Question First Road Trip, Don't Understand Navigation Output, Can't Drive Tesla?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Taking my first road trip this weekend in our 2019 Model 3 AWD we have about 1,000 city miles on. I put in a 220 mile trip at 90% SOC and it shows I would finish with -15% battery. (so 5-6% negative once I full charge it). There are unfortunately no super chargers on the way, but it's surprising to me it's so short of it's 310 advertised range on an all highway trip. What is it using to determine this number? If it's my recent driving habits I could understand it since it's all just sitting in traffic stop and go city miles, but if it's taking the route into account is it basically telling me I can't take the Tesla?

Thanks for any help I need to make other arrangements if it truly can't go this distance. It's basically telling me it can only go 200 miles.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Taking my first road trip this weekend in our 2019 Model 3 AWD we have about 1,000 city miles on. I put in a 220 mile trip at 90% SOC and it shows I would finish with -15% battery. (so 5-6% negative once I full charge it). There are unfortunately no super chargers on the way, but it's surprising to me it's so short of it's 310 advertised range on an all highway trip. What is it using to determine this number? If it's my recent driving habits I could understand it since it's all just sitting in traffic stop and go city miles, but if it's taking the route into account is it basically telling me I can't take the Tesla?

Thanks for any help I need to make other arrangements if it truly can't go this distance. It's basically telling me it can only go 200 miles.
Something here doesn't add up. I drive a performance model and have driven as much as 350 miles on a full charge. I've done about 18,000 miles is road trips, and my typical leg is 200-220 miles using about 75% of range. Your post leads me to believe that you have the LR battery. Is that true? At your 90% charge how many miles of range are indicated? While it's not unusual for real world range to fall short of rated range, it should be much closer than you indicate. Your recent driving habits do not affect what the nav would predict on a future trip. Just out of curiousity, what is your lifetime wh/m? Sorry I have more questions than answers, but maybe additional info will lead someone here toward the answers you seek.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Are you sure you weren't looking at the round trip calculation?

edit: select your car model and punch your trip into abetterrouteplanner.com. That will give you the right answer and reassurance.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you use “a better route planner” by chance? Link. I’ve come to use it before trips and really trust it. But you have to be accurate with the fill in areas. Please see this quick screen grab for the info it needs in order to calculate your trip.
6485c6c7-e7de-4e73-89f8-56be113441fb-png.27571

Some key things to select/fill out.
You mention AWD...19s or 18s?
Max speed? (This has a big impact, I try to stay around 77 as my max)
Temp, wind, road conditions (raining? Takes more juice)
Extra weight. Guesstimate luggage...my experience is this is a minor impact but worth filling in.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's definitely telling you something that you are missing. It's just about as if it is a SR battery.
Take a look at the route, how many miles does it show? Are you sure you aren't reading the return to start number?
What's the range of the car shown right now?
I don't think that there is any direction that you can go that would have a significant altitude change.

I'm guessing that your trip is from Tyler to Austin. There's no Superchargers along the way, but it should reroute you to Waco if needed, but it shouldn't be needed. I can't find any route from Tyler that doesn't have a Supercharger somewhat on the way. Shreveport, Nacogdoches, Texarkana, Dallas, Sulfur Springs all would be available stops for charging with slight rerouting.

More info will definitely help.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll try the alternate planner mentioned above, but here’s what it says. I charged it to 100% for accurate numbers.

2019 M3 AWD LR. Aero Wheels. Shows 309 Miles.

Round trip (because it is, but not sure ho to navigate it that way it just has estimate at bottom):
Tyler Texas to DFW airport and back. 116 miles, battery at destination 47%. Round trip estimate -8%, 232 miles.

Does not seem to be a big elevation change. Lifetime wh/m is 282, but as I said that would be different driving from this trip and posts said that wasn’t taken into account.

