Question for dual motor AWD owners, do you rotate your tires?

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
from my understanding Tesla's AWD is different from ICE's, where it actually has two motors to power front and rear, therefore the power delivery should be evenly distributed, am i correct? if that's the case do you still rotate your tires every 5000 miles?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
from my understanding Tesla's AWD is different from ICE's, where it actually has two motors to power front and rear, therefore the power delivery should be evenly distributed, am i correct? if that's the case do you still rotate your tires every 5000 miles?
more or less correct, but the computer does generally use the rear motor more than the front when taking off and accelerating, so there is still a slight priority given to the rear motor.

That said, I've not needed to rotate mine yet after 12k miles (of mostly slower speed freeway commuting).

kendthomp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Dual Motor 3 with almost 25,000 miles. I didn't rotate my tires and had to replace the 2 front tires because of wear to the inside 3" of tread at 23,000 miles. I WILL rotate my tires at least every 10,000 or so miles in the future. I don't know if my 19" wheels have an impact or not

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just rotated mine yesterday at 20,000 miles and the rear tires were noticeable more worn then the front. The tire shop said I should get another 20,000 miles out of the set if the now rear (were front) tires ware like the previous rear ones did.

I drive my car like the engineers designed it to be, 1st off the line every time ;)

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm at 8,600 miles, and plan to rotate before 10,000. I checked the tread depth, and there is a difference of about a millimeter between front and rear.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I rotated at about 8,000 if I remember correctly. I had intended to earlier, just didn't get around to it. There was no noticeable wear difference.

It's just one of those things that every tire manufacture has recommended. It is about getting a good even wear to make them all last longer. A car out of alignment can really take a toll on the front tires fast if you don't catch it. Spirited starts could have something to do with it too, although as @Silvermagic3 notes, I'm typically the first one off the line at the stop light.

It's all about your comfort level and how often you watch and check them yourself. It's not the car is going to self destruct if you don't, but everyones driving habits and roads are different. Some will get more wear out of them by rotating and some will get the same amount even if they do.

There is no perfect answer, but if you have doubts, then do it. It isn't going to hurt, it can only add life to the tires.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my tires rotated today at 12,000mi. My rear tires (now front) are down to the wear bar. The fronts (now rear) are still pretty good. I have 18's. I guess I drive too hard?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually in my experience my ICE is more evenly distributed power in slippery conditions than my EV.

But you don’t rotate just for traction based wear differences. The tires wear differently on the sides as well between front and back.

I always rotate any car. I just rotate when I change them seasonally regardless of miles (which generally is not to high, like 8k miles).

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I rotated mine at 10k miles (a few weeks ago). Took just under an hour with two jacks, the jack pucks and a breaker bar and torque wrench. I rotated back to front and and crossed the front driver to passenger rear and front passenger to driver rear. I have an AWD by the way.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have dual motors, but I would still recommend everyone rotate their tires regularly (~5k miles) regardless of the difference in wear time. Even if the wear between the front and rear tires is almost the same on a dual motor car, the wear patterns will be slightly different in all likelihood. When the tires are rotated with different wear patterns, you will feel it for several hundred miles. It's not dangerous or abnormal, but feeling slight vibrations that you're not used to is kind of annoying. I could feel an obvious difference after waiting ~8k miles for my latest rotation.

jsquared

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an AWD and just rotated the tires myself at 10,500. I did not observe any irregular tire wear but I could hear a difference in tire noise (a little louder), so I thought I better do it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have around 14.8k on mine. Rotated at 6.5k and 13k. At 13k there was some irregular wear so I also got an alignment as I was going to go on the longest road trip yet, roundtrip 1.2k. This weekend I'll do some measurements to see where how it fared after the trip.

I feel fine with the 6.5k interval as this allows me to inspect suspension/brake components for issues as well as the aerodynamic fairings and the battery for any physical damage.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long are the stock tires supposed to last? I know it will vary, but what is the range of variation?
I just changed my OEM 18's after 35,000 miles. Only one rotation on my P3D. I think I could have gotten an additional 5K if I had rotated more often. BTW, I took about an 8% efficiency hit with the new tread.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’m at 22,000 miles on the fronts and 16,000 miles on the rears (had to replace two blown tires due to a rockslide and put the new ones on the rear). Model 3P stealth. All four tires are down to 3mm, so the tears are wearing faster than the fronts. I may be able to get another 3-4K miles if I’m careful.

JoeP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had mine rotated when i had to visit the Service Center to replace a rim and tire that had been damaged. I had about 10K on the car at the time and intend to keep doing that.
BTW you can get this done at an American's Tire store, they know how to lift Teslas there, i saw them do mine, when they figured out i needed a new rim due to a slow leak