Free Tire rotation

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

rider90190

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Whats the highest Miles it could go upto to cover Complimentary 1st tire rotation for free? (6000miles to ????miles)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a LR RWD. I made a service appointment for my first tire rotation at 7500 miles. There was no mention of a complimentary first rotation. I was charged $97 dollars. Well, not actually charged because the service technician who drove to my location said that the tires did not need to be rotated (there was less than the 2/32nds differential between front and back). I am curious to know where the idea of it being complimentary comes from.

bradkeller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I've never heard of any free tire rotation, nor did I receive any discounts when I got my tires rotated. If I remember correctly, it was also around $100.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you both use a Mobile Ranger or the Service Center? The Mobile Ranger did a tire rotation for $87 about 6 months ago. Only slightly more expensive than the tire place, but cheaper than hiring a defense lawyer after I have to murder 2 of the tire store employees.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Whats the highest Miles it could go upto to cover Complimentary 1st tire rotation for free? (6000miles to ????miles)
First time I had my tires rotated, it was at 7,500 miles. At that time, rotation at a SC was free - Jan 2019. I went back in June for another tire rotation, it was no longer free and they were charging $98.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First time I had my tires rotated, it was at 7,500 miles. At that time, rotation at a SC was free - Jan 2019. I went back in June for another tire rotation, it was no longer free and they were charging $98.
consider your 1st (free) rotation luck.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a LR RWD. I made a service appointment for my first tire rotation at 7500 miles. There was no mention of a complimentary first rotation. I was charged $97 dollars. Well, not actually charged because the service technician who drove to my location said that the tires did not need to be rotated (there was less than the 2/32nds differential between front and back). I am curious to know where the idea of it being complimentary comes from.

Because it seems it used to be, for me back in the 'good old days' of 2018 .. but it seemingly was a random policy..

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I've never heard of any free tire rotation, nor did I receive any discounts when I got my tires rotated. If I remember correctly, it was also around $100.
Gasp!!! Tire rotation from your local tire shop should run $15-20. Just make sure you have jack pad pucks.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At 6500 miles, I had my first tire rotation at the SC and it was free.
I am at 12,500 miles and they said it is now $87.
While at the SC, they checked my tires.
Rears have 5mm remaining, front have 4.5mm.
Said I should save my money and not bother rotating since I have LR RWD and the rear will wear faster.

Considering new tires are 8mm of tread, I am not too unhappy at the Michelin wear, should beat 20K miles down to 2mm or 2/32 of an inch.
However the rep said Tesla recommends replacing when below 4mm. I said how can that be, tire OEMs state about 2mm or 2/32?
Of course local safety conditions can guide your judgement accordingly.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine was free as well back in July 2018. I think there was a time when the first one was on the house and, maybe, only at certain Service Centers (like Saint Louis)?

Here's the details from my receipt:

Concern: #VSC [Ludi] Customer: Complete a tire rotation
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service
Corrections: Tire Rotation
Performed tire rotation per customer request

I'll have to ask around at our next gathering July 20th at the service center and see if free 1st tire rotations are still "a thing".

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@13,000 miles, I had 5/32 on the front and 3/32 in the rears. Never had a rotation. Tires wore out pretty fast. Replaced them all to start fresh with Michelin Sport 4S rubber. They grub way better than the stock continentals, plus look better because the rubber sticks out slightly further than the rim.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At 8,000mi, my P3D+ had even tire wear (9/32).. opted to have them rotated by Tesla service center, paid $77.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
However the rep said Tesla recommends replacing when below 4mm. I said how can that be, tire OEMs state about 2mm or 2/32?
Most states specify a MINIMUM of 2/3"2 tread depth (in any two adjacent grooves) to still be street legal.

ALL tire retailers will specify a higher/larger depth for replacement - especially in wet road locations. Unless they see you every week.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most states specify a MINIMUM of 2/3"2 tread depth (in any two adjacent grooves) to still be street legal.

ALL tire retailers will specify a higher/larger depth for replacement - especially in wet road locations. Unless they see you every week.
The tire manufacturers won't honor the warranty until 2/32. So if you have a 50,000 mile warranty and want to change at something more than 2/32, its 100% out of pocket. If a tire retailer will honor the warranty when greater than 2/32, then count me in.

Yes more tread is better. 4mm is better than 2mm. 5mm better than 4mm. But we all have economic trade offs. But the retailers and OEMs stand firm that down to 2/32 is where they draw the line.