Flat Tire

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hit a large rock near the side of the road last weekend. It dinged the rim but also tore the sidewall.:( Tire needed replacement

I called Tesla support and there were no loaner wheels available anywhere within 100 miles of San Diego. I had to have it towed in for service. Since they are closed on Sundays, I didn't get the car back until Tuesday (service center had no tires in stock). Tire was $300 plus tax, balancing, and labor ($100).

The roadside service was great as was the call support. They called all around trying to locate a loaner wheel but because the car is so new, there doesn't appear to be any available anywhere.

For those of you that don't know the normal operating procedure for a flat is they pre-stage wheels with the tow truck companies and in the case of a flat they swap the wheel. Your wheel is then sent to the service center for repair. When it is ready you schedule a service call to swap it out.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I hit a large rock near the side of the road last weekend. It dinged the rim but also tore the sidewall.:( Tire needed replacement

I called Tesla support and there were no loaner wheels available anywhere within 100 miles of San Diego. I had to have it towed in for service. Since they are closed on Sundays, I didn't get the car back until Tuesday (service center had no tires in stock). Tire was $300 plus tax, balancing, and labor ($100).

The roadside service was great as was the call support. They called all around trying to locate a loaner wheel but because the car is so new, there doesn't appear to be any available anywhere.

For those of you that don't know the normal operating procedure for a flat is they pre-stage wheels with the tow truck companies and in the case of a flat they swap the wheel. Your wheel is then sent to the service center for repair. When it is ready you schedule a service call to swap it out.
I just had a similar experience with a loaner Model S that had 19" rims. No loaner wheels in stock with any of the tow companies in NY.

Honestly, NY and CA are the two highest concentrations of Tesla ownership in the country. The Model S isn't a new car. Tesla needs to figure out a new system because when you don't have a spare nor include a can of runflat, the roadside assistance should work seamlessly.

mkg3

Country
Country
I've been searching for a good spare tire option for TM3. Has anyone bought or have experience with these guys? The kit is $350 with the carrying case.

https://modernspare.com/product/2017-2018-tesla-model-3-complete-kit-carrying-case-included/

You can chase down Hyundai Genesis 18x4 space saver spare and have been told that it fits but stowing in the vehicle is bit messy. Plus you'll need to have the hardware to change the tire itself, if no AAA or roadside assistance is available in time. So the cost difference is not all that great, I believe between the options.

Thoughts?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been searching for a good spare tire option for TM3. Has anyone bought or have experience with these guys? The kit is $350 with the carrying case.

https://modernspare.com/product/2017-2018-tesla-model-3-complete-kit-carrying-case-included/

You can chase down Hyundai Genesis 18x4 space saver spare and have been told that it fits but stowing in the vehicle is bit messy. Plus you'll need to have the hardware to change the tire itself, if no AAA or roadside assistance is available in time. So the cost difference is not all that great, I believe between the options.

Thoughts?
This looks promising! I live in an area with poor cell reception, so if I got a flat out here, it would be difficult for me to even reach roadside assistance.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always wondered how you get home in these cases. Does roadside drop you off at home and then take the car to the service center, or what?
And how do you get your car back?

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My situation was an outlier. It happened late on a Saturday and the the SC is closed until Monday.
I had AAA tow me home and on Sunday I had Tesla tow me to the service center.
My wife drove me to the SC to pick up the car on Tuesday.
The way it's suppose to work is the loaner tire system. (See OP.)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A word about the tire purchase, had a local Tesla representative be very honest about it. If you buy that expensive tire from Tesla you are just getting the tire, you still don't get any roadside for that price, etc. If you go buy the tire from Discount Tire or somewhere like that you can buy road hazard on them. If needed, Tesla could still bring you a replacement tire and change it and help you out and then you can get the other one repaired at Discount or perhaps even replace per Discount Tires policy (or other tire place) if you've ruined it. Apparently you can even go to Discount Tire and purchase a tire policy on the new factory tires.

It was also reported that Discount Tire is very familiar with Tesla and know the jacking routine and are careful to use only the jack points, etc.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do we need a AAA on top of Tesla provided towing service? Can Tesla bring us back to home after two to the service center? Just curious
Here is an update about service center calls. I have a minor issue (rear truck open button stopped working) and called customer service to find out about my options concerning transportation home. When taking your car to a service center they will offer you a loaner Tesla, if they have none they will offer a rental car or they will call an Uber. I was told they pick up the cost of the rental or Uber.

It turns out my trunk button issue qualifies for their mobile repair service. I am awaiting a callback to set up a time when they will come to my office to repair the car. So far I'm pretty impressed with the customer support agents I've spoken with.

UPDATE:
I just received an email from a Tesla Mobile Service adviser. They have ordered a new switch and will schedule a repair when it arrives. Great service.

Last edited:

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do we need a AAA on top of Tesla provided towing service? Can Tesla bring us back to home after two to the service center? Just curious
Given the price of AAA, I think this is a good deal and worth the extra protection.