Free long range battery?

JoeP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here I am charging my Model 3 yesterday at the Dublin (not-so)-Supercharger and a model S parks next to me and the owner walks over. She asks me about the 3, and tells me she has a reservation and has to decide if she wants to take a long range car *for the same price* as the car she reserved (a base model). Yes, that's a 7K savings. Apparently Tesla called her a few days ago and *had some cars* that she could choose from if she wanted immediate delivery. The "cars they had" were all Extended Range (but not dual motor) cars.

Anyone heard anything like this out there? I was pretty shocked. Thats a lot of discount.

btw the "not-so" supercharger comment is about Dublin. I couldnt get more than 37KW out of the supercharger despite showing up at a 66% SOC. Apparently this is well known by people who operate Teslas in the area. I had never been to that location before (its a Tesla service location which has a colocated Supercharger). I noticed my car connected to "Tesla Service" automatically while i was charging.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Demo cars, Tesla is unloading a lot of demo cars at a discount.

Also location matters, you're in CA I see. Tesla is definitely trying to sell as many cars as they can possibly deliver by tomorrow. They can deliver to people in California, but not those out of state with such short notice.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing I wouldn't be the only one, but if it's a new car and they will discount it $9K for delivery this year, take this post as my signature on the contract and sign me up. However, I'm in TX, so I can't imagine the hoops it would take.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here I am charging my Model 3 yesterday at the Dublin (not-so)-Supercharger and a model S parks next to me and the owner walks over. She asks me about the 3, and tells me she has a reservation and has to decide if she wants to take a long range car *for the same price* as the car she reserved (a base model). Yes, that's a 7K savings. Apparently Tesla called her a few days ago and *had some cars* that she could choose from if she wanted immediate delivery. The "cars they had" were all Extended Range (but not dual motor) cars.

Anyone heard anything like this out there? I was pretty shocked. Thats a lot of discount.

btw the "not-so" supercharger comment is about Dublin. I couldnt get more than 37KW out of the supercharger despite showing up at a 66% SOC. Apparently this is well known by people who operate Teslas in the area. I had never been to that location before (its a Tesla service location which has a colocated Supercharger). I noticed my car connected to "Tesla Service" automatically while i was charging.
unless she actually took one home for that price, I'd tend to believe she was mistaken on what was being offered, or lost something in translation. because, what is there to 'decide' if a person waiting for short range could get the same price on a long range car now, I can't imagine many people would do anything but jump on that immediately.

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure how you get $7k discount on LR+PUP = base model price. For LR+PUP $49k to come down to $35k, it would be a $14k discount. Unless Tesla is telling her if she gets it now, she also qualifies for $7k fed rebate (vs. she waits for SR past 12/31 she will not qualify), and plus the $7k discount they are throwing in, that comes out to $14k discount, then the math works.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw the unassigned and demo car discounts on the RWDs for the northeast. My local store guy pulled up 30+ cars and they were split between Rwd and fully loaded P3D+. The discounts were between $1k and $2500 off from what I recall, depending on the miles. Some unassigned cars with 50 or less miles had no discount. There was nothing discounted $5k plus otherwise I’d be sporting a different signature right now...

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
unless she actually took one home for that price, I'd tend to believe she was mistaken on what was being offered, or lost something in translation. because, what is there to 'decide' if a person waiting for short range could get the same price on a long range car now, I can't imagine many people would do anything but jump on that immediately.
I agree, this is a misunderstanding. Tesla has not offered anyone a new LR for a $9,000 discount. But, now that it's been said, the shorts at Seeking Alpha will be repeating endlessly that Tesla is heavily discounting cars due to lack of demand (when in fact, there are still thousands of people chomping at the bit to take delivery of their own LR Model 3 at the normal price).

I've heard people with a Model 3 reservation who were intending to buy the SR model agonize over whether they should take a LR now and get the $7500 tax credit or wait for the SR and perhaps miss out on the full $7500 tax credit. Granted, $7500 does not equal $9000 and the 1/2 tax credit of $3750 is still available next year but peoples minds work in odd ways when there is a Model 3 dangling in front of them!;) So that is an alternate explanation of the story.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've heard people with a Model 3 reservation who were intending to buy the SR model agonize over whether they should take a LR now and get the $7500 tax credit or wait for the SR and perhaps miss out on the full $7500 tax credit. Granted, $7500 does not equal $9000 and the 1/2 tax credit of $3750 is still available next year but peoples minds work in odd ways when there is a Model 3 dangling in front of them!;) So that is an alternate explanation of the story.
This was what I was thinking likely could have been the cause of the misunderstanding. “You can get this LR now, and guatentee the $7500 credit”....