Front Windshield Distortion

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
So, first off, except for the windshield, the car was perfect. I stared at every panel gap, fitment, opened and closed all the doors, trunk, frunk, etc. Had to refuse delivery regardless, however. Take a look at how everything is a bit wavy through the front windshield. And this is the second 3 I've seen do this. On the video, look at the door trim of the silver 3 on the other side of the glass. It's headache inducing while you drive. None of the other glass in the car (including the rear) does this. As far as I can tell, no S or X that I've seen does this. It's totally bizarre. I'm hoping that they change the glass at some point and I can buy later, but it's a real shame not to have one today. :/

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tup32vHroq252QUD3

Attachments

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny you mention this. I just dropped off my car because of a similar issue on the rear lens, but the guy in the service center mentioned he usually sees this on the front windshield (as in your picture). Tesla will repair/replace it under good will (as they should), assuming they have the windshield available.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
Funny you mention this. I just dropped off my car because of a similar issue on the rear lens, but the guy in the service center mentioned he usually sees this on the front windshield (as in your picture). Tesla will repair/replace it under good will (as they should), assuming they have the windshield available.
Oh wow. Could you PM (or email, pkulak@gmail.com) me who you were talking to, by chance? My car is still at the delivery center, and I'd love it if all it took was a windshield replacement, but no one in Portland seems to have seen this before. Walking out of there without the car was a hell of a bummer.

mxbzz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh wow. Could you PM (or email, pkulak@gmail.com) me who you were talking to, by chance? My car is still at the delivery center, and I'd love it if all it took was a windshield replacement, but no one in Portland seems to have seen this before. Walking out of there without the car was a hell of a bummer.
I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, but this was at the Fremont, CA Service Center. Maybe you could reference that service center, or shoot them an email to see if they can confirm if they've serviced distorted front windshields. Best of luck-- if it requires a replacement, it's likely going to take a few weeks for them to order the replacement, which means a few more weeks without your TM3 :(

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, but this was at the Fremont, CA Service Center. Maybe you could reference that service center, or shoot them an email to see if they can confirm if they've serviced distorted front windshields. Best of luck-- if it requires a replacement, it's likely going to take a few weeks for them to order the replacement, which means a few more weeks without your TM3 :(
Got it; will do for sure. A few weeks is better than never at all.

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
Dang, well, Fremont says they've never heard of it before either. Funny thing is, when I called he knew exactly what I was talking about. I said I had an issue with the front windshield and he interrupted me and said, "Oh, like little horizontal ripples?" Then he put me on hold and came back saying that he couldn't find any examples of it happening before. It kinda feels like they'd rather I just went away so they can sell the car to someone who doesn't mind the distortion, which is valid, I suppose. Guess I'll just wait for the dual motor, or at least check back in right before the tax credits go away.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it was my understanding, if you paid your order deposit, and refused the car they delivered to you, you are back to square one. No?

Phil Kulak

Country
Country
it was my understanding, if you paid your order deposit, and refused the car they delivered to you, you are back to square one. No?
Yeah, pretty much. The car is literally still at the delivery center though; just thought if I could figure out some more info quickly I may still be in luck.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, first off, except for the windshield, the car was perfect. I stared at every panel gap, fitment, opened and closed all the doors, trunk, frunk, etc. Had to refuse delivery regardless, however. Take a look at how everything is a bit wavy through the front windshield. And this is the second 3 I've seen do this. On the video, look at the door trim of the silver 3 on the other side of the glass. It's headache inducing while you drive. None of the other glass in the car (including the rear) does this. As far as I can tell, no S or X that I've seen does this. It's totally bizarre. I'm hoping that they change the glass at some point and I can buy later, but it's a real shame not to have one today. :/

I have the same issue. Everything else is perfect. Even the paint is perfect. One of the top Ceramic Pro installers in the country looked at it today and said it needed very minimal paint correction in a couple small spots. But right in my field of view is a slight ripple effect that makes me wonder if I'm in a dream and am about to wake up carless. (Because that's happened before. A few times.)

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

What VIN range are you in?

PQ3

Country
Country
I'm 141xx and I don't see anything in the front windshield (as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure I see what Phil is pointing out in his original post). But, now that I see all the posts about the rear window distortion, I see a little bit of that near the heating elements, but I didn't really notice it until I read about it and it's really not that bad at all...

Ugh. I’m 141xx. Delivery Monday.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm 141xx and I don't see anything in the front windshield (as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure I see what Phil is pointing out in his original post). But, now that I see all the posts about the rear window distortion, I see a little bit of that near the heating elements, but I didn't really notice it until I read about it and it's really not that bad at all...
Whew...that's a relief. Thanks for easing my mind a little. Btw...I'm 14117.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
x-post from the rear distortion thread:

My windshield is essentially like an Austrian flag of clear/distorted/clear/distorted etc. There are three or four horizontal rows of distortion along the windshield, maybe a couple inches thick. I haven't gotten into the passenger seat to see if they go all the way across but I'm assuming they do. It causes a ghosting effect where there are two of everything. The ghost image is directly above the physical object, maybe about six inches to a foot above said object.

In the daytime, sometimes you won't see the ghost image, but objects will appear distorted like a very subtle fun-house mirror. It's really pronounced at night, where every light has a dimmer version of itself right on top.

The biggest problem is that one of the rows is right in my field of view, so I'm seeing it constantly. I can move my head up or down to change what the distortion affects. If I lean forward and move further up or further down, other rows of distortion can be found. I haven't tried a seat adjustment, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have much of an effect since the viewing angle wouldn't change all that much.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no need to post in both - are you having an issue with the windshield or rear glass?
I mentioned my windshield problem while discussing the details of my rear glass distortion in the rear glass thread. I was asked to elaborate on my windshield issue in that thread, so I did. I copied it to this thread because of its relevance.