First video of a performance Model 3!?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A tipster sent me a video last night...

I got a report a couple of days ago of a black Model 3 with red brake callipers being tested at the Fremont track. Person said they were also testing other Model 3s but this one was noticeably faster at the acceleration run spot. There's been some speculation on the internet this was staged but I can say first-hand when they were still testing the release candidates back in the summer they always stopped at this spot and did acceleration runs.

I will say this: this car seems a LOT quicker than the Long Range model I was in :)

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts.

SolarPro

Country
Country
Very excited about this if true. I hope someone has the ability/time to calculate that 0-60! I don’t even know if that’s possible from that video, but it looks really quick.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well I should be supremely freaking out at this potential first sighting of the mighty P, however I will try to remain calm, rational, etc...
In fact I'm going to go way out on a limb and play devil's advocate for a minute, in the hopes I am proven completely wrong.
It's just that no one I've seen comment anywhere so far suggest that this might simply be a regular dual motor. We know that just adding the front motor makes an otherwise same spec MS substantially quicker. In absence of any radar or video frame-distance reference data we really don't know how much faster this car is than the RWD. If it's four-point-something seconds to 60 this could just be a Dual. If it's hitting three-point-something, then I'd believe it's the real deal.
All that being said, those are definitely red calipers. And those are also definitely 20" wheels. If we could confirmed they're staggered 20" then I'd say this might very well be it, data be damned.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would guess from the video, this may be in 4 sec range or they may not be testing in Ludicrous mode.

This is just me eyeballing and going by watching 100s of 0-60 sec Model S launches from 3.6 to 2.5 sec. lol

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing to keep in mind is that the difference, at least on the S and X, between the ‘black calipers’ and the P version ‘red calipers’ is the caliper paint color. Nothing more. All the red does is differentiate the P version.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So if they're already testing the P version, and the P version is supposed to be released after the D version, then I'd say this bodes well for the current status of the D... It seems well within the realm of possibility that some of the other 3s on the track were actually Ds.

BTW, is there anyone here with dog/bat ears that can confirm or deny the presence of two distinct motor-whines in this video, rather than just one? :)

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Am I the only person worried that they might end up bundling P with D - that the only way to get D is to also buy P? :( Or worse, only buy P + D + LR?

I don't think they will, but I'm worried that they might. Thus pricing us normal people in cold climates out of being able to get AWD.

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Am I the only person worried that they might end up bundling P with D - that the only way to get D is to also buy P? :( Or worse, only buy P + D + LR?

I don't think they will, but I'm worried that they might. Thus pricing us normal people in cold climates out of being able to get AWD.
I dont see that happening. However I can expect Model 3 RWD to become obsolete in the future just like Model S.

I think Tesla wants to make AWD powertrain period. Just like the Subarus.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

No need to worry, Elon was pretty clear when he announced that dual motor would be available sometime around the end of the year (subject to ramp, obviously) in the U.S. but P would only be next summer. Will they force dual to be paired with LR? Maybe initially, but not long term. S and X both offer a choice of battery size with dual motor and I see no reason why they won't continue to do that with the 3. In fact I agree with @samson that long term I can see them ditching the RWD, making it only more likely that you'll have a choice of dual motor with regular or LR battery.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
No need to worry, Elon was pretty clear when he announced that dual motor would be available sometime around the end of the year (subject to ramp, obviously) in the U.S. but P would only be next summer
He also made clear that there would be a trailer hitch option. Then when asked about it later, he said no (although his "no" was ambiguous as to whether he was talking about "now" or "ever")

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So if they're already testing the P version, and the P version is supposed to be released after the D version, then I'd say this bodes well for the current status of the D... It seems well within the realm of possibility that some of the other 3s on the track were actually Ds.

BTW, is there anyone here with dog/bat ears that can confirm or deny the presence of two distinct motor-whines in this video, rather than just one? :)
It's possible for P and D to arrive at the same time.

mkg3

Country
Country
Am I the only person worried that they might end up bundling P with D - that the only way to get D is to also buy P? :( Or worse, only buy P + D + LR?.......

I think its highly possible that D will only be available on LR and its possible that LR only comes with D, but P will be an option.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think its highly possible that D will only be available on LR and its possible that LR only comes with D, but P will be an option.
I take it you mean in the future right?

First production cars are LR and RWD...

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
That seems the least likely option to me. "P" and "LR" are at least logically connected (you need a lot of power for good performance). But there's no connection at all between "LR" and "D".

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's possible for P and D to arrive at the same time.
I keep thinking of that as a distinct possibility, but then I think back to Elon's tweet about the performance config just after the launch party, and his recent tweet about SAS being linked to AWD, and note that these statements entail two different timeline estimates for dual-motor and performance. If he had made those comments over a year ago, before production planning had been finalized, I would have put less faith in them... but 1-2 months ago seems recent enough to be considered an accurate representation of his thinking.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Not sure if you’re the only one, yet I feel it is most likely an unjustified concern. There are clearly three notches here, RWD, Dual Motor and Performance. There is going to be a substantial number of demand (reservation holders and beyond) for D versions from folks who would never pay the sizeable chunk of extra €/$/£ for a P Model 3 which will be reserved to a blessed minority of cash rich enthusiasts! :)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
A tipster sent me a video last night...

I got a report a couple of days ago of a black Model 3 with red brake callipers being tested at the Fremont track. Person said they were also testing other Model 3s but this one was noticeably faster at the acceleration run spot. There's been some speculation on the internet this was staged but I can say first-hand when they were still testing the release candidates back in the summer they always stopped at this spot and did acceleration runs.

I will say this: this car seems a LOT quicker than the Long Range model I was in :)

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts.

I think this is very nice yet not as fast as one could have expected from a true ‘P’ Model 3. This looks more like 4.3-4.5 seconds than sub-4. Pretty fast of course already. Out of my € league so will stay on the fence... ;)

Country
Country
Here's a good, unbiased review released today by OCDetailing:

The handling seems wonderous, good cornering and such from that motortrend article that came out as well. Pretty stoked!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a good, unbiased review released today by OCDetailing:

The handling seems wonderous, good cornering and such from that motortrend article that came out as well. Pretty stoked!
I wouldn't call it unbiased as he now has a pretty solid track record for spreading mis-information to those who may not know. I would say this wasn't so so bad, but still some questionable comments. I did enjoy seeing things though.