Front underbody aero piece came off on highway

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but about 1/2 of the front underbody aero cover came off my car while driving home on the highway today. Thankfully, it did not hit anyone behind me or cause any accidents. I haven't scrapped the underbody on anything, but what's left is waterlogged, likely from the recent rain/sleet/snow and water on the roads from snow melt. It's part #4 in the parts diagram below. With any luck the service center gets the part prior to my appt.
screen-shot-2019-03-15-at-4-56-53-pm-png.23355

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know yet, but I'm guessing I'll end up having to pay. My appt is next Friday I'll post afterwards.

AndrewF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar experience with the mid aero shield, behind the battery. The leading edge of the shield started to separate from the vehicle and was hanging down. Visited the Lawrence SC on Jan 25th and they temporarily secured it using some zip ties, and ordered a new one. Part hasn't come in yet and in the mean time, a chuck of it started to fall off and I had to tear the piece off. Still waiting for the part, but they've said it will be warranty.

Was back at Lawrence March 1, due to a clunking noise in the front end when going over bumpy roads. Turned out to be an accumulation of snow and ice on top of the front aero shield. They gave me a rental for the day at no charge and cleaned out the snow and ice. No charge for the service.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just found myself musing about various things: 1) removing these fairings for winter, 2) adding a layer of fiberglass to them, 3) making a version out of aluminum sheet, 4) adding baffles to decrease ingress of snow and sand, 5) adding holes and slots to improve drainage and shed sand, 6) encouraging the SEC to sentence Musk to three months in Buffalo.

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar experience with the mid aero shield, behind the battery. The leading edge of the shield started to separate from the vehicle and was hanging down. Visited the Lawrence SC on Jan 25th and they temporarily secured it using some zip ties, and ordered a new one. Part hasn't come in yet and in the mean time, a chuck of it started to fall off and I had to tear the piece off. Still waiting for the part, but they've said it will be warranty.

Was back at Lawrence March 1, due to a clunking noise in the front end when going over bumpy roads. Turned out to be an accumulation of snow and ice on top of the front aero shield. They gave me a rental for the day at no charge and cleaned out the snow and ice. No charge for the service.
You're coming up on two months since your SC visit. Good to hear they are going to cover it. Any expectation set on when they expect the part?

AndrewF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You're coming up on two months since your SC visit. Good to hear they are going to cover it. Any expectation set on when they expect the part?
I asked when I was in for another issue March 1st (snow and ice in top of the front aero shield) and they didn't have an answer as to delivery. I plan on following up this week.

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Appt was Friday. I arrived 15 min early and they were ready, taking the car in immediately and indicating they had the parts on hand. No damage underneath, but it does look like something did hit the cover due to scrape on what remains. New cover was put in place and they did a tech bulletin service on frunk latch. Cover not covered under warranty and cost a bit over $300 to replace. No argument from me given the scrape. Very pleased they had everything in stock and the repair was done quickly while I waited (about 40min total).

Last edited:

dbello70

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you all for posting about this issue here and other forums. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB # SB-19-12-001 that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain.

Attachments