Ford Mustang Mach-E

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Your thoughts on this topic mirror my own, @JWardell; with one caveat-Supercharging. If your intention is largely as a daily driver around town and/or single charge commutes, the MachE appears to be a great option. If you road trip often, Tesla remains the only viable option; for now. Hopefully, before I need a new EV, the supercharging network options and new EV options will give me a variety of solid choices.

I am definitely not the Tesla fan boy I once was(Elon's antics and Tesla's overall policy of customer nonservice has cured me). I desperately hope that there will be many quality EV choices in the near future. Because I remain an EV fan boy.

Supercharging is certainly and advantage now, but Tesla is opening it up to CCS, so it's no longer an advantage.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Supercharging is certainly and advantage now, but Tesla is opening it up to CCS, so it's no longer an advantage.
I don't see Tesla actually making this available until there's some kind of federal incentive introduced to offset the cost of fast-charging networks for networks that are available to any EV.

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m a dissatisfied former Focus EV owner. Went through >2 years of hell until they finally repurchased my bricked car back.

Ford is doomed.

P.S. Saw the Mach-E on the highway last week. Looks like a wannabe mustang. Not a fan.

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA

What does their advertising spend have to do with anything?

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA

What does their advertising spend have to do with anything?

This is also patently false. They don't spend on traditional advertising (TV/Radio), but they spend in other areas. The events they had/have to showcase the CyberTruck, Plaid, Battery Day, etc aren't free and serve no purpose other than to ADVERTISE their products.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is also patently false. They don't spend on traditional advertising (TV/Radio), but they spend in other areas. The events they had/have to showcase the CyberTruck, Plaid, Battery Day, etc aren't free and serve no purpose other than to ADVERTISE their products.
Still cheaper than going to a traditional car show and getting all the eyeballs instead of having to share with others

Mike

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
There is a difference between ”marketing” and a subset of marketing known as “paid advertising“.

It’s generally acknowledged that Tesla doesn’t spend any capital on “paid advertising“ (at least outside China) but it is generally acknowledged that Tesla does spend capital on “marketing“ (such as the open house at Giga Berlin, etc).

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. Spacely

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Still cheaper than going to a traditional car show and getting all the eyeballs instead of having to share with others
There is a difference between ”marketing” and a subset of marketing known as “paid advertising“.

It’s generally acknowledged that Tesla doesn’t spend any capital on “paid advertising“ (at least outside China) but it is generally acknowledged that Tesla does spend capital on “marketing“ (such as the open house at Giga Berlin, etc).

No doubt Tesla's actual spend compared to legacy automakers is practically zero, but most definitely NOT zero. In addition to the shows there's the "referral" system that costs them money (in vehicles and SC miles). The beauty of Tesla is that they're bleeding edge in EVERYTHING they do. The vehicles, the manufacturing, the ordering/logistics, and yes, even their marketing. I don't think there's a single facet to their business that compares to legacy.

On a similar note, Rivian/Lucid seem to have the same "marketing" strategy as Tesla. We'll see how long that'll last.

Reactions: Mike

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On a similar note, Rivian/Lucid seem to have the same "marketing" strategy as Tesla. We'll see how long that'll last.
As long as these manufacturers can sell every vehicle they produce, there's no need to generate more demand through advertising.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It will last about as long as they have no standing inventory. How stupid would they have to be to advertise something that IS NOT for sale?

• Agree
Reactions: garsh

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It will last about as long as they have no standing inventory. How stupid would they have to be to advertise something that IS NOT for sale?
I don't disagree at all, but. Ford has already been mentioned in this thread. I see Lightning advertisements almost daily. Since they already have big money set aside for advertising, there is some gain - if you've seen nothing but one product in front of you in advertisements for a year and then one day you get up and decide to purchase a product in said category - you go look at the one you've seen repeatedly.

I don't see how it can ever pay off for the money they spend, but someone does.

Reactions: iChris93

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Like how Tesla had a presentation for the CT, Semi, and Roadster?

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Like how Tesla had a presentation for the CT, Semi, and Roadster?
Yeah, Tesla screwed up the timing with those presentations. They really should have waited until production was more imminent, like they did with the Model Y.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah, Tesla screwed up the timing with those presentations. They really should have waited until production was more imminent, like they did with the Model Y.

What really confuses a lot of people about Tesla is, most of the other car companies out there will secretly test new models in camouflage, and the automotive press takes great delight in trying to get spy photos of them. When they finally do unveil the model to the public, it's ready to be manufactured within a few months.

Tesla has no such thing, because Elon Musk displays cars that are barely even concepts on stage in front of the world. It makes people have high expectations that it will be produced very soon, because that's what they're used to with other companies.

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did they? Have you seen the stock price? They issued shares after stock lift. Pretty damn good.

Seems like Tesla is the rage. I’m not sure they have done wrong by creating buzz and anticipation the way they did.

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What really confuses a lot of people about Tesla is, most of the other car companies out there will secretly test new models in camouflage, and the automotive press takes great delight in trying to get spy photos of them. When they finally do unveil the model to the public, it's ready to be manufactured within a few months.

Tesla has no such thing, because Elon Musk displays cars that are barely even concepts on stage in front of the world. It makes people have high expectations that it will be produced very soon, because that's what they're used to with other companies.

The worst of it is when the final released product is barely a derivative of an existing model. I've seen some spy shots of the Corvette E-ray and it cracks me up every time. You can tell that it's the same exact car as the current C8 Corvette. What's the point?