Front Windshield Distortion

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
x-post from the rear distortion thread:

My windshield is essentially like an Austrian flag of clear/distorted/clear/distorted etc. There are three or four horizontal rows of distortion along the windshield, maybe a couple inches thick. I haven't gotten into the passenger seat to see if they go all the way across but I'm assuming they do. It causes a ghosting effect where there are two of everything. The ghost image is directly above the physical object, maybe about six inches to a foot above said object.

In the daytime, sometimes you won't see the ghost image, but objects will appear distorted like a very subtle fun-house mirror. It's really pronounced at night, where every light has a dimmer version of itself right on top.

The biggest problem is that one of the rows is right in my field of view, so I'm seeing it constantly. I can move my head up or down to change what the distortion affects. If I lean forward and move further up or further down, other rows of distortion can be found. I haven't tried a seat adjustment, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have much of an effect since the viewing angle wouldn't change all that much.
Yup, this is what makes your eyes ache after 30 minutes or so of driving. I took a picture of the ripples, but those are probably fine. My worry is that a defect like that is a sign of a defect like distortion that you can't take a picture of and only really notice after you drive off the lot.

After Googling the heck out of this, making good glass actually seems really hard, and I think Tesla isn't paying much attention to it right now. There are loads of people complaining about issues like this on other cars, but only after replacing their OEM windshield with a cheap Chinese one to save money.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup, this is what makes your eyes ache after 30 minutes or so of driving. I took a picture of the ripples, but those are probably fine. My worry is that a defect like that is a sign of a defect like distortion that you can't take a picture of and only really notice after you drive off the lot.

After Googling the heck out of this, making good glass actually seems really hard, and I think Tesla isn't paying much attention to it right now. There are loads of people complaining about issues like this on other cars, but only after replacing their OEM windshield with a cheap Chinese one to save money.
I have a service appointment to look at both front and back on the 24th. I scheduled it this late to line up with a planned trip. I won't be back until June 1, so we'll have to be patient to see if replacement fixes the issue.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dropped Raiden off yesterday in Decatur for front and rear glass distortion. Service department agreed that the windshield was an issue and it will be replaced. However, they mentioned that all rear glass has the distortion at the defroster elements and a replacement wouldn’t accomplish anything.

Side note: the parking lot was a sardine can of Model 3s awaiting delivery but the delivery center was a ghost town. It was 5pm, but I thought they pushed them out later than that. Forgot to count but I think there were at least 30.

Alejo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I too have had issues with my model 3 which I just got about a month ago. I picked up the car and looked it over inside the showroom then had the tint/ film guy pick it up. When it was done i drove it and noticed the windshield distortion along with the yellowish back bumper. I dropped it off at service, and they made me take off the front tint which i did, and the distortion is still clearly present. I even supplied pictures showing electrical wires, and solid lines being all wiggly. A service center is now saying they can't replicate the issue, and its getting really frustrating. I don't understand how you show then photos, and you point it out in person and they still can't see it. It's got to the point where I had to escalate it up to management. I just think its disappointing you wait 2 years for a car, and pay a good amount of money and have to deal with issues that they are fighting to fix.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just noticed distortion on my windshield today after driving the car for 4 weeks. I didn't notice it before since it's only noticeable on the passenger side of the windshield. I also wonder if the passenger would notice the same effect on the driver side, if it's an issue that only shows up when you are not looking at the glass straight on.

I don't think it's as noticeable as OP's, but will try to see if I can take some reference shots.

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just picked my car up yesterday, and it has quite a bit of distortion, but they said that it's still in-spec. They showed me another car that was way worse. They said that even if they replace the windshield, the new one might be better or worse than the one I have in my car. They said no glass is perfect and that all cars have this, but I have never seen it before. I don't notice it when driving, though, so I'll just have to wait and see.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They said no glass is perfect and that all cars have this, but I have never seen it before.
Both my new Hyundai Tucson and my old 1999 Dodge Intrepid had a good bit of distortion in the rear window. I never cared enough to ask that they fix them though, but my tolerance might be higher than yours. The windshields in those cars were pretty good - a little bit of noticeable distortion at the edges and corners.

The glass in my 2012 Nissan Leaf is actually really good. In general, windows with a lot of rake are going to suffer from distortion, because when the glass is at an angle, you're having to look through a much thicker portion of glass, which is going to result in more refraction of the light passing through.

JabBauer

Country
Country
I wonder how many model 3 owners are closely reinspecting their windshields because of this thread. I noticed this on a coworker's model 3, though it did not affect my driving ability in the least.

Of potential problems with your car, unless it's glaringly bad, this should be one people should be able to overlook. Nit picks like these will eventually force Tesla be less generous to future items under warranty work.

Think about LL. Bean. Their return policy had to be scrapped because of the few who took excessive advantage.

Last edited:

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder how many model 3 owners are closely reinspecting their windshields because of this thread. I noticed this on a coworker's model 3, though it did not affect my driving ability in the least.

Of potential problems with your car, unless it's glaringly bad, this should be one people should be able to overlook. Nit picks like these will eventually force Tesla be less generous to future items under warranty work.

Think about LL. Bean. Their return policy had to be scrapped because of the few who took excessive advantage.
Mine was obvious due to the garage door in the delivery area.

Ideally, Tesla should just provide windshieldsthat don't have this issue. My last two cars were Audis and this would never be acceptable. However, Tesla owners seem tl be muh less picky than most luxury car buyers.

