Fog Lights

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Typical for this time of year, warm days and near freezing overnight, it has been foggy in the mornings. The last couple days, it has been very low visibility in the morning. According to the screen icons, the auto-headlights are NOT on, meaning the foglights also are OFF. I've had to manually turn the headlights on to have the foglights come on.
so...
1) what is everyone else doing where it is foggy?
2) if you manually turn on the headlights, do they automatically turn back off? (that sounds like a pretty dumb question)

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When fog happens around me in North Carolina (not often but a few times per year), I use wipers and lights manually. The wipers help me, and the lights are for others to see me. If it is foggy AND dark, the lights help me as well. When finished with the fog, the drive, and/or the dark, I return everything to Auto and move on. Lather, rinse, and repeat for the next foggy event. Some or all of this may not be necessary, but I go back to driving in similar situations in previous vehicles and feel safer with my approach at this point in my Model 3 ownership.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2) if you manually turn on the headlights, do they automatically turn back off? (that sounds like a pretty dumb question)
Not a crazy question and interesting. Most everything about the manual says regardless of what you do the head lights will go back to auto. Page 45 says they are set to auto every time you start the car. My test was only in the garage, but I turned the headlights to "On" and as I put the car back in park and exited I got interesting messages "Headlights are set to on - Vehicle Range may be limited." Also got the red warning symbol with that same message. However after getting out of the car and walking away, the headlights still went off on their own. I went back, unlocked and got in the car. I heard a ding as I opened the door I haven't heard before, but the headlights did not come back on and when I went into the menu settings the headlights were set to "Auto" once again.

I think the 3 is looking out for us and if this is the way it really works it may be almost impossible to turn the headlights on and force them to stay on while you are outside the car. May have to leave the door cracked or something.

As a side note, I always keep the fog lights on, I like the extra light and helps to make the car just even a little more visible to others. They come on and off with the auto headlights.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a side note, I always keep the fog lights on, I like the extra light and helps to make the car just even a little more visible to others. They come on and off with the auto headlights.
yeah - thats what I do also, but my issue this last week, is at dawn, when foggy, the auto headlights (and in turn fog lights) do not come on. then once the fog clears they THEN come on. so seems there is something about the brightness of the fog that confuse the light sensor or something.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is at dawn, when foggy, the auto headlights (and in turn fog lights) do not come on.
It seems that US market cars of all brands with fog lights have the fog lights linked to the low beams. So no foglight with high beams, and no fog lights alone. To me it would make more sense to set up the switches so that activating the fog light switch turns on the low beams, at a minimum. Cycling the power could reset, as it seems to do now. One safety issue that seems to be overlooked is that, in fog, with the lights on "Auto", there are no taillights. Taillights are important in fog.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Went out this morning to see if I could get a photo of no lights in foggy conditions, and it was not has foggy as it had been, so of course when I leave my neighborhood, the lights (and fogs) come on. So drive around thru a couple areas where it is always a little heavier to see if the auto lights go off, and they stay on (figures). Then just as I am about to go back into my neighborhood, (still foggy), they go off.
Lights still set to Auto, Fogs still set to go on (with the auto lights) and clearly still should have lights on.
img_1123-jpg.16438

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems that US market cars of all brands with fog lights have the fog lights linked to the low beams. So no foglight with high beams, and no fog lights alone. To me it would make more sense to set up the switches so that activating the fog light switch turns on the low beams, at a minimum. Cycling the power could reset, as it seems to do now. One safety issue that seems to be overlooked is that, in fog, with the lights on "Auto", there are no taillights. Taillights are important in fog.
Seems they still have some work to do on this as @MelindaV just posted her results from trial this morning, but @raleedy have you confirmed that on "Auto" and in fog there are no tail lights? If the car has turned the lights on, I'm pretty certain regardless of reason the tail lights wold be on as well.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I haven't had to much fog here, I find the brightness has a real affect on when the lights come on. Occasionally I think the lights should be in when they are not so I manually turn them on. It is kinda like when it is too bright not to wear sunglasses but the same glasses make it too dark. It may just be that transition zone. That is what I chalk it up as. Not a regular problem that I feel needs corrected, for me

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd forgotten, I'd hit save on the on-board dashcam the other morning when it was very foggy and the lights needed to manually be turned on.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd forgotten, I'd hit save on the on-board dashcam the other morning when it was very foggy and the lights needed to manually be turned on.
Consider filing a bug report the next time you encounter this, and maybe also suggest Automatic Fog Lights when fog is detected.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Consider filing a bug report the next time you encounter this, and maybe also suggest Automatic Fog Lights when fog is detected.
I did email support, but will do an in car bug report this morning (assuming it again acts the same)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems they still have some work to do on this as @MelindaV just posted her results from trial this morning, but @raleedy have you confirmed that on "Auto" and in fog there are no tail lights? If the car has turned the lights on, I'm pretty certain regardless of reason the tail lights wold be on as well.
The original problem posted is that, in fog, Auto doesn’t turn the lights on at all. So in that state no tail lights.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The light sensor doesn't know what fog is. It just keeps the lights off if it's bright enough.
As a side note you can turn fog lights on with just parking lights (and no headlights) if you set it that way, but it will of course default to auto the next time you get in.