Footwell lights, soft blue color

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've always had soft blue LED lights (always on when my car is on) in my footwells for the past 12 years.

It's nice at night......

I understand the Model 3 has footwell lights that can be set to be on while the car is running as night.

These lights are white and I want them to be blue.

I understand that there are kits out there that swap the whole OEM white bulb module out for a blue bulb module.

I'm looking for the $2 bulb itself.

Can anyone tell me what the actual LED bulb size is that fits inside the footwell light module?

Thanks.

Six days to delivery.........

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've always had soft blue LED lights (always on when my car is on) in my footwells for the past 12 years.

It's nice at night......

I understand the Model 3 has footwell lights that can be set to be on while the car is running as night.

These lights are white and I want them to be blue.

I understand that there are kits out there that swap the whole OEM white bulb module out for a blue bulb module.

I'm looking for the $2 bulb itself.

Can anyone tell me what the actual LED bulb size is that fits inside the footwell light module?

Thanks.

Six days to delivery.........
LEDs are diodes, not bulbs, and these have a specific harness connector. replacements are available thru the Tesla aftermarket sellers (Abstract Ocean, RPMTesla, etc) but you will not be able to get these off the shelf from a local autocrats store.
You theoretically could remove the light and solder replacement blue diodes in place of the white, if they are the same size and draw the same power, but haven't seen anyone who has attempted that.

There are also colored film kits you can place over the white. Easiest and virtually free modification would be to take blue colored electrical tape and cover the light lens, assuming the stock LEDs are bright enough to provide any useful light thru the tape.
(this trick came from a previous car mod group to customize a gauge cluster or various backlit buttons)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchased the interior blue light kit from RPM, installed it and it works pretty well. The front footwell LEDs are nice and bright. The blue films that cover the door pockets lights are not as bright since the LEDs are not replaced but only covered with the blue films. I think the OEM LEDs are not as bright in general.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
LEDs are diodes, not bulbs, and these have a specific harness connector.
Agreed.

In my Prius, I switched all the incandescent bulbs for LED equivalent bulbs from this web site many years ago:

http://www.wardenjp.com/

The dome lights were from this site:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_n...ulb Warm White Light 12V&_itemId=230701926083

From the units I found at the site above, the connection hardware was modified and spliced into the 12 volt, hot while engine running circuit (yes, my footwells are always lit in a blue glow).

There are also colored film kits you can place over the white. Easiest and virtually free modification would be to take blue colored electrical tape and cover the light lens, assuming the stock LEDs are bright enough to provide any useful light thru the tape.
(this trick came from a previous car mod group to customize a gauge cluster or various backlit buttons)
Didn't think of that. I will research that once I have my car and I can actually root around under the dash.

My instinct tells me I'll just spend about five bucks on these and wire them into the two leads that power the LED bulbs under the dash of the Model 3:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Blue-LED-12-V-Car-Lighting/71536/bn_93619997

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I purchased the interior blue light kit from RPM, installed it and it works pretty well. The front footwell LEDs are nice and bright. The blue films that cover the door pockets lights are not as bright since the LEDs are not replaced but only covered with the blue films. I think the OEM LEDs are not as bright in general.
@Quicksilver, may I ask a favour?

Since you used the RPM kit for your footwell lights, could you post some pictures of the OEM light module that you pulled out of your car?

What I'm really interested in seeing is if it contains an actual LED bulb that plugs into a socket.

Thanks.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Since you used the RPM kit for your footwell lights, could you post some pictures of the OEM light module that you pulled out of your car?

What I'm really interested in seeing is if it contains an actual LED bulb that plugs into a socket.

Thanks.
Ok...I'll post some soon.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks.
Here you go...it looks like the LED is solder at top and bottom...(top being right below the word LED1).

img_0965-jpg.9191

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered a sheet. Typical free shipping from China means in four to six weeks I'll get a suprise in the mail.

I'll post technique and results when applicable .
I know you've already got it on the way, but wouldn't art shops have a similar product for a few bucks a sheet? Or a camera store- they sell gels to over lights and are heat resistant.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I know you've already got it on the way, but wouldn't art shops have a similar product for a few bucks a sheet? Or a camera store- they sell gels to over lights and are heat resistant.
I'm in a very rural setting.

If the product would be at a Walmart that's 25 minutes away, then yes I guess I could have checked there.

This way is slower....but a sure thing.