Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Front License Retractable Bracket?

10K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  OlBlum 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted on the forum. Randomly, a question popped up in my head. I was wondering if it is possible to put on a retractable bracket on any of the Tesla models. I was searching online and found no tesla owner that has done it. In California, it's required to have a front license plate and I certainly do not want holes in the car. There are other methods such as magnets and stuff but I wonder if the motorized retractable bracket would work.

Here's what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=v6Vjs_9SNA4

Thanks,
Jaspal

#10 ·
Hi guys.

Interesting topic for me. I noticed the "flaw" on the Model S right away. I couldn't afford one, but I managed to borrowed one early on for this exact reason... to design a slick retractable plate holder (I design automotive electronics and figured I could pull it off). The problem was the physical space required, and there wasn't the room. At least not to do it my way.

"My way" was this: I wanted it completely invisible and housed in the interior of the car when not in use. That was important for me because the car can ride very low and I didn't want to introduce unnecessary drag. So my idea was to replace the plastic nose cone (from that generation, of course) with one that had a small slot for the plate to pop out and flip down. I left that up to the fab guys while I worked on the electronics. I needed to "tap into" the car's speed sensors because I wanted it to auto-retract at highway speeds where drag becomes an issue, and then auto-advance when at lower speeds. That way, you don't have to remember to engage it when the cops are an issue :) I managed to get the speed data and even worked out a way to manually engage it without having to install any buttons (although it was a bit awkward but I could have improved it). The mechanism worked... but there was no way for the fabrication guys to fit it in the cavity available.

So I put it on hold, waiting for the M3. When that was announced, and I saw they still didn't have a nice place for a plate... well, fingers crossed :)

#24 ·
When I first got my S, I wanted a better way to mount the front plate. Steven, I had the same idea as you, but without the electronics. I contacted EVAnnex and several other nosecone manufacturers and pitched the idea. I wasn't even trying to get anything for the idea. Just wanted to buy one. No one has been interested. And now that there's refreshed front that doesn't use a nosecone, I think our chances are less.

#18 · (Edited)
The DMV's reasoning of two license plates is this (California);

CA Code 5200.

"(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5."

CA Code 4850.5

"(a) Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 4850 and Section 5200, the department, upon registering a truck tractor, shall issue to the owner one suitable license plate or other device which identifies the vehicle for which it is issued and for the period of its validity.  The license plate or other device shall be attached to the front of the vehicle.

(b) This section shall become operative only when and if the Department of the California Highway Patrol implements a program which requires identifying numbers on the right and left sides of truck tractors."

#13 ·
Yeah, of course.

It is also required to drive under the speed limit at all times too, but every car manufacturer makes a car that can go faster than any speed limit in existence.

We all make choices every day that are contrary to the letter of the law. And some of us do it for environmental reasons. For example, I do a rolling stop through certain stop signs in my neighborhood every single day because I know it is safe and it uses less gas to yield than it does to stop and start a massive hunk of metal. If a police officer is right there, I guess I wouldn't (although one lives in the house directly beside the one I'm thinking about right now lol).

Similarly, I would risk breaking the license plate law at highway speeds because I'd prefer not to increase drag and reduce efficiency because of - what I deem to be - a silly law.

#14 ·
For me, the primary issue is to avoid putting holes in my car, not about hiding the plate. There needs to be something similar to EVannex' Model S bracket that can be attached without drilling new holes.

Reactions: Jaspal
#15 ·
Forgive my misunderstanding, but if you're not concerned about the permanent installation of the plate (for appearance and/or performance/efficiency reasons) then what do the holes matter? The plate covers the holes.

I guess what I'm asking is... if the holes were pre-drilled at the factory, you'd be OK with that?

#16 ·
I guess I don't like the idea of altering something that was designed to look a certain way. With governments changing rules on a whim, the day might come when we (in Ontario) won't have to affix a front plate. If Tesla pre-drills holes, I'll use them but I would prefer brackets.

Reactions: Jaspal
#17 ·
In the "old days" there wasn't even a way to mount a front plate on the car -- the holes weren't drilled and they sort of discouraged you from putting on the plate (even though required in my state). With the new front end, I've noticed EVERY Model S has a plate spot with holes pre-existing so I think they've changed their tune/style on this. To be far the plate looks better on the newer front end then the awkward placement on the old front ends.

#25 ·
Jaspal, to answer your question, yes, I have installed the Show n Go on my Model S. Actually two. I used the manual version. Yes, the electric is slick, but reviews that I read said that in a short time, water, dirt and mud from the road would gum up the motor and before long it would fail. I used the manual version. But more than once when I pulled to close to a curb, I ripped the entire mount off the front of my car (I had it folded down under the car nearly all the time.) I tore it off three or four times. And had to buy a second one because eventually I damaged the first one too much. When I sold my first Model S, and bought my second Model S, I decided to just run without the plate on the car. Three years now and I've not be stopped once or ticketed.
Jaspal, to answer your question, yes, I have installed the Show-n-Go on my Model S. Actually two. I used the manual version. Yes, the electric is slick, but reviews that I read said that in a short time, water, dirt and mud from the road would gum up the motor and before long it would fail. I used the manual version. But more than once when I pulled to close to a curb, I ripped the entire mount off the front of my car (I had it folded down under the car nearly all the time.) I tore it off three or four times. And had to buy a second one because eventually I damaged the first one too much. When I sold my first Model S, and bought my second Model S, I decided to just run without the plate on the car. Three years now and I've not be stopped once or ticketed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.