First learnings/adjustments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What were the top adjustments/learnings in your first weeks as a m3 owner?
e. g
One pedal driving
Getting used to the tablet centric controls (anything more specific).

New Tesla owner , picking up m3 on 11th. moving from an Audi Q5. Not test driven an m3 yet and trying to see what prep may be required to ease the transition.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What were the top adjustments/learnings in your first weeks as a m3 owner?
e. g
One pedal driving
Getting used to the tablet centric controls (anything more specific).

New Tesla owner , picking up m3 on 11th. moving from an Audi Q5. Not test driven an m3 yet and trying to see what prep may be required to ease the transition.
Still waiting for my own to arrive, but did rent one a couple months ago and wrote up a summary of my experience here
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/24-hrs-with-a-model-3-turo.6406/
But to summarize based on my memory...
For the first drive, I’d say the only learning curve adjustment was getting the feel for the regen braking and not letting up too much on the accelerator to slightly slow down on the freeway (coming from a manual transmission car). After that first 30 minute drive, it wasn’t an issue.
To a much slighter degree (and probably also because I’m coming from a manual gearshift car), pulling out of my driveway at night I got stuck not able to find reverse on the gear selector and had to turn the dome light on (maybe all automatic cars have the gears organized the same on the lever and it was just me)
The screen was not an issue at all (but that may be more because my current car’s instrument cluster is designed in a way that nearly any angle from the sun during the day makes it impossible to read, so I am not dependent on watching it while driving).
Because it was a rental, I was limited to just using the keycard, so could not try out the phone as a key, but even with just the card, getting into and driving off was much less effort than with a key.

Jim Brown

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 for a little over a month (November 3rd). I can say by far, it's the coolest, most exciting, most fun car I've ever driven in my life. Red, AWD, 19'' sport wheels, Autopilot. The regenerative braking is so cool. I think since I've had my car, I've pushed on the brake to actually stop, maybe 10 times. Maybe. I really LOVE how quiet it is. I drove my 2000 Jeep Cherokee the other day and man did that sound LOUD and clunky! Using my phone as a key is great. I'm still getting used to walking outta the house with no keys in my pocket. That still seems a little weird. And I still reach for a gear shift on the console sometimes when I'm in the Tesla. I have to watch out sometimes when I'm driving through a residential neighborhood that I don't go too fast. Usually the speed limit is 25 mph and it's very easy to find myself at 35-40 before I know it. Merging into highway traffic is actually kinda fun. Push down on the accelerator and I'm at 70 mph is just a few seconds.

I drive my grandkids (5th grade and 2nd grade) to school every morning and it's pretty cool to see the looks on the other kids faces when we drive through the carpool lane. And the kids have had fun teaching the teachers how to open the car door.

The Tesla is a bit "overprotective" when on cruise control or Autopilot. When it has slowed for a car in front that is moving outta my lane. That car has to be completely outta my lane before the Tesla will accelerate again. I've had a car cross over my lane while making a turn and the Tesla has slowed when before in my Jeep I may have just taken my foot off the gas. But I'm learning to use my accelerator to compensate for that.

It's just a cool car. It's fun to drive. I think it's gonna feel that way for a long long time.

Even the "frunk" is pretty cool. I use it every time I go to the grocery store. The clips to attach the handles of plastic grocery bags really work. I've never had a gallon of milk topple over on my drive home.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know this is an old post, but I have had my M3 for about 5 days now and just want to let out some of my excitement... maybe some other new owners can benefit.

By far, slowing down with regen braking is #1 thing to get used to, hence already mentioned by each of the posts above mine. It's actually not too hard to get used to, I feel I'm already pretty good and it's only been 5 days, but I could use a little more practice. The part I'm actually more afraid of is going back to my wife's Prius where regen braking is done completely differently. Next time I drive her car, I'm afraid I will linger on the gas pedal too long while approaching a stop and have to slam on the brakes before I hit the car in front of me.

The rest of the things to get used to listed below aren't nearly as substantial:
1) No need to push a button or turn a key when getting in the car, just put it in reverse or drive and go. Sometimes I find my hand instinctively reaching to the right of the steering wheel when I get in
2) No E-Brake, either by hand or foot. All the "automatic" cars I've driven in the past several years have the e-brake operated by the foot. Sometimes when I stop the car and put it in park, I find my left foot stomping down on nothing
3) Following #2, pressing the button on the right stalk to put the car in park, I still have to consciously think about that one a bit.
4) Dragging the charging cable out everytime I get home and park. My old car, I could just get out and run in the house! And conversely, rolling up the charging cable before getting in the car
5) If you have EAP, sometimes I forget I turned off auto steer and wonder why I'm starting to drift into the next lane
6) Speaking of EAP, the first few times you use autopilot, you will probably think to youself... what should I go with my hands (besides nudge the wheel every once in a while). I literally found myself twiddling my thumbs the first two times I used it.
7) The doors require a bit more force to close. I heard it gets easier as they break in.
8) I haven't fully figured out the climate controls yet. I know how to work it, but unlike my old car's climate controls, it seems to blow the fan harder than it needs to, or it seems to blow colder air more often than it needs to. I think this will take more experimenting, and since it doesn't have engine heat, I'm sure the thermodynamics are a little different. Plus, I try to leave the heater off to get maximum efficiency (I'm in CA, don't really need it during winter anyway)
9) OP mentioned the tablet controls... I think it's actually simpler that say an iPad Settings menu. But I'm a total tech geek so I have no problems digging down into all the nitty gritty settings.
10) Probably a lot more stuff I didn't think of off the top of my head

As you can see with my lengthy reply, this car has been a blast overall, and I can't see it getting boring anytime soon, especially with software updates all the time!