FSD / HW3 Full Self Driving Retrofit - Burbank Anyone?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have an appointment for the FSD / HW3 retrofit at the Burbank CA Service Center coming up soon. Reviews are not the best.
Has anyone had this done in Burbank? Your thoughts please.

And how long does this take?
With Covid spiking, not too excited about spending lots of waiting time in the waiting area or the nearby Ikea.

I live about 40 miles from the service center.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have an appointment for the FSD / HW3 retrofit at the Burbank CA Service Center coming up soon. Reviews are not the best.
Has anyone had this done in Burbank? Your thoughts please.

And how long does this take?
With Covid spiking, not too excited about spending lots of waiting time in the waiting area or the nearby Ikea.

I live about 40 miles from the service center.
Agree w/ @FRC - 2 hours max these days unless you have an early model and then it may take an extra hour as there is a wiring harness that must also be replaced.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure how long the work actually took, but I had a 10:30 appointment, and they asked me to come back at 3 the same day. Then they texted around 2:30 saying that there was more calibration needed than expected and asked me not to come back until 4:30. I have an Oct 2018 build model 3 performance w/ PUP.

ateslik

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just did this on Wednesday at Burbank. I dropped the car off at 10:30 and they texted me to pick it up at 4. Pickup was smooth. Everything seems to be working fine, except I had to retrain homelink and redo my wifi connection info, which is normal. But all my profiles and the vehicle name were all still there.

Lisa took care of me and did a good job. Nice communication.

Biggest noticeable difference to me is the green light bong sound. Otherwise nothing interesting.... until FSD beta comes out to us plebs.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmmm that’s weird.....some are reporting it only took them 1.2 - 2 hours. I wonder what affects the duration?
What’s the model and build date of your 3? I think mine’s a 10/2018 build LR RWD.

I checked Google maps and it’s actually about 20 miles from my house. I guess its Uber ride for me then. Would be nice to get a loaner. Oh yeah, my appointment is not til 1:30pm so it might even be a 2 day thing.

Thanks all for the replies.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hmmm that’s weird.....some are reporting it only took them 1.2 - 2 hours. I wonder what affects the duration?
What’s the model and build date of your 3? I think mine’s a 10/2018 build LR RWD.

I checked Google maps and it’s actually about 20 miles from my house. I guess its Uber ride for me then. Would be nice to get a loaner. Oh yeah, my appointment is not til 1:30pm so it might even be a 2 day thing.

Thanks all for the replies.
I figure the difference in the time is how the SC works cars in and out and how many technicians they have. Might be someone else in front of you and they are backed up, maybe they have two cars and work on them at the same time effectivly taking twice the amount of time. Maybe it is about setting expectations, telling you 1.5 hours and an issue comes up or an emergency fix or lunch or some other item interrupts the switch out. The actual swap start to finish with non-interruptions by someone that has done several of them I can guarantee is less than 2 hours. Your mileage may vary based on all the factors above plus many more I didn't think about. I would simply plan on it taking at least as long as their estimate says, anything less is bonus.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Took a day and a half for my Nov ‘18 P+ but that was back in the very early days of the retro fit. Did get enough Uber credits to Uber Black from Burbank to the west valley and back but again that was pre COVID so idk if thats a perk now.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Spoke to Burbank SC. Advised me to drop off the car and pick up 24 hours later. Yes, $100 Uber credit will be provided.
So I guess it’s still taking quite a while for the retrofit. Hardware swap is quick but software loading/update takes a while.
Wish me luck!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Follow up:

Dropped off car for Tues 1:30pm appt. Was told car should be by 4:30pm same day. Was surprised at how quick it would be after being told 24 hours. Was provided $200 Uber credit. Let’s just say I made good use of the credit. Got a text around 6:30pm same day (Tues) car was ready. Picked up next morning. Now I’m seeing new visualizations....not much else. FSD some day.....