FSD Beta

Have you been selected to participate in the new FSD SW release?

• Total voters

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Regardless of the concise and imprecise nature of the Full-Self-Driving phrase, we can go back and watch the Tesla Autonomy Day video where this feature was introduced, and we can review what was actually promised by Elon and Tesla.
Is there a tl;dr summary somewhere? 3 hrs and 52 min is a long time to commit to this review.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there a tl;dr summary somewhere? 3 hrs and 52 min is a long time to commit to this review.
There are a few articles written about the event.

Reactions: Bigriver

SalisburySam

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
renaming "bug report" to "log capture" would be more accurate as it removes the implication of filing a report vs time stamping a set of data for later retrieval and analysis.
While I agree renaming for accuracy is a good idea, I don't think "log capture" really highlights the worth and contribution of "bug report." I'd suggest naming it "elevator door close." We've all learned from decades of elevator use what that button does (nothing, likely not even wired) as a placebo to make one feel in control of anything in an elevator. Seems analogous.

SalisburySam

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
and that is the crux of it.

what does FSD mean? the definition has changed over the years from Tesla to between customers to law makers. does it mean sleeping in the drivers seat? the back seat? does it mean robotaxi service? does it mean your car coming to you in a parking lot? circling the block endlessly while you are inside shopping? I have heard all of these bandied about at one point or another.

Some people (like you :) ) take it to mean FULL .... SELF ... DRIVE - the whole ball of wax. but I am not sure that everyone (Tesla included) mean that today, yesterday or tomorrow.

40 years ago I could not imagine doors sliding open sideways on my approach, video calls at my desk or streaming music at the command of my voice. yet here we are now, living in Star Trek land. Who knows what features FSD will have in 20 years.
At least one of us hopes it means AutoPark will someday actually auto park.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
At least one of us hopes it means AutoPark will someday actually auto park.
I continue to have good success with AutoPark, both parallel parking and backing into a spot. My only grumble is AutoPark being able to detect a spot on the driver side of a parking lot row unless I swing over to that side to which pedestrians and other cars in the lot see to take exception.

ig0p0g0

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But if it much safer than a human and drives like a human, the value would likely go to an amount based on how much you can earn as a robotaxi which could be a lot more than $10k. And then it starts to be a big penalty for owning versus using a robotaxi.
Keep in mind the supply side of supply and demand. When FSD is eventually developed, when there are true competitors, and when the marginal cost drops to near zero, FSD will not be $10000. Probably it will be some kind of negotiable high margin add on like a towing package or extended warranty.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
None of that matters, I (and many others) paid for FSD. It needs to drive itself from point A to point B... FULLY
Sorry. Maybe getting off topic but I believe Lance was referring to future pricing models. But I also believe some of those things I mentioned are relevant to what you paid for. How you get from point A to point B matters. It's not clear what it will take to get regulatory approval but Tesla usually talks about things in terms of accidents. People complain about how Autopilot drives all the time despite it avoiding accidents. Also there are tradeoffs between things like safety, trip time, and speed/aggressiveness. You could go from point A to point B on easier routes that take longer for example. What are the weather restrictions? Will they come up with a solution for bad map data? What is an acceptable failure rate? It's not going to be perfect but no one knows what that means because its not done and it's not even clear when it will be done enough for regulatory approval.

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I continue to have good success with AutoPark, both parallel parking and backing into a spot. My only grumble is AutoPark being able to detect a spot on the driver side of a parking lot row unless I swing over to that side to which pedestrians and other cars in the lot see to take exception.
I tried auto parallel park a couple weeks ago. Parked about 3 feet away from the curb. Really protected the wheels.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Keep in mind the supply side of supply and demand. When FSD is eventually developed, when there are true competitors, and when the marginal cost drops to near zero, FSD will not be $10000. Probably it will be some kind of negotiable high margin add on like a towing package or extended warranty.
In that scenario the cost of owning a car should be much higher than utilizing a robotaxi service due to very low relative utilization in the ownership case.

SalisburySam

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Very envious. Either you’re lucky, or I’m not, or both. I’ve not had it ever work. Not once. Never. No parallel, no perpendicular, no passenger side, no driver side. The only times (twice) I‘ve even seen the erstwhile “P” symbol is stopped at a traffic light with no intention of parking.

• Funny
Reactions: francoisp

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
I've used autopark 100's of times successfully. Except for one time it went crazy spinning the wheel too fast, and two or three too close events, I've never had any problems with it. It works a ton better than the auto wipers as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had good success with Summons and great success with autopark. The auto wipers are also very good, but occasionally I hit the side button for an extra wipe.

francoisp

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Sure, it’s what most of us thought we were buying, myself included. I’m just saying that Tesla provides almost no specification of what you’re actually buying on the website and order page. All you have is the FSD name itself and what they’ve said in other public statements. It’s something, but I feel like there’s still a lot of wiggle room. With the current website description, they could possibly just add level 2 Autosteer on City Streets and call it feature complete. I do believe they intend level 4/5 autonomy, but I’m skeptical that they’ll get there anytime soon and I won’t be surprised if they declare it feature complete when it’s still short of many expectations.

I tend to agree with you. FSD has a pixel-size asterisk attached to it: "FSD requires supervision".

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tend to agree with you. FSD has a pixel-size asterisk attached to it: "FSD requires supervision".

That’s undoubtedly going to be an absolute requirement for the first couple (if not few) years of FSD. When I got my 3 I was absolutely paranoid when using AP. I had an iron grip on the steering wheel (enough to constantly disengage autosteer when going on a straight road) and always hovered my foot over the brakes.

Though we can’t supervise what we don’t have ;)

• Agree
Reactions: M3OC Rules

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What about auto brights?
auto brights work great for me. 2 or so years back they would flash on/off/on/off in certain conditions (like going up a hill and having a reflective sign bob in and out of view) but now they are pretty bang on.

except that I need to turn on the functionality with the wand, nearly everytime i go driving. I have it checked in the settings, should that not be enough? apparently not as I have to confirm with the wand. My xc60 is similar, I need to turn on autobrights every time I start up the car. Maybe it is a regulatory thing.

francoisp

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
auto brights work great for me. 2 or so years back they would flash on/off/on/off in certain conditions (like going up a hill and having a reflective sign bob in and out of view) but now they are pretty bang on.

except that I need to turn on the functionality with the wand, nearly everytime i go driving. I have it checked in the settings, should that not be enough? apparently not as I have to confirm with the wand. My xc60 is similar, I need to turn on autobrights every time I start up the car. Maybe it is a regulatory thing.
Regarding having the auto brights on by default, have you tried pushing the wand to turn the functionality on (or off)? When I do that, the car seems to remember from one day to the next.

Last edited:

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
except that I need to turn on the functionality with the wand, nearly everytime i go driving. I have it checked in the settings, should that not be enough?
You need to have the setting checked, AND you need to leave the headlights in high-beam mode.

So you're probably fiddling with your wand when you shouldn't be. ;)