For cyclists, your bike fits in the M3!

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before I purchased my Model 3 I had the worst time figuring out if my bicycle would fit with the seats down. I googled and youtubed my ass off, only ever found one video on youtube that poorly suggested it was doable. I really, really didn't want to install the hitch if I didn't need to.

I want anyone else out there with the same question sitting on the order button to know that you CAN fit a road bike into your Model 3 with seats down. The only caveat is you must take the front wheel off.

Actually, my dad and I fit * TWO * road bikes in the model 3, both with front wheels off, blankets between the two bikes stacked on top of each other (they're 20lb carbon road bikes so no biggie).

We drove 160 miles with two people (my dad and I), two suitcases, a YETI cooler and all our gear in the model 3.

I can solidly say, unless you plan on hauling more than 3 or 4 bikes consistently there is absolutely no reason for a bike rack for the Model 3 considering the Wh/mi hit I've seen people post with racks.

Also, I was able to fit my Trek Speed Concept Tri bike in the Model 3 without even removing the front wheel.

*your results may vary, my circumstance was to demonstrate fitment for road cyclists... common sense should prevail for your circumstances

Attachments

Last edited:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before I purchased my Model 3 I had the worst time figuring out if my bicycle would fit with the seats down. I googled and youtubed my ass off, only ever found one video on youtube that poorly suggested it was doable. I really, really didn't want to install the hitch if I didn't need to.

I want anyone else out there with the same question sitting on the order button to know that you CAN fit a road bike into your Model 3 with seats down. The only caveat is you must take the front wheel off.

Actually, my dad and I fit * TWO * road bikes in the model 3, both with front wheels off, blankets between the two bikes stacked on top of each other (they're 20lb carbon road bikes so no biggie).

We drove 160 miles with two people (my dad and I), two suitcases, a YETI cooler and all our gear in the model 3.

I can solidly say, unless you plan on hauling more than 3 or 4 bikes consistently there is absolutely no reason for a bike rack for the Model 3 considering the Wh/mi hit I've seen people post with racks.

Also, I was able to fit my Trek Speed Concept Tri bike in the Model 3 without even removing the front wheel.
I have a 50 pound ebike and it fits just fine, my issue is my wife also has an ebike and we can not fit both of them so there will definitely be a hitch/rack in our future

I have a 50 pound ebike and it fits just fine, my issue is my wife also has an ebike and we can not fit both of them so there will definitely be a hitch/rack in our future
I suggest the Torklift Ecohitch. I had one installed so I could have a hitch mounted bike rack, and I love it! Due to shoulder issues, I can't lift a bike very far, so I'm very happy with the combination. They also make a cover so that you can remove the receiver, and it looks like there is nothing there at all.

img_2613-jpg.16478

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated original post with disclaimer ish statement, most tesla owners have good common sense.

Good to know about e-bike.

I imagine mountain bikers probably cant stack 2 in the trunk like us roadies can

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

*your results may vary, my circumstance was to demonstrate fitment for road cyclists... common sense should prevail for your circumstances
Thanks for the pics. I've just be placing my bike in the back (up-right) and covering the seats to prevent punctures to the eco-leather.