First week and flat tire. What to do?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took Delivery of my Model 3 DM last week. Just woke up this morning to find a screw in my rear right tire. I am inflating it now to see if i can drive it to a nearby tire shop, but I wanted to know from everyone if it is worth taking it (or getting it towed) to the service center for this work instead? Thoughts?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Take it to your nearest trusted tire shop. Make sure 1: They are aware that the tires have noise reducing foam, and 2: They have the appropriate jack pucks to avoid damage while jacking.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No- find your nearest tire shop you trust. It is a tire. Tesla will take care of you, but maybe at some high costs or they might do it for free since it is your first week, but it is not a warranty item. They have nothing special with tires.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like you’re in San Diego. I would find the nearest America’s Tire and ask them the get the acoustic tire for you. I had similar work done at America’s tire recently. I did provide my own pucks for jacking the car. However, many shops have their own. Just remind them to make sure and use them. Also, since your tires are still new, they will sell you a tire warranty for the four tires at a reasonable cost. If you have their warranty, they will replace tires for free in the event that they are not repairable.

Meg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a nail in my tire.
Called 1800 # (my service center is >100 miles away). no help but nice.
Txtd my Tesla Ranger: Ordered new tire & had it shipped to me. (I ordered a new wheel to have a spare too). It was going to take three days, back-order.

Therefore, I got a new tire at NTB: 235/40R19 96V A/S CONTINENTAL PROCONTACT TIRE. It is the same tire BUT without the Tesla Noise reducing Foam. I gave NTB the diagram from the Manual on how to lift the Car properly. Plus, the proper torque number.

The Tesla Tire 235/40R19 96W A/S CONTINENTAL PROCONTACT RX TIRE (1044255-00-A): was only $20 more. Once the Tesla Tire & Wheel came in, I had NTB change out my "new spare" with the new Tesla Tire.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took Delivery of my Model 3 DM last week. Just woke up this morning to find a screw in my rear right tire. I am inflating it now to see if i can drive it to a nearby tire shop, but I wanted to know from everyone if it is worth taking it (or getting it towed) to the service center for this work instead? Thoughts?
You’ve probably handled this by now but, if not, pump up the tire to 45-50 psi and drive cautiously to Discount Tire if you have one nearby (swipe left at the bottom of your screen and pull up the tire psi screen). You might have to wait a little while but they’ll work you in.

Assuming the screw is approximately 1” from the sidewall (next time pic would be helpful), they will break the tire off the rim and install a plug/patch combo which is approved by Michelin and Continental. Best part, it’s completely free. Had it done last week on my Ridgeline. Pretty sure they’ve seen a Tesla tire by now but, if not, just tell them to cut foam away.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone. Wound up having my local guy do the foam cut an patch. (they were pretty confused for a minute about the foam, but figured it out.) Will certainly go to America's tire for replacement if needed, but this way my whole day wasn't ruined. What is the best place to buy the pucks?

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is the best place to buy the pucks?
The most popular one seems to be the Reverse Logic pads. They're available at their website and on ebay. You'll also find a couple of other designs on ebay from other sellers for a little less.

If you're willing to pick up a few parts, you can make one from a hockey puck, screw and rubber bumper. There are threads here about making one, and they end up costing several bucks each, which is a decent savings. And, as the earlier poster noted, there are folks who are making and selling their own (I can't vouch for that, I made my own).

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI I read on another thread that a plug/patch combo would not hold on a Tesla tire due to not getting a good seal because of residue under the foam pad. Possibly just not prepped correctly by the tire shop, but the shop informed the customer sorry you need a new tire. So if I get a flat I may lean toward the old fashioned tire snake plug and leave it at that or if I have a tire shop do it, tip the guy extra to prep the patch area extra well. I've seen the grinders they use to rough up the tire and there is no reason this couldn't completely remove the foam and any residue from the inside of the tire.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI I read on another thread that a plug/patch combo would not hold on a Tesla tire due to not getting a good seal because of residue under the foam pad. Possibly just not prepped correctly by the tire shop, but the shop informed the customer sorry you need a new tire. So if I get a flat I may lean toward the old fashioned tire snake plug and leave it at that or if I have a tire shop do it, tip the guy extra to prep the patch area extra well. I've seen the grinders they use to rough up the tire and there is no reason this couldn't completely remove the foam and any residue from the inside of the tire.
I watched the repair guy grind all the adhesive off. So I have high hopes the patch will hold. He did a good job. Worst case is I have to buy a tire I guess.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI I read on another thread that a plug/patch combo would not hold on a Tesla tire due to not getting a good seal because of residue under the foam pad. Possibly just not prepped correctly by the tire shop, but the shop informed the customer sorry you need a new tire.
Yep. Or to put it another way, the tire shop didn't want to put in the effort to prep it, because it takes time and they would have to charge larger labor hours to complete the job.

The acoustic foam is new to many of these tire shops. It's going to become more popular, so hopefully tire shops will get better at dealing with it eventually.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not so much a conflict as an opportunity to make money on a new tire, with mounting, balancing, etc.
Ah, I see. I thought you meant they would charge more to prep the tire properly so they wouldn't do that. Rather, they will charge even more for tire, mounting, balancing etc.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cost me $20. So pretty good for a shop that didn't sell me the tire or have any warranty. But I have bought other tires from them before.
For future reference, most tire shops provide this type of flat repair for absolutely free whether you've purchased tires from them or not. America's Tire and Discount Tire definitely work this way.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For future reference, most tire shops provide this type of flat repair for absolutely free whether you've purchased tires from them or not. America's Tire and Discount Tire definitely work this way.
OTOH, sometimes it's nice to give the local guy $20 if they've been dependable in the past.