Front brakes make clonking sound when braking

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

HNMAK

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
This seems to come and go but it appears to happen when the car is cold. When I attempt to make a full stop, one of the front brakes makes a very audible clonk (it sounds like a metal tool falling on concrete). I can't seem to find other threads or other people experiencing this issue but I am going to let the Tesla ranger know about it when he comes to do some touchups this week. It would be very odd if this was normal as I have not experienced this sort of issue with any other car before. Has anyone else heard of this before?

Thanks!

_Travis_

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have not heard that. I did hear a grinding sound coming from the brakes when I stopped at stop lights for the first few weeks. It sounded like scraping an object across concrete, but it was a smooth and continuous scraping. I attributed that to breaking in the new brake pads with no engine noise to cover it up. I haven't heard anything that sounded like a single large collision, and certainly nothing that's asymmetrical. Good luck.

HNMAK

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I have not heard that. I did hear a grinding sound coming from the brakes when I stopped at stop lights for the first few weeks. It sounded like scraping an object across concrete, but it was a smooth and continuous scraping. I attributed that to breaking in the new brake pads with no engine noise to cover it up. I haven't heard anything that sounded like a single large collision, and certainly nothing that's asymmetrical. Good luck.
Yeah that sound is pretty normal because there is no engine sound and the car is very quite you get to hear a lot of the mechanisms working in the car. The issue I am having does not seem to be normal and I will update this post once the ranger -I hope- checks the brakes for any abnormalities.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is it the right brake?

The Rich Rebuilds guy recently posted a video where he set about fixing a few problems with his rebuilt S. The most serious was a clunk during braking that he thought was in his suspension.

It turned out to be his J1772 adaptor rolling around in his glovebox.

atod

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Clunking sound from the brakes in general ( if it is from the brakes) can be due to the anti-rattle pin missing/improperly inserted in between the caliper and pad. this is a common issue with all cars.
I just dont know if it is the case for you so i thought i'd mention it.
If you are missing the anti rattle pin ( or it is inserted improperly) it can feel as if the car is falling apart at times due to the pads rattling against the caliper and the disk )

Reactions: 1 person

simpsonhomer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have this clunking problem, too. It's intermittent and I only notice it when I gently apply the brakes as the car is about to stop completely. I never hear it when I brake at higher than single-digit speeds. It's almost like something is getting unstuck—if I brake moderately, it's almost like the brake un-sticks itself for a while and I won't hear the noise for a few more stops. It doesn't affect braking at all, although I swear sometimes I can feel some tiny vibration when it clunks (sort of like a click in my case).

The other odd thing I noticed (and this could be pure coincidence) is that I didn't hear the noise for 1-2 weeks after each software upgrade. There were times when I actually thought it was a software/calibration issue because it completely went away for so long.

HNMAK

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Clunking sound from the brakes in general ( if it is from the brakes) can be due to the anti-rattle pin missing/improperly inserted in between the caliper and pad. this is a common issue with all cars.
I just dont know if it is the case for you so i thought i'd mention it.
If you are missing the anti rattle pin ( or it is inserted improperly) it can feel as if the car is falling apart at times due to the pads rattling against the caliper and the disk )
I will mention this to the ranger, it does not sound normal at all, and it usually only happens at very low speeds especially when I am at a stop and about to reverse from the garage or pulling into the garage.

HNMAK

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I have this clunking problem, too. It's intermittent and I only notice it when I gently apply the brakes as the car is about to stop completely. I never hear it when I brake at higher than single-digit speeds. It's almost like something is getting unstuck—if I brake moderately, it's almost like the brake un-sticks itself for a while and I won't hear the noise for a few more stops. It doesn't affect braking at all, although I swear sometimes I can feel some tiny vibration when it clunks (sort of like a click in my case).

The other odd thing I noticed (and this could be pure coincidence) is that I didn't hear the noise for 1-2 weeks after each software upgrade. There were times when I actually thought it was a software/calibration issue because it completely went away for so long.
This sounds similar to what I am experiencing but the sound is becoming much louder now.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.