Formula One Racing

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jeda - Tesla Tech Accessories

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have been a pretty die hard Indy fan for about 12 years. Started watching and getting into F1 about 4 years ago. I am not a Mercedes fan, but Bottas is my favorite driver. Past ready for Hamilton to move on or Bottas, he deserves better than second fiddle to Hamilton, but that is the way it will always be while they are both are Mercedes.

Season 3 of the the Netflix show just dropped a few days ago - have watched 3 of them.

I'm not aware of F1 TV Pro, but I do know that they've altered the start time of some of their races to attract more US viewers this year. It hasn't been popular with many of the teams.

Used to watch Indy racing as well. Back in the days of AJ, Unsers, Andretti, Posey, Rahal, but not much any more. Watch the Indy 500 but that's about it.
Had the pleasure of meeting and working with Al Jr. at Lincoln, Nebraska, for Solo Nationals, where he drove one of the Summitt cars, 2 years ago

Reactions: GDN

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Been an F1 fan as long as I can remember. I think it's when I saw a model of a 6 wheeled Tyrrell and thought, "hang on, that's bloody cool!".

Lately, as in really since the V6 hybrid era, I really can't stand the racing. I tune in every weekend, and about the most exciting thing they have is qualifying. Can't stand the Sky News world broadcast, horrid. Bring back Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett. Those guys were fun to listen to. These other guys screaming bloody murder, no thanks.

The races are a total snooze fest 99.9% of the time. It is so bad it's actually re-inspired me to start watching IndyCar. I was really looking forward to the 2021 regs but we'll have to wait another year to see what happens, unfortunately. I'm no mechanical engineer so I can't tell you how we can get more competitive. I don't want to go to a near-spec series like Indy is, though.

I'm a Hamilton fan. Been so since he nearly won the championship in 2007 when he blew it by putting it on the grass in China entering the pits! But fate gave him a pass in 2008 by causing Massa to go off. Poor guy. I'll never forget the video of Massa's dad realizing that he had just lost the championship. I'm pretty bored of him winning everything but have to say that even given that Mercedes is the best team, he's a hell of a driver. George Russell in his car last year though was epic.

Oh, and to your original post, I can't get behind Formula E. The sound just drives me nuts!
I remember the Tyrrell 6 wheeler, but my first year I developed a real interest was when Mario Andretti won the F1 title in the Lotus. I believe that was in 1978.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK - the F1 talk is quiet - so I take this interruption to share just about my favorite day of the year - Indy Car in TX. Doubleheader - a race yesterday and one today. 220 MPH, 22 to 24 second lap times. Just pure speed. Now just 364 days to wait again.

64160128490__091BD56F-C740-428C-8F7A-17EF9827833C.jpeg

Reactions: Mad Hungarian

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been an F1 fan for a long time. Back in the late 70's early 80's I would go to the Long Beach Grand Prix almost every year. I was a Lewis Hamilton fan until he got too political so now I'm rooting for Verstappen. I do wish there was more competition and various teams winning. The last decade of Mercedes/Red Bull domination has gotten old. McLaren is one of my favorite teams and it's good to see them running closer to the front. I'm hoping for some mid field teams to move closer to the front runners. Look forward to this season but I'll congratulate Lewis for 8th title now, I don't think this year will be much different than what we have seen.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been an F1 fan for a long time. Back in the late 70's early 80's I would go to the Long Beach Grand Prix almost every year. I was a Lewis Hamilton fan until he got too political so now I'm rooting for Verstappen. I do wish there was more competition and various teams winning. The last decade of Mercedes/Red Bull domination has gotten old. McLaren is one of my favorite teams and it's good to see them running closer to the front. I'm hoping for some mid field teams to move closer to the front runners. Look forward to this season but I'll congratulate Lewis for 8th title now, I don't think this year will be much different than what we have seen.

McLaren now has a team - 2 cars, running in Indy Car. https://arrowmclarensp.com/ They won Sunday's race with Pato O'Ward, 21 year old Mexican driver in only his second year. Yesterday was his/their first win. They are putting a lot of stock in Pato and Zak Brown told him before this weekend that if he could win a race they'd take him to test in F1. Zak has already followed up to say Pato has earned the right. He previously had a second and third place win.

Indy Car is like you describe F1. The top couple of teams and drivers win week after week. It's hard to understand just how much better a handful of drivers or teams are. I guess money can buy the best. Indy Car runs identical cars and a choice of two motors (Chevy and Honda) however, very little else on the car is modified. In F1 the teams can and do make modifications that are not shared to all cars (hence the Builders Championship), so I can see how one team can be more dominant, but I too am ready for both series to have some big shakes up with the winners and leaders.

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agree that the last couple of years have not been the best for competition. Mercedes has dominated the competition for too many years, and hopefully some new players will make their mark this year. There are signs that may be a possibility this year, with Ferrari showing some life again, McLaren stepping up with new power and capable drivers. And Red Bull with two drivers who have shown they are serious contenders. I'd like to see Max win a title this year, but Lewis and Mercedes will need to make some mistakes to make that happen. That just has not been the case the last couple of years.
Also pulling for Lando and Charles, as the younger drivers are needed to bring back some competition and excitement.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, the new blood and young drivers make the sport more exciting. I look forward and hope to see a time where we might not know who will win the next race! Would be so great to have a season where 3 or more teams could possibly take the title and it boils down to the last race of the season. Only time will tell. I tried to get tickets to Austin this year but all the good seats are already gone. Maybe next year.

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, the new blood and young drivers make the sport more exciting. I look forward and hope to see a time where we might not know who will win the next race! Would be so great to have a season where 3 or more teams could possibly take the title and it boils down to the last race of the season. Only time will tell. I tried to get tickets to Austin this year but all the good seats are already gone. Maybe next year.
Went to COTA two years ago for my third trip. Picked up seat I wanted for Sunday race (turn 1) but I did a GA for Fri. and Sat. Picked up Fri's ticket last minute for around $25, and sat across from the Ferrari pit along main straight. So there are some last minute seats that come up.
It would be nice if the title race would go down to the final race.

Jim H

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There will be a race next year at Hard Rock Stadium where the Miami Dolphins play. That’s ~30 minutes away from my house!
Does that mean I would have to fly into Miami airport for the race? With all the fights going on at that airport, I'll pass on that one. COTA much better.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does that mean I would have to fry into Miami airport for the race? With all the fights going on at that airport, I'll pass on that one. COTA much better.

You could fly into Fort Lauderdale. I avoid Miami like the plague.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.