Ford Mustang Mach-E

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, wanted to get a thread started on the Mach-E & the reveal event, so we can discuss.

I think it looks like a real effort. I'm checking out the configurations right now, and it does look to be something of a competitor with the Model Y for sure. Some of the configurations like the GT 7 the Select (looks like the base range version), say Packages Coming soon still, so will be interesting to see more on that.
https://www.ford.com/buy/mach-e/build-and-price.html?config=WANAB-CGW-2021-CX727#/model

On the Reveal Event.
  • I'll give them credit for only the one dig at Tesla that I noticed (on the display in front of the driver).
  • Sorry guys, but it was boring, there was so much dead time and straight monotone reading from scripts. It was so forced.
  • The Cars! - also when they brought the cars out, they went back to a closeup of the guy talking... WTF, show us the cars, who's running this thing? You just unveiled the car and only gave us a few seconds glmps at it? I know it was leaked earlier in the week, but common man! I'll give them credit after the wrapup they did a little better job doing some moves around the GT car to check it out.
  • "Largest Charging Network of Any Automaker"? - this one is interesting, would like to see the footnote on this one. I don't have any high speed chargers around me that aren't Superchargers.
  • Hands Free Driving Capability? - what is this and why no details? They said with secure over the air software updates, it would be future upgradeable to hands free driving and didn't explain that. Also he said "product" and "performance" enhancements, but didn't explain if that was just a software thing or included hardware. I don't really see any cameras or sensors, so not sure how this works.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did anyone else watch the reveal? Cringeworthy scene after cringeworthy scene. Everything was so scripted yet uncomfortably acted. Elon might not be a great speaker, but at least he is real and just himself.
No technical information, vague performance statements, even a fully rendered CGI "race" with other mustangs.
Thankfully, it looks like Ford did a much better job with the vehicle than the presentation. I really don't like the front end, the back is find, but it does look great from the side. Of course it is a small SUV and it should sell like hotcakes. Pricing is reasonable around $50k with a reasonable range. Of course they need 100kWh to do what Tesla does with 75. But I think commendably good for their first go at a full EV.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just put my thought in the other Mach-E thread. :)

[MOD EDIT: merged threads]

Last edited by a moderator:

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
LOL, I saw it was last updated 3 hours ago, so I thought I'd start a clean one, but maybe they will get combined.

More Stuff:
  • 1st All Electric Vehicle - @evchels brought up that Ford has made many all electrics in the past, but thought most people probably didn't know that.
  • 1st Edition - 270 mile range with 98.8kWh (they forgot the 'h' on the end in the descripiton), 0-60 in the Mid 5s.
  • GT - 250 miles 98.8 kWh battery, this looks like the one they are shooting for the 3.5s range.
  • California RT.1 Edition - this looks like the 300 mile range one, with 98.8 kWh battery and 0-60 in mid 6s range.
  • 98.8 kWh Battery seems to be the Extended Range one, when selecting an option, for a split secnod you can see the Standard Range Battery -RWD with 230 mile target range and 75.7 kW battery.
1574047792105-png.30622

Last edited:

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lotta cheese for sure. And the tele-prompters were lolz.

Tesla reveals are a cringeworthy Elon speech about the history of Tesla (again) followed by zero info about the car, so not much better, imo. The Taycan was also terrible.

Really, who thinks these reveals are any good?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just watched the reveal, really hoping Ford might do something but it just falls flat on its face for me. The whole thing screams "Make a Tesla built by Ford". Front end looks like they copied the original Model S, same with the interior but cheaper looking. The poor efficiency of this thing really shows how far ahead Tesla is. Sorry Mr. Ford, too little, too late, too plagiarized. And oh, they never mentioned if the over the air updates would always be free.........(I'm guessing not).

thredge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK, I know you guys might harp on me for this, but after letting all the stuff sink in, I think my biggest disappointment in the Mach-E is the range. It seems like they let styling win over efficiency in the range department. I'm a little shocked that they have to use a 100 kWh battery to get to 270 miles in the mid 5s 0-60 version, and that the GT will only get 250 miles with that sized battery? It feels like you have to chose your desired world and can't have it all (range and performance), in the same package.

