First things to do after delivery...

When I take delivery of my new Model 3, I want to

• Total voters

Robert Pickel

Country
Country
Maybe I'm obsessing, but I'd like to get the best body coat protection for my new Model 3 as soon as possible after I take ownership. What are other new owners considering doing? What have current owners done and how has it worked out for you? How much is reasonable to spend on this sort of feature?

Would like to hear what others consider worthwhile (especially in New England). Feel free to participate in the little poll below, too.

Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I'm obsessing, but I'd like to get the best body coat protection for my new Model 3 as soon as possible after I take ownership. What are other new owners considering doing? What have current owners done and how has it worked out for you? How much is reasonable to spend on this sort of feature?

Would like to hear what others consider worthwhile (especially in New England). Feel free to participate in the little poll below, too.

Thanks!
I’ll be going for a drive up the beach, show it off to my boss (behind me on the estimator), and then off for window tint. I’m unlikely to do anything as far as expensive paint protection is concerned.

Mix in somewhere a photoshoot with my dad’s Model S since we’ll be Midnight Silver twins and will both take off work.

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had clear bras installed on my last few cars, much as I would like them done ASAP it has always been at least a few nervous weeks after delivery. Some say the paint needs time to cure anyway but unless you are getting the cars within days of it being painted I don't think that's really an issue.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just intend on washing it when I can, and waxing about twice a year. I've never been dinged on trade-in for having a few rock chips here and there.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll be wrapping that awful piano black interior trim the first weekend and getting tint applied pretty quickly but not necessarily on day 1. Dash cam install will probably happen the first night though. Probably no special paint protection (barring doing it myself), I’ve decided, unless i can get a great deal on opticoat when I get the tint done.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I voted for "Take it straight to the nearest Opti-Coat Dealer" however I'll be doing the job myself. As I've detailed on several other post it's easy, works great, and only cost around $80 instead of over $1000 from a dealer. I still have not decided on the clear bra but I will have some window tint done.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I'm a mechanic, I'll do what I do best in the first few weeks: dismantle!
I like to see how things are put together so off goes the wheel liners and a few more trims and on goes rust proofing in every crevices I can see.
Now people reading my posts will say I'm a little bit anal about rust...well...they are right!
Anyway, I am currently testing a ceramic coating that I applied on my daily driver. Up to now, for 80$, it seems like a decent stuff to apply to brand new car. Since I should get my 3 at the end of 2018, I still have some time to evaluate the product.

Maybe I live a little bit out there but can somebody explain the hype about dash cams ?

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I live a little bit out there but can somebody explain the hype about dash cams ?
People drive like jackasses and I want to be able to prove an accident wasn't my fault and/or get documentation for if there's a hit and run. Also video of all the idiotic crap I see on the roads for amusement value. Hell, even just the audio recording for the (hopefully infrequent) police interactions and the potential to prove innocence in court if needed (again, hopefully not something I have to worry about).

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like what I guessed but that's really the first thing that comes to mind buying a new car? Buying a camera?
Understand me well, there is no judgment at all here, it's just plain sad.
Hope we both enjoy driving our new T3 soon anyway!

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
People drive like jackasses and I want to be able to prove an accident wasn't my fault and/or get documentation for if there's a hit and run. Also video of all the idiotic crap I see on the roads for amusement value. Hell, even just the audio recording for the (hopefully infrequent) police interactions and the potential to prove innocence in court if needed (again, hopefully not something I have to worry about).
This! I have a dash cam in both of my cars for all those reasons and more.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
As I'm a mechanic, I'll do what I do best in the first few weeks: dismantle!
I like to see how things are put together so off goes the wheel liners and a few more trims and on goes rust proofing in every crevices I can see.
Now people reading my posts will say I'm a little bit anal about rust...well...they are right!
Anyway, I am currently testing a ceramic coating that I applied on my daily driver. Up to now, for 80$, it seems like a decent stuff to apply to brand new car. Since I should get my 3 at the end of 2018, I still have some time to evaluate the product.

you may want to dig through this thread. it contains some examples of why a dashcam has its reasons to be.
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/dash-camera-conversations.757/

and here is a little footage of myself (recording not driving):
just recorded this today on our companies parking lot with my DR750S-2CH. little bump only. camera was in parking mode.
*nobody was hurt*

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like what I guessed but that's really the first thing that comes to mind buying a new car? Buying a camera?
Understand me well, there is no judgment at all here, it's just plain sad.
Hope we both enjoy driving our new T3 soon anyway!
It's not that I particularly *want* to install one but I'd never, ever forgive myself if there was an incident that the camera could have helped for and I hadn't installed it yet.

The reality is that I'm gonna be driving it around all day on the first day, and then I'll get home, won't be able to sleep because I'm too excited about this wait finally being over, wanting to go play with it more… and installing the camera will give me something to do.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not that I particularly *want* to install one but I'd never, ever forgive myself if there was an incident that the camera could have helped for and I hadn't installed it yet.

The reality is that I'm gonna be driving it around all day on the first day, and then I'll get home, won't be able to sleep because I'm too excited about this wait finally being over, wanting to go play with it more… and installing the camera will give me something to do.
Hopefully soon enough the built in cameras will be able to help with this seamlessly!

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Living in a salt-on-the-roads country, I will be rust proofing all crevices and coating the underbody (because of the combination of aluminium and steel in the body). Also ceramic coating for the lacquer.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That'd be pretty cool, but to be honest I don't see that necessarily becoming a feature that'd be usable in quite the same way for me. Possible, though.
I don’t know — kind of neat if you could check in from the app while your car is “off” and also play back video while the car was driving.

I do it with my home security system — this would be pretty cool for a car security system!

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t know — kind of neat if you could check in from the app while your car is “off” and also play back video while the car was driving.

I do it with my home security system — this would be pretty cool for a car security system!
Yeah if we get more advanced capabilities it’d be of interest. Also needs to be high res footage though.