Flat Tire - Model X - Pennsylvania Rte. 80 near Blakeslee, PA

Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

liftsrock

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Yesterday, I was driving on I-80 in PA when I got a low tire pressure warning on left front tire, but fortunately I was able to slow down and get off I-80 at Rte. 115 Exit (Blakeslee) and into parking at a Sunoco station before the left front tire pressure got below 25 psi. Had hex head screw in tire tread. Tesla was good about staying in touch with me via text messages and could have sent a flatbed to take me wherever I wanted to go up to 50 miles, but fortunately I did not need them to do this. They said that because I was 80 miles from the Service Center, a loaner wheel would not be an option. The people at Sunoco said Jimmy's Auto Service was nearby, on the south side of the interchange and I used my 12-volt air compressor (have one in each car) to pump up the tire to about 32 psi to drive about 3/8 mile to Jimmy's where they plugged the tire for me for $10.00 and I was able to make it home to Cleveland, Ohio without further inconvenience. Jimmy's was very good to me and I left them a $10.00 tip for each employee on site. I dodged a bullet . . . could have been a mess if I'd had to have the car flat bedded . . . although Jimmy's does have a flat bed as well. Needless to say, in addition to the compressor I always carry, I will be going to auto parts store today to get three tire plug kits for the cars, just in case and also adding a couple more tools for screw/nail removal . . . hope I never need them.

Attachments

• Tesla_Screw_in_LF_Tire_Cropped.jpg
    Tesla_Screw_in_LF_Tire_Cropped.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: 5 people

Frully

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I really really should start carrying my inflator in the M3. Dislike the puncture, like your easy outcome!

liftsrock

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Yup . . . carry the inflator for sure. Today I purchased a Slime 1034-A 8-piece tire plug kit to carry in each of my cars as well as a good pair of pliers for pulling out nails/screws. Hope I never need this stuff, but seems like good "insurance". I have carried the inflators/compressors for many years in order to adjust tire pressures for air temp / slow rim leaks but gotta have the tire plug kit in case of a nail/screw. I'd much rather call for roadside assistance, but found out that you can't count on getting that very quickly.
Slime_Tire_Plug_Kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Those Slime plug kits periodically drop below $5 on Amazon.
They're kind of pricey right now.

1561548325372.png

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How do they plug through the foam? My guy refused.
You can plug it roadside whether there's foam or not.

But afterwards, you cut out a piece (or flap) of the foam, put a patch on the inside, then glue the foam back over the patch.

I don't understand why so many tire shops treat this foam as if it's some kind of magic and are afraid to touch it.

Reactions: jdfphoto

SBDawgs

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Yesterday, I was driving on I-80 in PA when I got a low tire pressure warning on left front tire, but fortunately I was able to slow down and get off I-80 at Rte. 115 Exit (Blakeslee) and into parking at a Sunoco station before the left front tire pressure got below 25 psi. Had hex head screw in tire tread. Tesla was good about staying in touch with me via text messages and could have sent a flatbed to take me wherever I wanted to go up to 50 miles, but fortunately I did not need them to do this. They said that because I was 80 miles from the Service Center, a loaner wheel would not be an option. The people at Sunoco said Jimmy's Auto Service was nearby, on the south side of the interchange and I used my 12-volt air compressor (have one in each car) to pump up the tire to about 32 psi to drive about 3/8 mile to Jimmy's where they plugged the tire for me for $10.00 and I was able to make it home to Cleveland, Ohio without further inconvenience. Jimmy's was very good to me and I left them a $10.00 tip for each employee on site. I dodged a bullet . . . could have been a mess if I'd had to have the car flat bedded . . . although Jimmy's does have a flat bed as well. Needless to say, in addition to the compressor I always carry, I will be going to auto parts store today to get three tire plug kits for the cars, just in case and also adding a couple more tools for screw/nail removal . . . hope I never need them.
F* me, just had tesla road assistance replaced my almost new tire for $430. There was no such option as patching according to the technician. Will definitely buy one of the repair kits.

Shilliard528

Plaid Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Good insight. I have the dual inflator and sealer from Tesla as well as a plug kit as listed earlier, I think I have to add is a pliers. thx

shareef777

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
On a related note I bought the Tesla compressor for my Y couple months ago. Went to use it last week to inflate a tube and it wouldn't turn on at all. Now I'm dreading having to reach out to Tesla about a simple compressor replacement (it's only two months old). Jeez their support is sooooo horrendous.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My bicycle pump continues to work perfectly. It's small, light, compact, and extremely reliable. Only drawback is the 15 pumps per pound of inflation, but for the very rare times it's needed, that's acceptable.

Shilliard528

Plaid Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
On a related note I bought the Tesla compressor for my Y couple months ago. Went to use it last week to inflate a tube and it wouldn't turn on at all. Now I'm dreading having to reach out to Tesla about a simple compressor replacement (it's only two months old). Jeez their support is sooooo horrendous.
maybe I should test mine. I have found the 3 SC I have contacted to be very helpful. Good luck.