On the vehicle itself, I'm a little torn. On one hand, they copied the heck out of the Tesla stable with this thing. Looks, size, features, the best form of flattery they say, and I think that was smart. They really studied the benchmark. At the same time they missed the mark on efficiency, and I know it's hard to match the best in the biz. I'm also disappointing though, they didn't take all they learned from the Tesla and really do their own car. Like I said, torn. I can't wait to check this thing out.

I do hope they are serious, but I'm getting queasy feelings of sorriness for them already. This charger thing better pan out, so every day people have good experiences. I kind of feel like the could go all in, but overdelivering could mess them up, and I'm starting to think this is going to be a really tentative roll out at best. It doesn't really sound like we are going to get any details on their plans for production numbers until they are actually producing and delivering cars though?

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Curious where they found room for 98.8 kWh...pouch cells more compact? Or double stack at the rear seat?
I saw somewhere the battery has 250-350 cells, so they would be giant pouch cells. Curious what brand they will be.

$ Trillion Musk

Buy $XRP. Hodl it for life.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Mustang is sort of an appropriate name... this Mach E is the modern day equivalent of the horse & buggy back in the days of the Model T.

Ford is the disrupted one this time around, unfortunately.

There’s nothing new or groundbreaking or compelling about this car. And they foolishly badge their decades long racing heritage on top of it! Plus the Tesla Model Y would already be out in the wild for several months by the time deliveries begin for the Mach E, giving Tesla first mover advantage. It goes to show that the folks at Ford don’t know WTF they’re doing.

I’m a current Ford EV owner BTW.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Maybe I'll revisit this post later and find it too harsh, however my reaction to the Ford MOCKERY event last night was shaking my head in confused disbelief leading to disappointment. I even waited to post to see if my mind would change after sleeping (plus I was too tired to be bothered to write). Alas, my disgust remains...

That event was an absolute joke full of CGI (why?), hired Hollywood actors, and a choir of some kind??!? What the hell was Ford doing? For a 45 minute presentation, there was like 5 minutes of actual showing vehicles (allbeit with lights down low and smoke machines going). You don't go to a vehicle reveal event to see other Mustangs, listen to Brixton yap with some Ford exces about their great legacy and blah blah blah, SHOW THE CAR!!!

I did not tune in to see CGI races, no inside shots (other than them going over what the UI is going to look like (but even that was just rendered? CGI?) and then once the actual vehicles came out it was pretty much the end of the event... what a joke.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am happy to see a real EV, but that event was pretty fluffy. It really comes down to dealers and if they will sell it. For me calling it a Mustang and making it a crossover SUV was interesting...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am happy to see a real EV, but that event was pretty fluffy.
And that's why I much prefer Elon's awkward on-stage ramblings to a "slick presentation".
It really comes down to dealers and if they will sell it.
Ford is going to have to throw some sort of bone to the dealers. Dealers aren't going to want to sell a zero-maintenance vehicle. Maybe Ford will "pull a Nissan" and require annual brake-fluid changes. :rolleyes:
For me calling it a Mustang and making it a crossover SUV was interesting...
I take this as a positive sign. Ignore the weirdness of attaching the Mustang name to an SUV instead of a pony car. Using the "Mustang" name pretty much forces Ford to make this an extremely compelling vehicle. You don't want to be the CEO that killed off the "Mustang" cash cow.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'd be real interested to know how many pre-orders they get. I'm sure that number will never be released due to it being embarrassing low compared to Tesla. I'm guessing less than 10K but I'm sure there are a few die hard Ford fans out there who will buy this thing. If you have half a brain and compare the specs to the Model Y the decision is clear and unless you really hate Tesla.

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that the positives of the Mach-E are that it brings more people to the EV party. By all accounts, it doesn’t look like Ford mailed it in for a compliance car with this one, and that is definitely a positive sign. That this is priced ‘competitively’ with Tesla also really helps to expand the playing field. Things like the Leaf’s and Bolt’s of the world simply aren’t compelling offerings compared to a Model 3. Ford has withheld a good bit of info with this and when it hits the streets that could be very telling. Interestingly, price comparing the Mach-E to a Model Y and the Y comes out a smidge cheaper, albeit without FSD and sans the $7500 tax rebate.

As others have pointed out, the real test will be: will dealers sell it? Will they know how to sell it? Will they be able to answer customers questions around charging? Will they not want to push it due to lack of maintenance back-end? It may take Ford offering all kinds of rebates and things to be able to move this past the dealer ‘blockade’.

Time will certainly tell.