Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just saw this on the Google Album.

I wonder how long repairs will take...

:(:(:(

View attachment 4619 View attachment 4620 View attachment 4621 View attachment 4622
I wanted to run and cover my 3's eyes when I saw this. :eek:

According to his social media, he's getting the car back next week, but we don't know when the actual accident happened (he says "a while back). Curious to know how long the repair took too! Looks like just bumper damage so hopefully it was an easy swap/calibrate sensors fix.

Shogun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting... even with chains on, looks like he slid into the rocks. Goes to show that even the best cars can't compensate for the weather and/or inexperienced winter driving.

Vistan

Country
Country
I'm far from a snow guy, living in San Diego, but if chains are required, shouldn't they be on the steering wheels as well?

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, if the production line bottleneck is at the GF, then the factory should be stamping out and stocking up on panels for repairs. The suppliers have been delivering a lot more parts than Tesla has built cars; some of that should be getting diverted into the parts&repair pipeline and delivered to service centers. Heck, the Model 3 should have extraordinarily good parts availability.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was wondering about this exactly recently, the sighting of the first wreck. As it turns out, not too bad of one...

Johnm6875

Country
Country
I'm far from a snow guy, living in San Diego, but if chains are required, shouldn't they be on the steering wheels as well?
CHP "chain control" requires just the drive wheels have chains. That's all I ever see and all I've ever used. Typically, no chains on 4X4's unless conditions are very severe.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Those tire chains are not the ones Tesla recommends. Per the description of the tire chains Tesla sells:

• Note: Chains should only be installed on the rear wheels of the Model 3 and only on 18" tires. The use of non-recommended tire chains has been shown to cause suspension and other vehicle damage.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...--18-pewag-sport-rss-76.html?sku=1130320-00-A

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting out, a rear wheel drive needs the chains more, or the car will not move. Conversely, when moving, you want the rear wheels to pull back on the car, to slow down, or the front end becomes the back end, if the front wheels were the only ones to have chains.
That said, I'm a little surprised that braking with rear wheels chained up was not able to stop the car.
As has been said, there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
interesting that front tires are lined up straight. eventually he turned the wheels after hitting back to 90°, or he didn't managed to steer against the sliding direction bacause the car breaked out so quickly due to fast accelerating or braking.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These posts got wrenches instead of likes in hopes they are repaired soon!

Painful to see this beautiful car damaged but thankful both seem very minor.

The problem with some chains on steering wheels is the sideways torque can pull the chains off. These don’t appear to be the fancy chains that are sold on Tesla’s site.

Chains help getting un-stuck or at slow speeds on dirt or deep snow covered roads. You don’t want to use them at speed or on bare pavement.

In other words they require some brains. That may have been the missing ingredient in this situation.

Or maybe he just hit a patch of black ice and lost all ability to steer despite some rear traction.

Be careful with your new baby and consider the investment in winter tires.

PTFI

FIRST OWNER!
FIRST MODEL 3 OWNER
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 2017 official manual says otherwise......maybe another revision is needed