Front Bumper Scuff Question

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DIY method, get some 600 grit wet sandpaper to get the red colour out and then use rubbing compound. not perfect but you won't really notice that area too much.

I'm in no way a expert in prep work so if someone is please reply

RoccoX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have used a magic eraser as well for scuffs with great results, not sure on a Tesla though

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hey all, sorry about the delay. I actually haven't done much to it yet as ive been really busy. The scratch is pretty low on the car so somewhat hard to see unless your looking for it. might try clay bar and then Tesla's pain touch up kit.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just wanted to update anyone, went to service center for unrelated issue and asked them about the best way to handle the scuff. They adamantly recommended AGAINST using the touch up paint. They said for anything bigger than a small rock chip it will actually look a lot worse. Recommended just living with it and eventually getting the front bumper repainted one day.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the update - had you tried something less invasive, like clay bar or gentle buffing, to see if any of that paint transfer could be minimized? It's probable that you can't make it look like it never happened (short of repainting) but I'd imagine you could make it less noticeable. Of course, that's just based on the photo, so I may be off base, if its worse than it looks.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have said I would try to buff that out with scratch remover, polishing compound or as a last resort rubbing compound.

Also a mobile repair guy could probably fix that area without having to repaint the entire bumper. I have used them in the past and they can achieve great color match

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah, ive been quite busy, but will probably try a clay bar when I get the chance. Its honestly not that visible, so it hasn't been a major priority.

Gen Nagh

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
i had a similar thing and so planning to take it to tesla, any idea on how much would it cost?

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i had a similar thing and so planning to take it to tesla, any idea on how much would it cost?
Tesla won't do a repair; they'll direct you to a local certified body shop.

I had a scrape, small ding and a group of clear coat scratches, though they were on the rear bumper. The repair was several hundred, and it was smaller than this appears to be, so that's probably a good baseline of what to expect.

CuriousGeorge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check to see if a replacement bumper Comes painted. Someone in YouTube ordered the rear bumper and it came fully painted. Remove and replace for around $500-$600 if you decide to get it fixed.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Check to see if a replacement bumper Comes painted. Someone in YouTube ordered the rear bumper and it came fully painted. Remove and replace for around $500-$600 if you decide to get it fixed.
This is generally not an option. I saw the same video and even contacted the SC to inquire about a painted bumper cover. They said they do not come painted.

So perhaps the occasional case will pop up where this happens. However, this is not normal and would be the exception, not the rule.