Forget the disappointment, anyone else really surprised?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As someone who's got a relatively short daily commute, I'm strongly considering skipping EAP for now. Since you've had a chance to get comfortable with it for a few weeks now, when do you find yourself using it the most?

I'm basically just trying to not talk myself into it, and using those funds for other related things (winter tires/wheels/paint protection/etc).
I would say 72 of 75 miles I drive per day are highway miles, so I’m in EAP for probably 98% of those 72 miles!

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EAP is wonderful especially for long and/or slow commutes. Husband only has a 40 mile commute (39 of those miles are freeway driving) and mostly at 20-50 mph in rush hour. He says AP is worth it to alleviate the stop and go fatigue and “the only time I’m not on AP is when I exit/enter the freeway”.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
He says AP is worth it to alleviate the stop and go fatigue and “the only time I’m not on AP is when I exit/enter the freeway”.
That statement about fatigue is difficult for most people to fully appreciate.

I have a short story that explains why I think I get it. In (what seems like) another life, I was a commercial fisherman on a 58' Alaskan salmon seiner. The owner of the vessel was a hardy, life-long fisherman, a high-liner for whom no job was too difficult or too big of a challenge. When the fleet started to upgrade their boats in increasing numbers to auto-pilots, he scoffed at other owners for adopting technology that had such limited functionality. Certainly, he could afford the best autopilots available but how hard could it be to occasionally look at the compass and bump the steering wheel to maintain course? When towing the net in the middle of a set it was the same story, an occasional bump of the wheel kept our net properly shaped to catch the most fish.

After an increasing number of other skippers began to rave about the benefits of AP he finally decided to install one while doing some other upgrades to his boat. He thought he was wasting his money, after all, it was simply not a problem to do what he had been doing his entire life. But then he discovered he had almost unlimited energy. He said the auto pilot literally transformed his day, whether he was actively fishing or simply running to new fishing ground, he finished the day in a better mood and without any fatigue. He felt like he could fish 24/7.

Although he didn't realize it previously, the simple mental act of maintaining a straight course was wearing him down. This was the type of man who would find such an admission embarrassing because that's what fisherman do and he was hardy and physically fit. But the benefits were so great and so obvious he became an outspoken advocate. And all the AP on a boat does is maintain a set course. Tesla EAP does so much more.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He thought he was wasting his money, after all, it was simply not a problem to do what he had been doing his entire life. But then he discovered he had almost unlimited energy. He said the auto pilot literally transformed his day, whether he was actively fishing or simply running to new fishing ground, he finished the day in a better mood and without any fatigue. He felt like he could fish 24/7.

Although he didn't realize it previously, the simple mental act of maintaining a straight course was wearing him down.
Great story! Hits the nail on the head with respect to fatigue, which isn't necessarily about falling asleep at the wheel as much as it is about how you feel *after* you've reached your destination.

Similar story: last summer we drove from Portland to Tacoma and back in my parents' Mercedes equipped with driver assistance features, including lane-keeping assist and adaptive cruise control. I drove the first leg, and kept those features engaged for the vast majority of the trip. Upon arriving, I didn't feel anywhere near as worn down as I have when we've done this drive in the past -- it just felt like we'd merely driven down the block. By contrast, my wife drove the return trip and adamantly refused to engage the driver assistance features, which she does not yet trust enough to feel comfortable using. After about two hours, not only did I notice her starting to drift across the lane lines, the car noticed too and started recommending that she take a break (uhhh, thanks KITT?). It wasn't that she needed another cup of coffee, her mind just needed a break from micromanaging the steering wheel and pedals.

Ultimately it takes a lot less mental energy to monitor a task than it takes to perform the task yourself. I think we have a tendency to underestimate that difference.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
- MODEL 3 - MUSICIAN QUESTION - DRUMMER

is there any DRUMMERS or PERCUSSIONIST that have a model 3 or WILL buy one? I want to know if you can fit a 5 piece drum kit in the model 3, trunk and frunk... IF ANYONE knows someone or knows of a video i can look at (specifically of model 3), i would greatly appreciate it. i will be getting my model 3 in April-June... and this is a VERY important factor for my decision.