FSD Beta

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Have you been selected to participate in the new FSD SW release?

• Total voters

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It definitely turns on the signal in at least some cases where the lane splits and its really uncomfortable because people think you're going to change lanes.

Its in the rule book here in Illinois that you are supposed to indicate your intention. There are only 3 blinks.

FSD follows the rules of the road in each state and doesn't follow human driving habits.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It definitely turns on the signal in at least some cases where the lane splits and its really uncomfortable because people think you're going to change lanes.
There's one split in the highway that I drive every day to get to work.
NoA is pretty random in deciding whether or not to put on a turn signal for that split. It changes from one drive to the next running the same software.
I think it just gets confused about whether it's a lane split or it's taking an exit.

DocScott

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Its in the rule book here in Illinois that you are supposed to indicate your intention. There are only 3 blinks.

FSD follows the rules of the road in each state and doesn't follow human driving habits.
This brings up an FSD Beta question: does FSD Beta know what city and state you're in, and apply the local and state laws? In New York City, for instance, there's no right turn on red. Does it know that?

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This brings up an FSD Beta question: does FSD Beta know what city and state you're in, and apply the local and state laws? In New York City, for instance, there's no right turn on red. Does it know that?

Early on....I found that to be the case. I live on the border of Illinois and Indiana.

FSD would definitely exit the leftmost lane ( passing lane ) on the expressway in Illinois.
In Indiana - it wouldn't.

I'm don't know if it had anything to do with the rules of the road, however it was clear and distinct traveling from Indiana to Illinois on Route 80. I would be traveling in the leftmost lane in Indiana and FSD would be perfectly happy. As soon as I hit the border line in Illinois FSD would want to exit the left lane and move to the right lane. It was repeatable and instant.

NOW....FSD doesn't want to travel in the leftmost lane in either state.

• Informative
Reactions: DocScott

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the pre-AI code, FSD and it works reasonably well. I see current Beta testers are showing much improved functionality. But I would be pissed if I had to buy FSD all over again.

A reasonable 'maintenance' or 'upgrade' fee, say 10% of my original purchase price, OK. Just I don't want to see having a replacement cost equal to a new purchase. If so, I'll go monthly rental at least one month and then decide.

Bob Wilson

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the pre-AI code, FSD and it works reasonably well. I see current Beta testers are showing much improved functionality. But I would be pissed if I had to buy FSD all over again.

A reasonable 'maintenance' or 'upgrade' fee, say 10% of my original purchase price, OK. Just I don't want to see having a replacement cost equal to a new purchase. If so, I'll go monthly rental at least one month and then decide.

Bob Wilson
I’m not sure I understand your post, Bob. Once you purchase FSD, you don’t need to pay for it again.

• Agree
Reactions: Mike

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m not sure I understand your post, Bob. Once you purchase FSD, you don’t need to pay for it again.
In the past, expensive software purchases came with a 'maintenance' fee that covered bug fixes and updates. But I've seen no updates to the earlier code stack and my 'bug reports' appear to be ignored. This is reasonable IF all hands are working the new, AI based code stack. For example, my FSD was $6,000 in October 2019. Since then, Tesla programmers have been fully applied to the AI code stack ... a good thing.

I am not adverse to an additional fee that recognizes my early, $6,000. What I don't want to see is no recognition of this 'early adopter' purchase.

Bob Wilson

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In the past, expensive software purchases came with a 'maintenance' fee that covered bug fixes and updates. But I've seen no updates to the earlier code stack and my 'bug reports' appear to be ignored. This is reasonable IF all hands are working the new, AI based code stack. For example, my FSD was $6,000 in October 2019. Since then, Tesla programmers have been fully applied to the AI code stack ... a good thing.

I am not adverse to an additional fee that recognizes my early, $6,000. What I don't want to see is no recognition of this 'early adopter' purchase.

Bob Wilson
I had never considered Tesla would do that. I expect everything under the FSD umbrella would be included in our FSD purchase. Especially since we don’t really have any FSD features yet.

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
... and my 'bug reports' appear to be ignored.
That whole "bug report" feature apparently doesn't work the way we originally thought.

All it does is save some information about the vehicle state. In order to be useful, you need to contact Tesla Service about the issue, and at that point you can give them the approximate date and time when you took the report, and they can hopefully use that extra information to help diagnose the issue.

But by itself, a "bug report" is ignored.

PalmtreesCalling

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That whole "bug report" feature apparently doesn't work the way we originally thought.

All it does is save some information about the vehicle state. ...

But by itself, a "bug report" is ignored.
As a Test Manager, if that's accurate, it's a bullshit way to run a software company (which is really what tesla is). When I tell the system to report a bug, it ought to do that. A stack where the text of all the reports gets compared to weed out potential duplicates.
Then it ought to let you know it was accepted and recorded. Getting disposition is asking too much, but it ought to be reasonable to have the system say it was received and being processed.

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As a Test Manager, if that's accurate, it's a bullshit way to run a software company (which is really what tesla is). When I tell the system to report a bug, it ought to do that. A stack where the text of all the reports gets compared to weed out potential duplicates.
Then it ought to let you know it was accepted and recorded. Getting disposition is asking too much, but it ought to be reasonable to have the system say it was received and being processed.

They just need to remove that "feature". It's a false sense of hope for owners that think their issue is being looked at (till @garsh pointed out that it goes no where, I was part of that group :-( ). Realistically, it makes sense that they're not going to look at that as there're hundreds of thousands of vehicles and the slew of "bug reports" would be too large to go through.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
All it does is save some information about the vehicle state. In order to be useful, you need to contact Tesla Service about the issue, and at that point you can give them the approximate date and time when you took the report, and they can hopefully use that extra information to help diagnose the issue.

That's actually more useful than I expected. I thought it became part of aggregate data so Tesla could see major problem trends, but your particular report wouldn't be saved anywhere.

Reactions: DocScott

francoisp

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I had never considered Tesla would do that. I expect everything under the FSD umbrella would be included in our FSD purchase. Especially since we don’t really have any FSD features yet.
I would not be a bit surprised to learn one day that Tesla decides to stop selling FSD as an option and only offers it as a subscription like Adobe is doing with Photoshop and Microsoft with Office 365. A constant revenue stream that finances ongoing improvements.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DocScott and Mike

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would not be a bit surprised to learn on day that Tesla decides to stop selling FSD as an option and only offers it as a subscription like Adobe is doing with Photoshop and Microsoft with Office 365. A constant revenue stream that finances ongoing improvements.
That, I agree with. I hope there’s some heads up before it happens.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you've already paid for FSD, then your vehicle will be grandfathered. :)
I'm not sure I understand this part of the conversation. What's to grandfather here? Those of us who paid up front have FSD for the life of the car. Now, there's another option; you can subscribe month-to-month. But you can still buy FSD for 10K if you want. So, in what way does this new subscription plan affect my up front purchase? In no way at all.

• Agree
Reactions: DocScott and garsh