Free supercharging when buying older used Teslas

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Big Blue

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Reading that used cars from Tesla are being wiped of free supercharging for life that follows the car. These are cars delivered before April of 17. I have narrowed to three model s that are in the short window to have AP2 and delivered before the original April 17 cutoff. I wouldn't use it much, but it is a good perk for the long trips.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Reading that used cars from Tesla are being wiped of free supercharging for life that follows the car. These are cars delivered before April of 17. I have narrowed to three model s that are in the short window to have AP2 and delivered before the original April 17 cutoff. I wouldn't use it much, but it is a good perk for the long trips.
So are you saying that once someone has traded these cars back to Tesla and Tesla resells them, Tesla is no longer allowing the free supercharging to be permanently stuck to that car? That seems within their right to change that once the car belongs to them again. Or are you saying that in the private sale of a car that Tesla is not allowing the transfer of free supercharging?

I view free supercharging as a good perk for long trips, and as I travel a lot in my X, I am glad to have it. But if you don’t think you would use it much, why search for a car with that feature? I’m presuming you must be interested only in a private sale, since all used (and new) model S and X’s sold by Tesla currently have free unlimited supercharging but the supercharging perk doesn’t follow a future transfer of ownership.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've updated the title to be more descriptive of the post.
Reading that used cars from Tesla are being wiped of free supercharging for life that follows the car. These are cars delivered before April of 17.
If Tesla is not involved in the sale and/or purchase of the used vehicle, then the free lifetime supercharging remains with the car.

If it's Tesla themselves selling the used car, then as @Bigriver says, they're free to change that as they wish. Taking a look at Tesla's current used inventory, I still see a mix of cars both with and without free supercharging (currently, I see three 2016 models with).

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In 30,000 miles of my Model 3, the vast majority of it on trips (my commute to office is 6 feet), I've used about $300 of Supercharging costs.

Big Blue

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So are you saying that once someone has traded these cars back to Tesla and Tesla resells them, Tesla is no longer allowing the free supercharging to be permanently stuck to that car? That seems within their right to change that once the car belongs to them again. Or are you saying that in the private sale of a car that Tesla is not allowing the transfer of free supercharging?

I view free supercharging as a good perk for long trips, and as I travel a lot in my X, I am glad to have it. But if you don’t think you would use it much, why search for a car with that feature? I’m presuming you must be interested only in a private sale, since all used (and new) model S and X’s sold by Tesla currently have free unlimited supercharging but the supercharging perk doesn’t follow a future transfer of ownership.

I am only looking at used direct from Tesla to get the additional 4/50,000 warranty firstly. And also one made on or after 11/16 in order the have the AP2 cameras. I was trying to also be prior to an in-service date of April 15, 2017 when they removed the FUSC. So basically the 5 month window of Nov16 to Mar17. I agree, most of my charging will be at home and the free SC is not a deal breaker as i would only use a SC on trips to the City or vacation trips, not a huge number, but the perk would be great. My desire for warranty, AP2, and a MCU2 will govern the search.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Off topic slightly... @garsh did you keep FUSC or did you take the $5K?
I took the $5k.
Quick math says that $5k will buy about 75,000 miles worth of supercharging. That's hard to do unless you perform all of your charging at superchargers. So financially, it makes sense to take the money.
That also means that every time I get a Tesla referral, the 1000 miles of free supercharging that I earn is actually a useful perk.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took the $5k.

That also means that every time I get a Tesla referral, the 1000 miles of free supercharging that I earn is actually a useful perk.
@garsh , I just finished reviewing that thread from April about the $5k refund. I refused the refund and stated back then that is was an emotional decision, but a bad financial decision(as you also stated back then). After 15 months of ownership, I've used 30k miles of free supercharging or 2000 miles per month. At this pace(and I expect to continue), I'll surpass your 75k miles estimate after just over 3 years. So maybe my bad financial decision worked out.

Interestingly, I don't think I would have done near as much travel without free supercharging. This perk has, unexpectedly, encouraged me to get out and see the USA. For me this has been an unplanned and wonderful side-effect of Tesla ownership!

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interestingly, I don't think I would have done near as much travel without free supercharging. This perk has, unexpectedly, encouraged me to get out and see the USA. For me this has been an unplanned and wonderful side-effect of Tesla ownership!
That's pretty awesome! :)