Front wheel alignment for TM3: any competent local shop okay?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I figure I need a front wheel alignment on my Model 3 with 32,000 kms on it.

Since the nearest service center is two hours away, I plan on calling my local garage to ask if they can do it.

Has anybody had an alignment done at a local independent shop (yet)?

Thanks.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I figure I need a front wheel alignment on my Model 3 with 32,000 kms on it.
Are your tires wearing funny? Mine's got 41,000 miles on it and feels as straight and true as the day I got it and tires are wearing fine too. I'm not messing with mine unless something seems wrong. That said, eventually, we'll all need similar; do we know the specs on the Model 3??

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There have been reports of the steering rack being self-aligning. But then, there can be more that needs adjusting than just the steering rack. But the self-adjusting rack should take care of most pulling-to-the-side issues.

After my steering rack was replaced recently (due to some other problem). Tesla employee told that the current version of steering racks have self-adjusting alignment. so I doubt anyone need manual alignment for their M3s

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks for all the inputs.

There is no abnormal wear (yet).

However, since last Thursday (when I arrived in the Detroit area enroute to Bowling Green KY), that when left to it own devices, the car now has a mild bias to the right.

I called my local shop and they do NOT have access to the alignment specifications.

So, in the short term, I'll monitor tire wear.

Sidebar ref tire wear I am seeing:

I am down to 5.5/32" on the outside edge and center of all four tires and down to 5/32" on the inside edge of all four tires.

Based on my rotation habits, I surmise this slightly increased wear on the inside edge is occurring when the tires are on the rear of the car (LR RWD).

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
However, since last Thursday (when I arrived in the Detroit area enroute to Bowling Green KY), that when left to it own devices, the car now has a mild bias to the right.
Michigan roads claim your alignment already?

I called my local shop and they do NOT have access to the alignment specifications.
You could stop at the Toledo, OH service center on your way down.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Michigan roads claim your alignment already?

You could stop at the Toledo, OH service center on your way down.
I think it did happen in Detroit!

As for the Toledo suggestion, I'm back home in eastern Ontario now :p

As of right now: my local shop does not have the specifications, but Tesla (Lawrence Ave) told me that the shop can get the specs (Tesla will not give them to me to give to the shop).

I've told my local shop owner to contact Tesla about this.

Who knows........

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Update: @P-Lo801 has provided me with the correct specs. Thanks!

screenshot_2019-07-08-16-06-32-png.28198

I sent this screen shot to Tesla (Lawrence Ave) and they have confirmed these are the correct alignment specs for my car:

capture-png.28199

Finally, with advice from jabnlab (Reddit), I rotated the front tires and it "seems" to have settled things down for now.

I'll monitor the wear on the tires and update this thread as required.