Front trunk/frunk stuck

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today I went to open the frunk to get my laptop out before I had to leave, and I heard the latch release, but the hood was flush with the car still. The screen showed the frunk open. I opened the app, and it also showed it open. I hit it again just in case and I hear the little motor spin, but the frunk is still closed.

I did a soft reboot, nothing
I did a hard reboot, nothing
I tried the battery trick on the front bumper tow hitch hole, nothing

Putting it in drive brings up a big warning about driving with the front trunk open

I powered down the car, and when it powers back up, it says the frunk is closed, but when I hit the button it says it's open, but it's still flush with the car.

I tried using credit cards to pry gently upward and the frunk is definitely latched.

Tesla says mobile service can get here in 24-48 hours. I'm 3 hours from service center, so driving it in in the middle of the week isn't exactly an option.

Meanwhile, my laptop is in the frunk still.... awesome.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today I went to open the frunk to get my laptop out before I had to leave, and I heard the latch release, but the hood was flush with the car still. The screen showed the frunk open. I opened the app, and it also showed it open. I hit it again just in case and I hear the little motor spin, but the frunk is still closed.

I did a soft reboot, nothing
I did a hard reboot, nothing
I tried the battery trick on the front bumper tow hitch hole, nothing

Putting it in drive brings up a big warning about driving with the front trunk open

I powered down the car, and when it powers back up, it says the frunk is closed, but when I hit the button it says it's open, but it's still flush with the car.

I tried using credit cards to pry gently upward and the frunk is definitely latched.

Tesla says mobile service can get here in 24-48 hours. I'm 3 hours from service center, so driving it in in the middle of the week isn't exactly an option.

Meanwhile, my laptop is in the frunk still.... awesome.
Eep that sucks. :( Wonder if you can possibly wiggle the latch free by having someone press down on the hood while you trigger the frunk open button? Just be gentle and try to press right on top of the Tesla badge as that is where the latch mechanism is and should be relatively solid.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I definitely wouldn’t drive it with your frunk not being latched it could pop open on the road.
I'm almost certain it's actually latched. If I power down the car completely and wait a minute, then power back up, it shows it as closed again. Then when I hit the button, the motor under the hood makes a sound, it shows as open, but it's still completely closed.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe the car is jealous of your laptop so it ate it, lol. I'd also try putting a little pressure on it while attempting to open. It might just be something binding it enough to prevent to from moving the little bit it needs, also try slight upward pressure if you can if downward doesn't work. Sorry to hear you're having the problem though, it's one area that the latch must work or there is no other way to gain access.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just noticed that if I lock the car from the app I can hear the latch close back and the app shows that it’s closed. Listening closely when I tap unlock I can hear the latch open. The hood doesn’t move at all though, not even a millimeter.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like the latch is not binding but the actual hood or maybe hinge point is binding somewhere and not allowing it to "pop" up once released. Another possibility is the spring that makes it pop is broken. I'm curious as to how the ranger will gain access and fix the issue, please let us know. Until then I really need the popcorn emoji because, well because this is a good place for one:)

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd try and have someone gently pull / pry the hood upward as you trigger the release.
Yep, tried that with a plastic ply tool and a towel to protect the bumper. The hood doesn't move at all.

Sounds like the latch is not binding but the actual hood or maybe hinge point is binding somewhere and not allowing it to "pop" up once released. Another possibility is the spring that makes it pop is broken. I'm curious as to how the ranger will gain access and fix the issue, please let us know. Until then I really need the popcorn emoji because, well because this is a good place for one:)
I have no idea. One person on the phone said after putting me on hold that there is a way to do it that he's not supposed to tell customers, and said it involves high voltage and taking parts off? Who knows.

I've got a loaner Model X coming tomorrow morning so they can take my car back to Charlotte to replace the rear glass. They're going to try to open the frunk before they take it just so I can get my laptop, but they said more than likely the latch is faulty and needs to be replaced.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, tried that with a plastic ply tool and a towel to protect the bumper. The hood doesn't move at all.

I have no idea. One person on the phone said after putting me on hold that there is a way to do it that he's not supposed to tell customers, and said it involves high voltage and taking parts off? Who knows.

I've got a loaner Model X coming tomorrow morning so they can take my car back to Charlotte to replace the rear glass. They're going to try to open the frunk before they take it just so I can get my laptop, but they said more than likely the latch is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Interesting, maybe they are sending this guy.....bet he could open it......
high-voltage-jpg.7864

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@McHoffa

Curious. What happened?
They called me right after they got it open (which requires taking off the front bumper, etc to get to the manual release) and said it was working normally again.

They gave me the option of getting my car back, and if it got stuck again they'd send a ranger out to replace it, or just go ahead and replace it (they already ordered the parts). I chose to go ahead and replace (and enjoy the P85D for a couple more days). They got one part FedEx next day but for some reason it took all week to get the other one so I ended up with the loaner for 10 days.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Model 3 is 6 days old. Today the same thing happened to my FRUNK and it will not open. In addition, I am also getting a message that the charge port door needs to be serviced and to call TESLA.

I called service and they promised to have a TECH call me back and make an appointment. That was 8 hours ago.

This does not bode well for TESLA being a reliable car. I wonder why they cannot at least return a phone call in 8 hours. Over worked?

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s probablt more efficient if you schedule a service appt. online. At least you have a day to come in, and when the tech eventually does call you can just tell them the issues and have it noted before the appt.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in Cape Coral/Fort Myers Florida. The nearest service center is in Tampa which is 128 miles away. The service department also told me that they would deal with these issues with a mobile service call and would have the technician call within a few hours. That was yesterday.

How reliable can TESLA cars be if I have had two issues in the first six days? The FRUNK will not open and I have a message telling me that the charge port door needs to be serviced and call TESLA.

I have owned cars for 40 years of my life, most of them high end cars. This is the worst "out of box" issues I have ever had and the response has been less then overwhelming. You would think at a bare minimum they could get the "response" part correct.

Chevy has their act together better than TESLA.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in Cape Coral/Fort Myers Florida. The nearest service center is in Tampa which is 128 miles away. The service department also told me that they would deal with these issues with a mobile service call and would have the technician call within a few hours. That was yesterday.

How reliable can TESLA cars be if I have had two issues in the first six days? The FRUNK will not open and I have a message telling me that the charge port door needs to be serviced and call TESLA.

I have owned cars for 40 years of my life, most of them high end cars. This is the worst "out of box" issues I have ever had and the response has been less then overwhelming. You would think at a bare minimum they could get the "response" part correct.

Remember you’re still early days on a car and car manufacturer in general. We can and should expect a lot, but perfection will be a lot to ask for.

The good news — most issues can and will be resolved via over the air updates and mobilized service at least means when you have issues there is the convenience of service coming to you.

The bad news — if you have an issue that makes the car inoperable, it would likely be a slower fix than a competitive brand (mostly due to parts availability).

This will all get better over time. In my personal situation I see it as a small price to pay for early adoption!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

Tesla is a new company and these are growing pains for them. Their service is understaffed and there are basic issues that they are learning that the older car companies already do very well.

Buyers of a brand new model car from a new car company generally are aware to expect some of these issues or else they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Most of us still buy the Tesla despite this because it is a completely revolutionary car from a different kind of car company. Tesla is selling us something that is unlike anything else available and will make other cars and car companies obsolete. There are customers that can't accept the mistakes that Tesla makes and are frustrated easily. They are used to being pampered by the impeccable service of the older generation of car companies that give great service. But they don't sell Teslas.

See my old thread on Tesla for Better or Worse. https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...kind-of-car-company-for-better-or-worse.4578/