Fixing "Push to Open" Charge Door Problem

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you can no longer "press to open" your charge port door (remember to unlock your car first), it is probably because this little piece inside the door fell out:

(Image from DaxM on YouTube.)

If you still have this piece, glue it back in with a flexible glue like epoxy or Gorilla glue. (Superglue is too brittle, the piece will fall out again when the door flexes.)

Tesla's current fix is to replace the entire charge port assembly, since they don't stock this little piece separately yet. That's a lot of trouble to go to for a feature that really only is needed when you charge with a non-Tesla charger that doesn't have an "open" button on the charge plug. If you always charge with Tesla equipment, you may not even know this piece is already missing!

The Fix

If you can't find this piece—or like me, never had it—I have a replacement that I would be happy to send you for free. It's a small black steel washer with high-strength VHB tape to hold it in place. Properly applied, it should work as well as the original. And it can be removed if necessary. And the best part? Free.

Instructions

To apply it, remove the red liner (honestly the hardest part) and try to center it in the trapezoidal pocket on the inside of the charge port door where your piece used to be.

Do a little testing. If your door closes when you push it shut and then immediately reopens (because when it latches, the door can waggle a little bit, looking like a press), re-position the new piece until it works correctly and stays closed when you nudge it closed.

That should fix it. Small feature, free fix.

Just send me an email with your mailing address to ChargePortFix@jollylogic.com.

Let me know how it works for you.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this post John! This happened to me this afternoon. When I opened the port door to charge after washing the car I heard something metallic hit the concrete. The exact part you show in the pic above is what I found. I'll try your Gorilla glue suggestion.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has never opened manually; always via screen, phone app and from Tesla charger handle.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you checked to see if that piece is missing on your car's charge port door?
I suspect it never existed. There is no glue residue on the inside of the door anywhere that I can detect. Not sure exactly where this mysterious magnet would be positioned - a pic would help.

From Day 1 when the "delivery specialaist" was demonstrating stuff on the car, he used the inside screen to open the charge door.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an error icon (little red circle with an exclamation mark) and the message that pops up when I click it says "The charge port may not open when pressed". Well it's correct. I got excited that it might be a simple fix when I found this thread, but unfortunately, my magnet/target is in place and the door still doesn't open manually. I've only had the car for ~7 weeks, and I think this problem started ~4 weeks in.

Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying since I use my adapter with a standard J1772 charger at work. The soonest service appointment (Costa Mesa service center) was ~6weeks out. I'll try to remember to update when this gets resolved in case someone else has a similar issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an error icon (little red circle with an exclamation mark) and the message that pops up when I click it says "The charge port may not open when pressed". Well it's correct. I got excited that it might be a simple fix when I found this thread, but unfortunately, my magnet/target is in place and the door still doesn't open manually. I've only had the car for ~7 weeks, and I think this problem started ~4 weeks in.

Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying since I use my adapter with a standard J1772 charger at work. The soonest service appointment (Costa Mesa service center) was ~6weeks out. I'll try to remember to update when this gets resolved in case someone else has a similar issue.
Late update, but mobile service ended up replacing the whole charge port assembly in ~30 minutes. No issues since 👍

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow! I was wondering why the push to open wasn’t working. I’m missing the piece! This totally solves the mystery. You still have those washers available?

f656b5b8-415d-49bf-8fd7-b01f799e9f60-jpeg.27180

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow! I was wondering why the push to open wasn’t working. I’m missing the piece! This totally solves the mystery. You still have those washers available?
Yep, just drop me an email to ChargePortFix@jollylogic.com and I'll mail you a couple.
Read the directions above and be sure to test. Location matters. Mine still works fine!