Actually, Tesla has been extremely stingy compared to Audi. My tail light has had condensation for a week, but Tesla says it's normal. They are only replacing it after my insistence and several photos.

It's up to Tesla to set what is "acceptable" and if the windshield distortion spec is accepted by the average Tesla buyer then more power to Tesla for knowing their customer.

This car is not equivalent to a BMW or Audi initial quality standards. I love my Model 3, but the luxury level needs to go up a notch. It's accepted now only because there is no real competiton.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

My original windshield shape-shifted everything in front of me. I discovered it on the first day of driving the car without seeing this thread. I tried to live with it for a few weeks, but it was too distracting. The replacement is clean but still has a slight double-light effect which I can live with. I drove a brand new 100D loaner for a week that had the same ghost lighting effect through the windshield, so I don't think there's any way to get around that issue.

Country
Country
I just picked my car up yesterday, and it has quite a bit of distortion, but they said that it's still in-spec. They showed me another car that was way worse. They said that even if they replace the windshield, the new one might be better or worse than the one I have in my car. They said no glass is perfect and that all cars have this, but I have never seen it before. I don't notice it when driving, though, so I'll just have to wait and see.
That's stupid of them to say: if the windshield has distortion, they can see it before they install it. Furthermore, quality control at the window factory, and if they want, the receiving bay of the transshipment companies, should catch it as well.

Country
Country
Both my new Hyundai Tucson and my old 1999 Dodge Intrepid had a good bit of distortion in the rear window. I never cared enough to ask that they fix them though, but my tolerance might be higher than yours. The windshields in those cars were pretty good - a little bit of noticeable distortion at the edges and corners.

The glass in my 2012 Nissan Leaf is actually really good. In general, windows with a lot of rake are going to suffer from distortion, because when the glass is at an angle, you're having to look through a much thicker portion of glass, which is going to result in more refraction of the light passing through.

Good explainations. I can obviously see that when the thickness varies, then the output offset of the rays will be different depending on the thickness of the glass, so non-uniform thickness glass will cause this. When multiplied by a lot of rake, this could be an issue. To me it is obvious that their glass supplier does not have a manufacturing technique that produces uniform window thickness, but that other manufacturers do.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EDIT: Sorry to create a duplicate thread, mod, I now see that I am not alone.. for some reason when I searched for this I did not find it.

Hello, when I first picked up my Model 3 I noticed that when I'm sitting in the drivers seat and looking to the right front, the view through the windshield is a bit distorted... almost a rippling. Sort of like it's wet. Hard to describe. I ignored it for a couple of months but last week when the Tesla Ranger fixed my signature light I mentioned it to him and he said that he observed it as well. I am going to have it replaced.

Is this a known / frequent issue? It seems like 50% of the time when I read about issues in this forum my car ends up having them.... (maybe I should stop reading the forum?!? :):):))

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed the windshield on my car had a slight distortion as well after one of my co-worker mention he was taking his car in to get it repair for that issue. My distortion is only noticeable from the driver seat when looking at the passenger side of the windshield. At first, it kind of bother me and I mention it to the Tesla when I first took it in for other small repairs. They said it would be a while before they had the additional stocks for replacement, but they would still make a note of it.

When I was driving my loaner car, which was a Toyota Avalon, I notice it had the same windshield distortion issue. I decided to check out mu wife's Prius as well and to my surprise, it had the same thing. It seems like we've been driving the car for 3 years without noticing it. It seems like the windshield distortion is fairly common. Now it doesn't bother me as much.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have noticed some distortion on our BMW but nothing like the rippling larger distortion on my model 3, which is in the shop having its windshield replaced. The Mercedes they gave me as a loaner (yuck!) has zero distortion. I thought it might have been an issue with my polarized sunglasses so I have tried it with and without the glasses. It's definitely there and in my case worse than other cars, hence the replacement.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed today looking through the passenger windshield from the driver's side that there are vertical distortions -- I made a video:

Keep your eye on the bottom of the white car's front windshield for the distortion. I've been driving for 2000+ miles, and noticed intermittently that something was bothering me about the view out the front but didn't nail it down until today.

Based on this thread, it seems that replacement of the windshield may not fix the problem? What do you all think?

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The vertical distortion on the edge is normal for any windshield when looking through it at extreme angles. There’s no way around it. I never noticed it in my 20 year old truck until this discussion.

apljol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, first off, except for the windshield, the car was perfect. I stared at every panel gap, fitment, opened and closed all the doors, trunk, frunk, etc. Had to refuse delivery regardless, however. Take a look at how everything is a bit wavy through the front windshield. And this is the second 3 I've seen do this. On the video, look at the door trim of the silver 3 on the other side of the glass. It's headache inducing while you drive. None of the other glass in the car (including the rear) does this. As far as I can tell, no S or X that I've seen does this. It's totally bizarre. I'm hoping that they change the glass at some point and I can buy later, but it's a real shame not to have one today. :/

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tup32vHroq252QUD3
I have gone through 2 windshields on my Model 3 (owned for 3 months) so far and all have that headache inducing ripple affect. Did you ever arrive at a solution or just waiting for new windshields to come out. The service center thinks i'm nuts but after watching your video that is exactly what I experience. Trying my hardest to not let it annoy me but my head says otherwise. thanks. -Jeff