First time!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

vertexpd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My first posting to this site.
I own a M3 for a year now. I also am searching for a good excuse to justify my Cybertruck order from last month... I guess I have a year or two to find one.
I have many questions with regards to FSD, phone tethering, accessory and more... maybe this is the place to start asking these questions...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Better to do a search as they likely have all already been answered...
@vertexpd, it's certainly worth performing a search to find threads on the topics that interest you. But if you can't quickly locate a specific answer, then yes, feel free to ask a question in a follow-up post to this thread. Some of us have more experience searching the forums for the answers you seek, and we'll help. :)

vertexpd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About the FSD; I ordered it for my M3... since this is, in effect, a switch on/off for Tesla HQ, will we be able to transfer the license of the FSD from one car to the other?
When getting the FSD we are actually buying a "seat" or "License" to use a piece of software. I would not be surprised if all Teslas will have the software installed by an OTA updates, and only those who paid for it will have it enabled.

So the questions is, if I have more than 1 Tesla, will I be able to use the FSD on both (both under the same account) but only one at a time? (like a floating License if you will... we have this option in CAD software)
Will I be able to transfer this License from my old Tesla to a new one?

Basically the FSD software is an asset. It is an expensive asset and I would like (I am sure many would as well..) to be able to apply this asset to any of the future Teslas down the line.

I can already see the NO! answer to all of my questions, but it doesn't have to be this way does it? What will be the right way to get Tesla to actually consider this option?
Does anyone else think of this as a good option to have?

AC

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About the FSD; I ordered it for my M3... since this is, in effect, a switch on/off for Tesla HQ, will we be able to transfer the license of the FSD from one car to the other?
When getting the FSD we are actually buying a "seat" or "License" to use a piece of software. I would not be surprised if all Teslas will have the software installed by an OTA updates, and only those who paid for it will have it enabled.

So the questions is, if I have more than 1 Tesla, will I be able to use the FSD on both (both under the same account) but only one at a time? (like a floating License if you will... we have this option in CAD software)
Will I be able to transfer this License from my old Tesla to a new one?

Basically the FSD software is an asset. It is an expensive asset and I would like (I am sure many would as well..) to be able to apply this asset to any of the future Teslas down the line.

I can already see the NO! answer to all of my questions, but it doesn't have to be this way does it? What will be the right way to get Tesla to actually consider this option?

AC
Absolutely not. Tesla has already screwed over a buyer who had her car totaled about a month after she bought it, wanted to buy another new Tesla, and Tesla wouldn't transfer over FSD.

FSD is not just an electronic asset. There is also an upgraded hardware for older cars, although if you are getting a newer car, it should already be in there.

Yet one more reason I felt no need to pay for FSD.

vertexpd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Absolutely not. Tesla has already screwed over a buyer who had her car totaled about a month after she bought it, wanted to buy another new Tesla, and Tesla wouldn't transfer over FSD.

FSD is not just an electronic asset. There is also an upgraded hardware for older cars, although if you are getting a newer car, it should already be in there.

Yet one more reason I felt no need to pay for FSD.

This is exactly what we need to make them change!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but it doesn't have to be this way does it? What will be the right way to get Tesla to actually consider this option?
Theoretically, it should be possible. But if you were to tie FSD to an individual instead of to a car, think about the repercussions.
  • Tesla now has to detect which car is being driven in order to "allow" FSD on that particular vehicle.
  • What if both cars are being driven? How does it decide?
  • What if a car is being driven by someone other than the owner of FSD?
  • What if I - an FSD owner - rent a Tesla on Turo? Should FSD follow me to that car? If so, how will Tesla figure that out?
  • When my relative (spouse, sibling, child) drives the Tesla, then they don't get to experience FSD.
In that case, insurance should have factored in the price of FSD in the settlement, so the buyer should have been duly compensated. Are you saying that this wasn't the case? If not, then that sounds more like her insurance screwed her over. Tesla has made it clear from the start that FSD follows the car.

vertexpd

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Theoretically, it should be possible. But if you were to tie FSD to an individual instead of to a car, think about the repercussions.
  • Tesla now has to detect which car is being driven in order to "allow" FSD on that particular vehicle.
  • What if both cars are being driven? How does it decide?
  • What if a car is being driven by someone other than the owner of FSD?
  • What if I - an FSD owner - rent a Tesla on Turo? Should FSD follow me to that car? If so, how will Tesla figure that out?
  • When my relative (spouse, sibling, child) drives the Tesla, then they don't get to experience FSD.
In that case, insurance should have factored in the price of FSD in the settlement, so the buyer should have been duly compensated. Are you saying that this wasn't the case? If not, then that sounds more like her insurance screwed her over. Tesla has made it clear from the start that FSD follows the car.
You can solve all these questions by linking the phone app of one user to the FSD. The same way the car knows which phone is connected and automatically adjust the seats and other settings.
Alternatively, the first car in the home fleet that activate the FSD is the one to use it. This is exactly how any other licences based floating seats in any advanced CAD software work. the detection by Tesla is the easy part, all cars are connected to Tesla... very easy.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can solve all these questions by linking the phone app of one user to the FSD. The same way the car knows which phone is connected and automatically adjust the seats and other settings.
Alternatively, the first car in the home fleet that activate the FSD is the one to use it. This is exactly how any other licences based floating seats in any advanced CAD software work. the detection by Tesla is the easy part, all cars are connected to Tesla... very easy.
I don't see this as a good idea though. I want my wife and kid to be able to drive the car and have FSD without having to give them my phone.