Thanks!!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While you're waiting for more helpful input, go drive at least 20 miles. Leaving your charge at 100% for an extended period can be detrimental to your battery.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll try the alternate planner mentioned above, but here’s what it says. I charged it to 100% for accurate numbers.

Round trip (because it is, but not sure ho to navigate it that way it just has estimate at bottom):
Tyler Texas to DFW airport and back. 116 miles, battery at destination 47%. Round trip estimate -8%, 232 miles.

Does not seem to be a big elevation change. Lifetime wh/m is 282, but as I said that would be different driving from this trip and posts said that wasn’t taken into account.

Thanks!!
You've got a charger pretty much perfect on your trip if you'll take the North end (635) around Dallas, it's about 3 miles South on 75 at Walnut Hill and 75. It is an Urban charger. You can drop down 3 miles to the charger and back to 635, or just head on down 75 to downtown and then back East. Figure you'd charge on your way home vs on your way to the airport. Either way will work depending on your timing.

In an AWD with a 232 mile trip in the summer - I'd say keep it to 75 max and you won't have a problem. In the winter if you drive 75 I would agree you won't make it round trip, but no need to worry with the Walnut Hill charger. I think it is listed as The Hill. There is a good coffee shop and dining spots there.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks!!
I would leave at 90% and stop to charge at a supercharger. Quite a few surrounding DFW. I’ll see about punching your data into ABRP.
af3b30b3-b971-4e5b-b37f-251ebf068174-png.27575

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While you're waiting for more helpful input, go drive at least 20 miles. Leaving your charge at 100% for and extended period can be detrimental to your battery.
Just for comparison, I entered a comparable roundtrip in my car just now. Since the trip is a roundtrip, elevation changes are minimally important. My car currently shows SOC of 255 miles or 86% which translates to a full charge range of 297 miles. The trip I entered is 115 miles each way for 230 miles total. Leaving at 86%, the NAV shows arrival at 45% and return at 4%. I would comfortably leave on this trip at this SOC if necessary(although, I'd prefer to charge to near 100% if possible). I know that I can manipulate my range by slowing down, and that the car will warn me if I need to. I don't understand why your car is indicating such wildly different data. I think that there is a bug in the NAV system, or(dare I say) user error.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Note: just dropped a pin in the middle of Tyler. Also, forecast 87 Saturday and 91 Sunday...so I averaged and went 89... theres a chance of rain so I picked raining. Wind forecasted 10-20mph...I went low with 10mph. Have you leaving at 90% charge, keeping it 77mph or under and having it not let you arrive anywhere under 15% ... added 100 pounds of weight for no reason and since your car is relatively new I did 1% battery degradation .....looks like a short stop at Arlington makes this a cake walk :)
adef2a1f-1d78-4f2f-860b-a876afed23b4-png.27576
b0c9ca6e-f271-4f93-90e5-2a9351aca44d-png.27577

Edit: also the wh/mile are high at 263 if you ask me...just another buffer in the calculations I use.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You've got a charger pretty much perfect on your trip if you'll take the North end (635) around Dallas, it's about 3 miles South on 75 at Walnut Hill and 75.
@athomas61: Or swing down Hwy 360 to the Arlington Convention Center Tesla Supercharger for a fast charge on the way back to Tyler. That would be my preferred route. The car knows where it is, but coming from I-30 it gives you a bogus final direction: the chargers are not on the left; it's a right turn just past the Convention Center, then it's on your left.

Don't use the Fort Worth charger near Montgomery Plaza, because it's AFAIK still out of commission and is a slower urban charger anyway.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The FW supercharger is still out of commission, it would also be out of the way.

I also made an assumption in my head you were just dropping someone off or picking them up, that was my thought for charging after on the way home, you were just making a turn. If you are parking and leaving the car there a few days I might consider charging before hand so you know it is charged up and has plenty to sit for a few days for Overheat Protection and Sentry to have some drain and likely enough to get back home or enough back to a charger for sure for 10 minutes and then home.

