First Model 3 in Iceland!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Haven't seen it personally yet, but I'll have my eyes peeled!

US spec, of course. That person must have been really desperate to get their Model 3 early, given that you can't use CHAdeMO with Model 3s at present, and there's no supercharger network here (and even when they build the supercharger network here, it'll use the European connector). Only AC charging for this one!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@KarenRei , take it as a sign of progress, yours will get there, next year for sure!! Now we need to get T≡SLA to install at that first Supercharger for ya!!

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@KarenRei hi, just curious, since I assume Iceland is in the Other Europe category, have you been able to configure? I seem to remember you may be holding for the SR, yet interested to know if the Design Studio opened up for ya?

Gott kvöld!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haven't seen it personally yet, but I'll have my eyes peeled!

US spec, of course. That person must have been really desperate to get their Model 3 early, given that you can't use CHAdeMO with Model 3s at present, and there's no supercharger network here (and even when they build the supercharger network here, it'll use the European connector). Only AC charging for this one!
Sorry, but I'm really ignorant about electricity around the world, but I also know Iceland isn't real big. With the range of the car, just where and how far would you go not being able to get back home and charge overnight? Or have access to some sort of electricity to be able to charge a couple of hours to get back home? Is there nothing compatible that would allow the car to charge at near the rates we get at home here in the US - about 10 hours for a full charge at home each night?.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope you get your car soon.

What's the longest distance anyone would likely drive in Iceland? Is there any need for chargers? I may be wrongly assuming everyone can charge at home.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Longest distance in a single leg of a trip, rather than a whole road trip? Probably something like Meiri Bakki (NW of Bolungarvík) to Úlfsstaðir (S of Bakkagerði). 923km, 11 hours. A more realistic long trip would be, say a person in Bolungarvík wanting to go to the music festival Bræðslan, in Borgarfjörður Eystri - 869km, 10 hours. For trips between Reykjavík and "regional hubs" on the Ring Road, the longest would be with Egilsstaðir, ~650km, 7 1/2 hours. The Ring Road itself is 1338km long and takes 16 1/2 hours to drive. Cities can be far between - we're roughly tied with Australia as the second least densely-populated country on Earth. The largest city outside the capitol region is Akureyri, which has under 19k people. Area-wise, we're between the size of England and Ireland - but have only about 355k people. The fifth largest city outside of Höfuðborgarsvæði (Reykjavík metro area) and Suðurnes (where the main airport is, just southwest of Reykjavík) is Ísafjörður, with only 2,6k people. And two of the cities larger than it (Selfoss and Akranes) are right near the Reykjavík metro.

We're very spread out! We need range and charge speed out here :)

One thing I look most forward to is trying to do a "single-recharge Ring Road trip". I'll have to hypermile it, in good weather! Thankfully our speed limits are low (90kph / 56mph).

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I am keeping my fingers crossed something happens tomorrow or the day after... And whatever I can do when the fingers are not crossed... ;)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm getting on a plane in a few hours to head to Iceland for the week for a photo workshop I've been wanting to do for many years... I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one Model 3!

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Finally back from Iceland, what an incredible place to experience in the winter!

I saw no Teslas sadly, but very impressed to see several EVs of all other brands, and charging stations everywhere, including parking lots in the middle of nowhere at tourist spots. It must be a no-brainer with cheap electricity and expensive fuel. I can certainly see why you would want a raised suspension, and imagine the Model Y will be popular and I bet the Tesla Pickup will give those superjeeps a good run for their money.

Here I am exploring the ice caves a few days ago...
20190309-111642-jpg.23107