in the left lane, went into the right, then the left lane, then the right land again, but ultimately getting back into the left lane to make the left hand turn. The left-hand turn is clearly shown on the GPS. These are the things that I personally think are more elementary that am surprised to be seeing. In my mind, an edge case is some new weird intersection or something very local.

The only thing I can think of why some people are having great experiences vs not is how new the geography is. For instance, there were probably a good number of FSD beta testers in west coast cities when it was only 2K drivers. Complete guess here, but I think there were an extremely limited number of drivers in my city, if any. My thought is that things will get better quickly once they start using my data in future builds. Thats the only reason I can think of that would explain the difference in experiences. It's a guess though.
The result you describe is clearly bad, but the question is what does the car "think" it's doing? I wonder if it thinks there are obstacles or traffic that aren't really there, so by changing lanes back and forth it's avoiding the "phantom obstacles"? If that's the case, the cameras could indeed be a factor.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Safety Score finally disappeared from the app today. Didn't reset the phone or update/close the app, so no idea what triggered it.