I want to circle back to your first post too, this is a small issue with the car. If you couldn't make it to your destination it would route you to a charger along the way, but it doesn't consider the full round trip. Once you got to your destination of the airport and then put your destination in of home it would route you to a charger on the way back home. The fallacy here and you found it, what if there wasn't a charger along your route back home, you would be SOL. In this case there are multiple chargers and it would route you to the best one, but in some cases there aren't, so you are smart to plan and consider the whole trip, not just one leg of it at a time.

Will the car be parked at the airport a few days or just doing a turn?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used Tesla's own trip planner (https://www.tesla.com/trips) to look up Tyler, TX to DFW and back. It suggested charging for 15 minutes at the Arlington supercharger.

I also looked up DFW at Plugshare.com. There are quite a few J1772 chargers in the area - which aren't as fast as superchargers, but we're only talking about a few miles margin to make sure you get home. I've never been able to get in and out of an airport in less than 30-60 minutes, which would hopefully give you more than enough extra charge.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks!!

Okay, so, what happening is that you can absolutely positively make it to your destination. The car doesn't support multi-point navigation, so it's not really thinking about the trip back home. Once you get to the airport and enter home to return to, it will then see that you can't make it and recommend a charger to stop at. You can emulate this by getting the car to calculate a trip when it is at 50% charge at home, point to the airport then.

If you are going on a trip, look around for some parking that may have charging capabilities. A 120V 15A plug is all that you will need, as just 24 hours should bring you back to full. We've got a couple airport parking places in Atlanta that do. We've got one that has a whole wall ~50 plugs dedicated for EVs.

So, you've got plenty of options and the car will take care of you, but you have to understand what the car is telling you. If you can charge while parking, you'll probably want to decide whether to charge on the way to the airport or on the way home (don't forget a little phantom drain each day if on a trip).

Looking at Plugshare.com, quickly, the Terminal E garage has 20 120V plugs available.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Taking my first road trip this weekend in our 2019 Model 3 AWD we have about 1,000 city miles on. I put in a 220 mile trip at 90% SOC and it shows I would finish with -15% battery. (so 5-6% negative once I full charge it).
You already have lots of responses with good advice, but I wanted to chime in that yes, I’ve seen an unreasonably low estimate on SOC by the nav system. At times it makes sense as an extrapolation of current Wh/mile, but I’ve also seen it when I could come up with no reasonable explanation. I have over 30,000 “Tesla miles” experience and am in the midst of a >3000 mile trip. I recently had one instance where the car initially estimated I would arrive at my location with less than 5%. After about 50 miles, the estimate slowly increased and I arrived at >20% SOC. Other times the nav system estimate is spot on from the get go. So I always do my own sanity check of what my efficiency (actual miles/rated miles) would have to be for the nav estimate to be true. For me, 85% efficiency is a conservatively low estimate for summer months. So I am very comfortable that my 310 mile rated car can go at least 263 miles, and usually a good bit further.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, so, what happening is that you can absolutely positively make it to your destination. The car doesn't support multi-point navigation, so it's not really thinking about the trip back home. Once you get to the airport and enter home to return to, it will then see that you can't make it and recommend a charger to stop at. You can emulate this by getting the car to calculate a trip when it is at 50% charge at home, point to the airport then.
His concern is that it's only 232 miles round trip, his car should be able to do 309 per the Tesla Range Guess-O-Meter, yet the in-car trip planner says he can't:

Does not seem to be a big elevation change.
You can make this round trip on a single charge, but you'll be going uncomfortably slowly, especially if it's a hot/cold/windy/rainy day. Not to mention putting unnecessary wear on the battery. Faced with this trip on a good weather day, I'd start with a charge at 80%, drive to the airport, then charge up in Arlington enough to get me home with a comfortable margin (10-20%). There are no awards for skipping Superchargers. That I know of.;)