Question Freeway stall

42n8 one

Country
Country
We got our Tesla 3 three weeks ago and LOVE it. We’ve already driven it up the California coast to Carmel and Santa Cruz, and it worked great.
One of the reasons we got it is because friends of ours have had a Tesla S for a couple of years and also love their car.
So it was shocking to get a call last night from our friend who was driving her S home on the 101 freeway when without warning her car just turned off. The words CAR OFF appeared on her screen before it went completely blank and the AC turned off. She was in the middle lane of the 101 freeway, in traffic, going 60 mph. Terrified, she didn’t know what to do. She had the presence of mind to take a picture of the screen with her phone, then, as suddenly as the car had turned off it turned back on.
Luckily this ended well, but it could have been disastrous.
I’m wondering if anyone reading this has experienced anything similar, and what Tesla had to say about it. Thanks, and be careful out there.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We got our Tesla 3 three weeks ago and LOVE it. We’ve already driven it up the California coast to Carmel and Santa Cruz, and it worked great.
One of the reasons we got it is because friends of ours have had a Tesla S for a couple of years and also love their car.
So it was shocking to get a call last night from our friend who was driving her S home on the 101 freeway when without warning her car just turned off. The words CAR OFF appeared on her screen before it went completely blank and the AC turned off. She was in the middle lane of the 101 freeway, in traffic, going 60 mph. Terrified, she didn’t know what to do. She had the presence of mind to take a picture of the screen with her phone, then, as suddenly as the car had turned off it turned back on.
Luckily this ended well, but it could have been disastrous.
I’m wondering if anyone reading this has experienced anything similar, and what Tesla had to say about it. Thanks, and be careful out there.
Reading the forums, it happens. Sometimes it seems to disappear, sometimes it needs some repair. It is just like any car, they aren't 100% reliable.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've never seen the "CAR OFF" message, but I have had the display/music/AC turn off in the middle of a drive. That's just an MCU crash, it reboots after about a minute and returns to normal. It probably looks a lot scarier in a Model S because the binnacle display also turns off. It's not really hazardous, just really annoying.

It's considerably more annoying when it freezes instead - the music stops, but the AC keeps going, and the display looks like it's working fine, but doesn't respond to touches and your speed doesn't change. Then you need to do the hold both scroll wheels reset procedure, which isn't easy going at highway speeds.

What's really important is that an MCU crash shouldn't stop the car from driving normally, except for the lack of a display. It the traction motor(s) shut off during the drive as well (you would notice that, because the car would start slowing abruptly), then you have a real problem that Service should deal with immediately.

• Agree
Reactions: MelindaV and garsh

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have had this symptom in my 3AWD. Screen went blank, turn signals did not show or make sounds, sound stopped (don't recall if AC was on at time - also on fwy at speed. Car was still driving. The Tesla "T" showed up on screen so I knew it was restarting. AP/TACC were still working. 20-30 seconds and it came back, although it had forgotten the Nav destination. I have also seen instances where the screen would freeze and I would need to do a two-finger reset while still driving.

We lived through it.

Reactions: 42n8 one

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@42n8 one, it is truly an unnerving experience if the screen(s) go blank while driving. It has happened to me dozens and dozens of times on my 2017 model X, with MCU1. It has happened exactly one time on my model 3 (with MCU2) and one time on my model X since it got the MCU2 upgrade. The car continues to drive, keeping things like autopilot on (if it was on when the MCU crashed) but turning off the radio and a/c. It is a loss of instrumentation event for the driver, but the brake and accelerator still work. The MCU reboots itself within a few minutes.

The only thing different is your friend reporting that it said Car Off. I have never heard of that. Did her car continue to move, or did it lose power? It’s sounding like the car must have still been operational as she had time to take a picture. Otherwise I think she would be occupied with getting to the side of the road.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yea, ‘car off’ is way different then the screen resetting. That picture is needed to confirm.

Not necessarily. It might just be the last thing the MCU displays on a Model S when it's restarting.

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you are correct, that would be a poor choice of words as the car is not turning off. I would really like to see that picture and those words. I am wondering if it said something … but not that. But in the rush of things it was interpreted as the car turning off.

hoping the fortunate one can reply @42n8 one

Maxpilot

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I have had the MCU reboot 3 times on my 2020 Model S. All 3 times I was using the browser. Twice while supercharging and once on the highway while trying to pull up weather in a browser. There is a major bug in the browser software. I don't use the browser in my Model S anymore.