Question for dual motor AWD owners, do you rotate your tires?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The front motor is pretty much along for the ride except during hard acceleration or low traction situations. Thus, I'd not expect to see much difference in tire wear patterns compared to a RWD... A little more weight on the front but that is about it.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It does vary, I decided to rotate my tires after only 4k km. I noticed some feathering, front edge of thread blocks wearing faster than the rear edge.
Noticed that in the front and the rear. Since I swapped them in X patern, they all rotate in a different direction so I'm hoping they will even out for next summer.
For now I need to live with a small drone at speed until they get back to somewhat flush.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to add another data point. I have a performance AWD with stock performance wheels/tires.

I got lazy about getting my tires rotated and finally did my very first rotation at 16K+ miles.

Rears measured 6 mm and fronts measured 7 mm, so definitely a little more wear on the rears at least for their P3D.

Note: most miles are commuter highway HOV lane miles in Autopilot. I do drive hard from time to time on surface streets though. 😉

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I rotated mine at 4k miles. I drive hard and lots of hard accelerations. I always find the rear wheel well edges caked with rubber. Definitely a visual difference between my rears and front during the rotation at such low mileage

All depends on driving habits. Maybe get the little tread depth tool to measure if your concerned?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had it done at about 8,000 miles and there wasn’t much difference. Tesla mobile came to my house and did it for $65.00 and I’ll do it again down the road. I would much rather have a authorized Tesla employee rotationing my tires than any tire store.

boppo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had it done at about 8,000 miles and there wasn’t much difference. Tesla mobile came to my house and did it for $65.00 and I’ll do it again down the road. I would much rather have a authorized Tesla employee rotationing my tires than any tire store.
I do it myself and I do it at 5,000 miles, I have 9,445 on it so my second rotation is coming soon. I have always done my gassers at 5K so I will do the same on the EV.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do it myself and I do it at 5,000 miles, I have 9,445 on it so my second rotation is coming soon. I have always done my gassers at 5K so I will do the same on the EV.
I normally follow the same interval with all cars that I’ve owned. I did get lazy this time around and waited until 16K miles. Oops. At 16K miles though, only had a 1 mm difference with the rears having more wear. I was pretty impressed at how even things were. 5K likely overkill in retrospect but definitely can’t hurt if your doing it yourself and not spending extra cash for rotations. It would certainly protect against uneven wear in the event that alignment had inadvertently gone out.

edit: spelling